All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Tough call for me. Two iconic actors, two legendary films, one really great story. The nostalgic setting and Brando's masterful and intense acting in Pt.1, versus Michael Corleone's ascension to power and the more complex and intriguing plot in Pt. 2. They were both equally entertaining, even though for different reasons. To me it seemed more like one movie divided into two parts, rather than two separate movies. I have to give it to Pt. 2 by a just a hair. I simply can't imagine how you could end the story with pt.1 and not make pt. 2.
  3. mtd057

FOH'ers Daily Smoke

I tried, I really did. I could not get into this Fonscea #1 MEL Jun 2016. Great construction and burn, but just wasn't for me. I might try another in a few months but I am not very optimistic. Now my 2nd choice, a Cohiba Panetelas, was pretty good. I found it to be much more flavorful than the Fonseca. Short and sweet. Now that I am thinking about it, I might put the Fonseca's up for trade.
  4. I picked The Godfather for 2 reasons; it is the only one I watched all the way through, and secondly... this scene...
  5. MIKA27

FORMULA 1

BERGER: HAMILTON IS AT THE LEVEL OF SENNA Gerhard Berger has always rated former teammate Ayrton Senna in a league of his own but he says Lewis Hamilton now ranks alongside the late Brazilian Formula 1 champion in his estimation. Speaking ahead of the 25th anniversary of Senna’s death at Imola on May 1, Berger told reporters his friend still led as a personality and the legend that surrounds him. In purely sporting terms, however, the similarities were clear. “Everybody asks me ‘How do you see this driver against Ayrton?’ and I always, in all the years, say ‘I don’t see anybody near to Ayrton’,” explained the Austrian, who partnered Senna at McLaren from 1990-92. “But Lewis is (now) the first driver I put on the same level as Ayrton.” Berger, who won 10 races for Benetton, McLaren and Ferrari between 1986 and 1997 and now runs the DTM (German Touring Car) series, said statistics were only one way of measuring greatness. “I go more by feeling and watching, and for me — and there were great champions like Nelson (Piquet), like Niki (Lauda), like (Alain) Prost, like Michael (Schumacher) – there has always been one above: Ayrton,” he said. “And now Lewis I see in the same league. Hamilton has five championships, one with McLaren in 2008 and four with Mercedes in the last five seasons. He is leading the championship into this weekend’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix. The 34-year-old Briton holds several records, including most pole positions (84), and his 75 wins are second only to seven times champion Schumacher’s career haul of 91. Senna won three championships with McLaren and held the record for poles (65) before Hamilton. The Brazilian won 41 races and would surely have gone on to many more had he not died at the age of 34. “The comparison? I see still Ayrton winning the game because in the end Ayrton was such a charming guy and a personality. And obviously if someone loses his life and stays with us in the way of a legend, it’s always something special,” said Berger. “But I try to see it from a performance point and from a performance point, Lewis is going from one pole position to the next one and Lewis is going from one race win to the next one. Just like Ayrton did.” Berger said Hamilton was “outstandingly fast”, made fewer mistakes than rivals and knew when to be patient. “It looks like he’s just running the game in such a good way that he’s unbeatable at the moment,” said the Austrian. “Yes he’s in the best car and best engine, but he also is the best. By far the best man at the moment.” He said Hamilton had a good chance of breaking Schumacher’s records. “I would like to protect Michael’s success because such a tragedy, it’s so sad to see these things,” Berger added, referring to the 2013 ski accident that left the German with severe head injuries. “But when you put this all out (aside) for a moment, then Lewis Hamilton is a very special driver in all the time I watched and have been in Formula One.”
  6. MIKA27

FORMULA 1

PROST: RENAULT WILL HAVE ONE OF THE BEST ENGINES IN F1 Multiple Formula 1 World Champion Alain Prost is convinced that Renault will get their act together and will soon have the best engine in the top flight despite the fact that, right now, they are simply way off the pace benchmark. The Renault powered brigade are hardly setting the world alight, the quartet of drivers toiling in cars what are anything between one and 1..5 seconds off Ferrari and Mercedes, while their reliability has been a huge disappointment, even shocking considering the expectations put out there by the team. Prost explained in an interview with Marca, “We know we’re very close to the engine limits right now. Sometimes reliability issues are unavoidable. It’s part of the game and we must accept it, “Renault will have one of the best engines in Formula One. We are not divulging now, but we have the data and we will tackle improvements step-by-step,” he added, but wisely omitting a timeline to this PU Valhalla. Nevertheless, Prost as a Renault ambassador with considerable influence is providing timely support for Renault team chief Cyril Abiteboul who needs to start delivering at some point before the board starts asking questions if they have not already… Three of the four Renault powered drivers have scored points, the trio combined to reach 20 points so far this season, compared to Mercedes 0n 130 points after three rounds.
  7. MIKA27

