All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Cohiba Lancero MAR OCT ‘21 Great-feeling cigar with a nice, even pack. Aroma is barnyard/hay, cold draw shows me hints of honey and gingersnaps to come. Little Martha starts playing on the speakers, which is strangely coincidental. The first Cohiba I ever had was with my band by a pool, after a gig. Nearly 25 years ago. We were listening to Allman Bros, and I’m certain Little Martha was in that mix. RIP, Dickey Betts. Hope you’re having a hell of a time in Heaven with Duane and Gregg. Light-up puff has just a hint of heat, not really pepper but more like a smoky chiii oil. It was gone before my brain even registered, almost. A little toast and hay on the palate, and a blast of honey on the finish. After light-up, though, things are muted for a bit. The first third takes its time opening up, but eventually shows me gingersnap and honey, with a great creamy texture. Smoke output is very good, and strength seems right around medium. Nearing the second third, ginger isn’t as prevalent, and the gingersnap morphs into more of a graham cracker vibe. Cinnamon and honey. There is also some plentiful earth and hay in the mix. Texture turns a little dry here. As the second third begins, the earthiness kicks up a notch, but doesn’t take away from the honey and baking spices, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg. These are baking spices that carry sweetness, but also some earthy qualities, and so the marriage really works. Also, I’m getting some coriander seed. Compliments the honey very nicely, and offers the slightest bit of citrus to the experience. The graham cracker seems to be fighting with some biscotti, as both alternate every few minutes. Fun little conflict between cinnamon and almond! Some construction problems here and there, involving a few touch-ups. Around the midpoint, the honey starts to get darker, approaching molasses but not quite. A little vanilla too, reminding me of toffee. Texture also returns to a nice creamy vibe. In the last act, graham cracker has beat out biscotti, with the almond all but gone. Honey returns to the mix, but it’s a slightly spicy honey. This heat might come from a couple of necessary relights. Construction here in the last half has been not the best, going out sporadically, but flavor is still nearly on point. As I remove the band with a couple inches left, some earthiness develops, a little bit of forest floor funk, and some wood. Hickory or oak. BBQ smoke. “Thin blue smoke,” as they say. Coriander also comes back near the end, along with a dusting of clove or anise. Nice herbal and savory blend here at the end, with a touch of that spicy honey and dark citrus. Other than the handful of touch-ups and a couple of relights, this cigar has been a delight, bringing lots of complexity and a good balance of sweet and savory. Smoke time was just under two hours for me, and I give this an 89. Would’ve scored higher, if not for construction problems. As I said before, the flavor did not suffer from this, but it’s annoying - and a waste of fuel - to touch up and relight such a high-value stick that many times. Even after dry-boxing a couple days. Still, a good morning spent!
  3. I don't know about that, i just know i like robustos but imo longer and thinner cigars offer a richer smoking experience and i guess that's why most experienced smokers prefer them, no matter where they're from. Maybe robustos are easier to "read" for beginners and of course they must be easier to roll too, hence their popularity...
  4. Today
  5. They each fill a need. Robusto's are a more casual to smoke. Easy to puff with lots of smoke. They don't take as long to finish as a Lonsdale. Americans may prefer informality of the Robusto. It is more our culture than the pomp and circumstance of the European mind set.
  6. Its all of that. Cultivated area for tobacco halved Competent rollers are leaving the country. No electricity. No gasoline for tractors. Payments has not increased in line with inflation.The farmers prefer to plant vegetables and other food so that they at least have something to eat (after that the soil is no longer usable for tobacco). Provincial factories send their cigars to Havana to be sorted and boxed because they no longer have boxes or sorters. So the spreed of taste and quality per box is more and more different. Matching tobacco for certain brands is missing. I can no longer taste the specific character of many Marcas. And so on. Just my opinion.
  7. A good friend of mine told me that Polish take a bite of a fresh onion to help fight it. Never tried though 🤔
  8. 7 of the 11 judges on dc circuit court of appeals were appointed by Obama or Biden.For what it’s worth
  9. I can't answer for sure but i can tell you european aficionados would have given a very similar answer to that question. I like every vitola myself but i wouldn't mind should robustos disappear... I couldn't say the same about PCs, lonsdales or coronas gordas.
  10. I just got a box from El Prez. I had never had one before, but know they are held in high regard. Glad I stumbled on this thread and it'll prove helpful when I finally dive in.
