All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Took the Harley out Received this Padron cigar in a sampler from a good friend on another forum. Told him I’d try to enjoy it this weekend. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. GRIZZLY BEARS SAVED THIS VETERAN'S LIFE. NOW, HE'S RETURNING THE FAVOUR Author Doug Peacock spent years in the wild with grizzly bears. Here's how the bears saved him, how to handle bear charges, and more wisdom. Doug Peacock served two tours in the Vietnam War as a medic with the U.S. Army Special Forces. To find peace, he spent much of the time imagining he was somewhere else—Yellowstone National Park. When he got back, he sought solitude there, and lived amongst a landscape that he’d previously only dreamed about. He soon encountered grizzly bears, and as he got to know these creatures, he came to respect and love them. They changed his life forever. Peacock, who is the real-life basis for the character George Hayduke in his friend Edward Abbey’s book, The Monkey Wrench Gang, has since devoted the last half-century to writing about and advocating for the grizzly bear, which remains a threatened species due to decades of hunting and habitat loss. A new film called Grizzly Country covers Peacock’s life story and passion for grizzlies. National Geographic caught up with the author to learn about what it’s like to live safely around the animals, how to prevent bear attacks, and other life lessons. HOW’D YOU DECIDE TO GO TO INTO THE WILDERNESS AFTER THE WAR? DID YOU LOVE THE OUT-OF-DOORS FROM A YOUNG AGE? Yes, I was raised in the woods of Michigan. After the war I was really out of sorts, like countless other vets. I couldn’t talk to anybody. So I went to the one place I was comfortable, the wilderness, in the northern Rocky Mountains. As the snow melted, I went north, to the Wind River wilderness [in Wyoming]. Then I came down with malaria. I had to go to a flatter, gentler place, and that was Yellowstone. HOW’D YOU COME INTO CONTACT WITH GRIZZLY BEARS? There were grizzlies there. I wasn’t looking for them, but I ran into them, and they got my attention. They’ve been part of my life ever since. Those bears saved my life. HOW? In grizzly country, humans are put in their proper place—you are not the dominant creature on the landscape. It’s a matter of getting yourself outside yourself. Your senses are forced outward. You see better. You smell better. It’s not yourself which is the centre of the universe. It’s an enforced humility. DO YOU REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME YOU ENCOUNTERED A GRIZZLY BEAR? Yes. I was in the Yellowstone area soaking in a hot spring. It was a cold October day, and I looked across the meadow, and there was a mother grizzly and two yearling cubs, about 200 to 300 feet away. I knew you weren’t supposed to get that close. The wind is blowing, and I’m naked in this hotspring. So I decide to climb a lodgepole pine. I grab the low branches and stand up, but because [of the shock of quickly rising from hot water], I blacked out. I fell and cut a huge gash in my forehead. Blood is running down into my eyes. I’m terrified, so I scramble to the top of the tree. When I arrive at the top, I discover it isn’t much taller than a Christmas tree. It’s blowing like hell and I’m naked and bleeding and the bears, without ever looking at me, grazing in the meadow, come within about 25 feet. I’m up there like some silly species of towhee or wren, clinging to the top of this tree. They never even looked up. THAT’S AMAZING. BUT THIS WAS NOT YOUR CLOSEST CALL WITH GRIZZLIES, RIGHT? Right, I’ve been charged a couple dozen times—almost always by moms with cubs, and almost always it was my fault, mainly in the early days. Mother bears only care that you’re not a threat to her cubs. But they don’t always charge. A couple years ago, a mother grizzly caught me and my daughter in a raging wind, and we huddled behind a rock and I told my daughter not to move. The mother stood up, moving her nose around to sniff... and decides we’re not a threat. She proceeds to walk right past us, 20 feet away. She stopped at the edge of a cliff, and nursed her yearling cub for like seven minutes, right in front of us. It was really magic. WOW. WERE YOU NOT AFRAID? I’ve just had enough experience with wild grizzlies that... I don’t have that kind of fear. I don’t do anything that to a bear would seem aggressive. I don’t look at the bear, or shout at the bear, or make any movements, and if I do, I do very slowly. The people who get mauled are the people who run, and climb trees, and yell at them. SO IF A GRIZZLY IS CHARGING YOU, YOU SHOULD REMAIN TOTALLY STILL. Yes. Completely. I have precipitated charges by merely reaching for something. And don’t look at the bear, as that’s considered aggressive. A grizzly bear that stands up isn’t going to maul you. Unless you do something stupid, it’s just trying to see and smell better. HOW DID YOU DECIDE TO BEGIN FILMING THE BEARS? When I lived alone in the backcountry of Yellowstone, even a wacko ‘Nam vet could tell the bears weren’t doing well, being shot into extinction—as many as 270 grizzlies were killed from 1968 to 1973, according to researcher Frank Craighead. (The bears were listed as threatened in 1975.) These bears had done me a modestly great service, and I had to return the favour. So I filmed them, and used that film to advertise their plight. I shared my film [with National Geographic and others] and went around showing the footage to people and talking about the bears. And by that time I’d started a family, so I began writing about it all to make a living, and I’m still working for the bears. HOW SO? I still go around talking about them, and have been fighting the delisting effort [in which the Fish and Wildlife Service proposed taking the grizzly bear off the Endangered Species List, a move that was overturned]. (Related: Will grizzlies survive being hunted?) We have a record number of illegal grizzly kills in the Yellowstone area, beyond anything in the historical record. [It’s mostly] by people that don’t know better. They don’t know grizzly bears, they tend to fear what they don’t know, and they hate what they fear. HOW’D YOU MEET EDWARD ABBEY, AND WHAT WAS YOUR FRIENDSHIP LIKE? I met Ed in 1968 and we started camping together. He was one of my closest friends ever, but it was a cantankerous friendship. He was a grouch and I’m not piece of cake myself. All the important things in our lives, we did together and collaborated on. I was alone with him in his last lucid minutes; I told him where he was going to be buried and that was the last time I saw him smile. I buried him in a beautiful spot in the desert.
  4. Today
  5. Porsche’s 515HP 911 RSR Is Ready To Dominate The Race Track Since 2017, the Porsche RSR has garnered the German marque a whopping 20 class wins in the FIA WEC. Shockingly, however, the brand’s engineers still saw plenty of room for improvement. So they took the race car back to the drawing board and reworked it into the beastly 2019 Porsche 911 RSR you see before you. The biggest change to the previous iteration of this vehicle can be found under the hood — the naturally-aspirated flat-six engine has been bumped up from 4.0- to 4.2-liters, making this the highest-capacity engine ever mounted inside a Porsche 911 “ex-works.” That powerplant is now capable of producing up to 515 horsepower and offers better driveability than its predecessor. To mate with the engine, the RSR also features a revamped exhaust system with dual side exhausts that are lighter and more aerodynamic. The engineers at Weissach also tweaked and fine-tuned the aerodynamics of the vehicle in the Porsche wind tunnel. Of course, the body is still built out of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic and the body panels can be quickly swapped for improved pit stop efficiency. This speedster is set to dominate the track this September and the customer-ready version should be available sometime in 2020.
  6. Crikey the zombie apocalypse is correct on that picture! Great pictures and nice review.
  7. New ‘Watchmen’ Trailer Reveals a Vast Conspiracy, Laurie Blake, and the Arrival of Doctor Manhattan HBO has released a new trailer for Watchmen, Damon Lindelof‘s adaptation of the groundbreaking comic book series by writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons. There’s a lot to dig into over these juicy three minutes, so cue up David Bowie‘s “Life on Mars?” and let’s get into it. First things first, it’s genuinely impossible to parse out what Lindelof and Co. are going for here story-wise, as this trailer does a fantastic job showing you a ton while revealing the meaning behind very little. Clearly, a cult-y organization of some kind has sprouted up that follows the hardline code of the masked vigilante Rorschach, even going as far as to summarize his famous diary quote: “Soon they will shout, ‘Save us!’ And we will whisper, ‘No.'” The trailer also reveals that the all-powerful Doctor Manhattan is living on Mars—although that definitely appears to be his blue hand at the end—which would set the action somewhere in the middle of the comic series. Complicating that a bit is the fact that nothing else looks similar to the events of the comic series. Most of it actually looks like it takes place in the aftermath of the plan enacted by Adrian Veidt—played here by Jeremy Irons—to stage a violent alien invasion in order to bring together every country on Earth. (Peep that newspaper headline that reads “Veidt Officially Declared Dead”.) Probably the biggest revelation is the fact that Jean Smart is playing “Laurie Blake”, a name that could be a coincidence, or it could suggest she’s playing an older version of Silk Spectre who has taken the name of her father, Edward Blake, a.k.a. The Comedian. That would be…quite the thing. I’m still not quite sure what the deal is with Regina King‘s vigilante character, but it definitely looks like the plot pretty much revolves around her. Check out the trailer below. Watchmen premieres on HBO in October 2019.