  11. Very interesting answers. I genuinely thought everyone was ignoring this because they thought Robustos were the obvious answer. It’s excellent to see PC and Corona defenders. Seems like in Europe in the 70s and 80s they were the “default”. I heard from Nicholas Foulkes once that Partagas D4 was down to 5,000 production numbers at one point in the 80s. Is it solely American “brashness” that changed the fashion?
  12. Why does the FDA want to fight this so hard? Does it create loopholes or are they just poopheads?
  13. Juan Lopez No 2. One of the work-horse Robustos of my humidor and a truly classic Cuban. Dark chocolate and citrus. I’ve been looking into the reasons for the dark ash and it’s apparently something to do with mineral content in soil. New worlds whiter = more magnesium.
  14. Not much for overdrinking, but in the times it used to happen, my go-to's were hydration during the libations and a cheesesteak or plate of jambalaya, chili omelette, or such the next morning.
  15. Never an issue just leave them alone unopened .
  16. https://www.regulatoryoversight.com/2024/04/whats-at-stake-for-the-premium-cigar-industry-as-dc-circuit-considers-fda-appeal/ What’s at Stake for the Premium Cigar Industry as DC Circuit Considers FDA Appeal? By Michael Jordan, Bryan Haynes & Agustin Rodriguez on April 23, 2024 POSTED IN FDA, FEDERAL COURT, REGULATORY LITIGATION, TOBACCO In August 2023, Judge Amit P. Mehta of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia partially vacated a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) rule that had “deemed” premium cigars subject to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA), known as the “Deeming Rule.” This decision exempted premium cigars from FDA’s tobacco product authorities. In September 2023, however, FDA appealed, and the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit is currently weighing the matter. So, what would it take for FDA to succeed on appeal, and what is at stake for the premium cigar industry? (1) FDA has two main arguments on appeal. First, the agency argues that it properly “deemed” premium cigars subject to the FDCA. In July 2022, Judge Mehta determined that the FDA’s decision to deem premium cigars subject to the FDCA was arbitrary and capricious because the agency disregarded data concerning the relative public health risks and negligible youth use of premium cigars. Second, even if the D.C. Circuit finds FDA did not adequately consider this data, FDA argues that Judge Mehta chose the wrong remedy. Instead of vacating the Deeming Rule for premium cigars, FDA argues that the district court should have remanded the matter back to FDA to consider the data further and issue updated findings. This would have left FDA’s regulation of premium cigars intact. A remand, however, is not the typical remedy in this scenario. If FDA prevails on either of these issues, premium cigars would again be subject to FDCA requirements, including, user fees; domestic establishment registration requirements; product, ingredient, label, and advertising submissions; recordkeeping requirements; free sampling restrictions; and the federal minimum purchase age of 21. (2) Importantly, nothing in FDA’s appeal would disturb prior court orders vacating or enjoining the premarket review and health warning requirements for premium cigars. Judge Mehta included specific language in his prior orders making clear that the district court’s resolution of the claims regarding premarket review and health warning requirements were final judgments, so that they could be appealed. This includes an order enjoining FDA from enforcing the statutory premarket-review scheme against premium cigars because the agency failed to consider an abbreviated, less burdensome process for premium cigars, which FDA did not appeal. Any attempt by FDA to appeal this decision would be untimely. The court also already resolved a claim (in favor of FDA) that the Deeming Rule’s requirement that premium cigar packaging and advertising carry specified health warnings was arbitrary and capricious. The court issued an order stating that its decision was an appealable, final judgment, and that order was reversed on appeal by the D.C. Circuit in favor of industry. Thus, premium cigars are not subject to FDA health warning requirements, and no further appeals can be made on this matter. What’s Next? Briefing on the matter is currently set to conclude by May 23, and oral argument has not yet been scheduled. It is impossible to predict with certainty how long the D.C. Circuit might take to rule after oral argument, but we anticipate that it could take approximately a year or more. Our team regularly advises premium cigar manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers regarding their obligations under federal and state law. If you have any questions about what the FDA appeal could mean for your business, our team is happy to assist.
  17. Nomos, Oris, Zodiac, and Certina are value oriented brands that watch enthusiasts wouldn't snicker at.
  18. Laco pilot watch for under 500 might be a good option. Made in Germany.
  19. I had to Google " treacle". Cointreau is a foreign word to me too.
  1. Load more activity

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.