  8. First ‘Snowpiercer’ Trailer Teases the TBS TV Series Adaptation TBS has revealed the first Snowpiercer trailer for the upcoming TV series adaptation of the critically acclaimed Bong Joon-ho film. Set more than seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer centers on the remnants of humanity, who inhabit a 1001 car, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. This looks like a very straightforward adaptation of the 2014 film, albeit lacking the darkly comedic and more satirical touches of Joon-ho’s vision. Daveed Diggs fills the Chris Evans role here, with some key changes. While he still plays a character from the impoverished back-end of the train, he’s recruited by the folks at the front of the train to help track down a killer. And while this trailer boasts “a series from the creator of Orphan Black,” Graeme Mason was not the first showrunner onboard Snowpiercer. Indeed, the show has had a tumultuous development period as it was originally created by Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) before he was fired over creative differences. Doctor Strange filmmaker Scott Derrickson directed Friedman’s original pilot, but when the network asked for reshoots, he declined to return out of solidarity with Friedman and a difference in Mason’s “radically different vision” for the series. This trailer looks sufficient, and I’m inclined to check this thing out when it airs, but you do get the feeling it’s lacking the teeth that made Joon-ho’s film so special. We’ll find out when the series premieres on TBS in Spring 2020. The network has already renewed Snowpiercer for a second season.
  9. A New Legend Begins In The First Trailer For Netflix's The Witcher
  10. FOH LOCKER UPDATE Some unfortunate news folks. Government Legislation which came into effect on the 1st of July this year will see the end of the locker system for international members. This was flagged May 18 and we have done our best to curtail it but it didn't prove possible There is no need to panic as the lockers will not close permanently until the 1st of December 2020. That is 16 months to get your house in order but we will require you to move your stock progressively either home or via FOHauctions. An email will be sent to existing locker members detailing what is required. Abandoned Lockers (owners who have made no contact for a number of years and cannot be located) will be sold and funds held for the legally required period of time. With the successful launch of FOH Auctions (www.Fohauctions.com), members now have an option to move aged product (3 years+) from their lockers for sale. For the next 90 days we are waiving the sellers fee but naturally there are only so many boxes that we can list. I would recommend getting in early as once FOH schedule lists are full, they are full. We will handle all aspects of the sale for you and are focusing (give preference to) boxes 5 years +. For FOHAuctions sales inquiries, please email Lisa (lisa@fohauctions.com). get them in quick Keep the above timing in mind when you are determining your locker strategy. We will work with you at every stage but you will need to start putting a plan in place now. I wish I had better news!
  11. I think it was perfect to smoke, being kept at 60RH in a tightly sealed Tupperdor, and then when I took it out this afternoon the humidity wreaked havoc on it. When I took it out, it was almost on the crackly side, but that's how I like CCs, they smoke so well at high 50s RH. Thanks, the Shorts was a great smoke, beautiful cigar, performed well.
  12. Oh man that’s unfortunate. So do you think it was over humidified (bc of the weather) and then when you kept it at 60rh the difference in humidity levels did that? the PS looks top notch though 😁
  13. So this isn't a review of a horrible cigar, but with the funky humidity that hit California (and much worse for the rest of the country), this Epicure Especial from @slowsmoke (thanks man) turned into a wrapper nightmare. It has to be said that this cigar already had a thin wrapper and maybe me keeping it at 60 RH just exacerbated the problem. But all was fine till I went out on my local course and lit up. Then it all went bad. Just started crumbling. I smoked it slowly and deliberately though, and even though it started to look crappy, it actually tasted okay. First third was burnt coffee cream. Not too bad. Next third was surprisingly good, burnt taste gone and I was getting full on cream and espresso. However, as you can see, this cigar is a cousin of @lovethehaze Punch Punch (see his review). The beginning of the last third was more of the same good flavor, so even if my golf game generally sucked today, i was as happy as a clam! Made a few great puts too and won a soda and chips prize from my golf buddies. At that point, I knew it was over for this Especial. The humidity caused the cigar to swell. I couldn't even slide those bands off to save them. Good bye Especial. Followed it up for the back 9 with a vanilla-y Partagas Shorts with a beautiful shiny wrapper, no problems whatsoever!
  14. they just need to retire already. charlie clemons plays a great trumpet.
  15. First one from a May 18 box of PSP no.4s. Trying do do it's best impression of a Padron 1926/64 with the unintentional boxpress. Flavors were a little muted to me, possibly due to a slightly snug draw. Planning to revisit in another month or so. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  16. i had one as a pet for about five years. i miss it. bloody david attenborough. saw a doco where the scorpions ate centipedes. put a small one in fore the scorpion. took about 90 seconds for the thing to put an end to my scorpion.
  17. Get a great bottle of Bourbon, pour into glass, drink, repeat. No ice, water, club soda, stones,etc. Best accompaniment to a cigar (unless you wanna upgrade to Rye).
  1. Load more activity

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.