FORMULA 1

RENAULT: WE NEED TO RESOLVE ISSUES THAT COULD COMPROMISE OUR SEASON Renault F1 Team previews the fourth race weekend of the 2019 FIA Formula 1 World Championship, the SOCAR Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Drivers Nico Hülkenberg and Daniel Ricciardo share their thoughts on the challenges of the Baku City Circuit, while Cyril Abiteboul and Chassis Technical Director Nick Chester give the latest on the team and on the 2019 package. Cyril Abiteboul, Team Principal: “If our objective this season – to widen the midfield gap – remains unchanged then we must accept to put in strong efforts to resolve these issues that could compromise our season.” “Nevertheless, we will push on and bring new elements over the next races. Baku is often unpredictable, the racing there is thrilling and it is an opportunity to capitalise on rivals’ errors whilst avoiding making some ourselves.” Nick Chester, Chassis Technical Director: “Baku has a nice layout, which makes it very interesting. It’s almost three circuits put together. The first section is like Sochi with right-angled corners and some straights, then the middle section is similar to Monaco and the final part like Canada with a long straight.” “It’s a tricky combination to get right as, ideally, you’d run a different downforce level for each sector. There’s always a compromise for downforce levels there.” Nico Hülkenberg: “Baku is an interesting place and has a different feeling to the conventional Grand Prix weekend. It’s also a bit different to any street track because everything is located quite close together, including the distance between the hotel to the paddock.” “The old town buildings, vintage houses, castles and cobbled streets are all quite cool to see. The race is also interesting year on year; I’ve been a little unlucky for the past two seasons there, but you have to be in the right place at the right time to capitalise on any opportunity.” Daniel Ricciardo: “Baku is a unique circuit, different to other street circuits we race on, because there are a lot of places to overtake. Baku has been interesting for me; I’ve had high points, like the crazy win in 2017, and also some low points like last season.” “2017 was a wild race, it was like we were karting and all of us were kids again. There are some things in Baku, which future circuits could replicate. The long, winding straight lends itself to massive slip-streaming and close racing. It’s a low downforce setting on the car, making it a low grip circuit.”
  8. MIKA27

FORMULA 1

RED BULL: NO MARGIN FOR ERROR ON THE STREETS OF BAKU If someone could invent an algorithm that set out the ground rules for a successful grand prix, they’d likely be set for life. It’s rare for F1 to arrive at a new venue with a solid idea of what the future holds. It does happen – Singapore and Mokpo spring to mind, though for different reasons – but at most venues the jury is out, and stays out for a few years. Baku wasn’t granted a particularly easy introduction but, after three races, it’s achieved that golden status as race fans look forward to watching. It’s a pretty good one to work at too. The reasons for a race to misfire are complex but the success stories tend to be more straightforward: Baku is a successful venue because it produces interesting, often dramatic, races. It features high speeds, low grip and big walls. There’s an expectation of Safety Cars, plenty of overtaking opportunities and – for an April race – a good chance of the wind playing havoc with setup. Baku is known as ‘The City of Winds’, with a cold northern wind (Khazri) and a warm southern wind (Gilavar) fighting for dominance. In F1’s first two visits, in June of 2016 and 2017, that wasn’t hugely significant (though the aerodynamicists may argue otherwise) but last year, with the race being held in April for the first time, and the city being in the eye of a gale, it suddenly made a lot more sense. It seems bizarre that a sport as high-tech as F1 can be derailed by a stiff breeze, but on that truly vast start-finish straight, the difference between braking down from 370kph for Turn One into the teeth of a 40kph gust, or a moment of calm, is the difference between making the corner or not. The first corner is quite possibly the only one the race team will see all weekend, given that our hotel is right next to it. No shuttles required in Baku: it’s a walk of no more than a couple of minutes from garage to lodgings. We’re not particularly alone in that regard: like Singapore, the Baku City Circuit is a street race in the truest sense, with the circuit threaded through the heart of the city. It’s already turning into a race very popular with tourists, simply because everything is tightly contained, everyone is staying within a stone’s throw of the track, and that creates a really good race vibe. The first race (The 2016 European Grand Prix – the reasons for naming it thus are too murky to recount) was pretty good, but the last two have blown the doors off. 2017 – the debut Azerbaijan Grand Prix in name if not in fact – was won by ourselves, thanks to a superb drive from Daniel Ricciardo that saw him pitting early with radiators full of debris, coming out at the back of the field and then scything his way through the pack to win in relative comfort. Last year we had high hopes of a repeat, and when that didn’t happen, high hopes of a podium – but then Max and Daniel contrived to crash into each other. Their battle up until that point was pretty exciting and probably highly entertaining for the neutral. It was just as exciting in the garage – though for different reasons. This year we’re excited to find out what the RB15 has to offer. Max Verstappen: “Baku is quite an interesting race because on a street circuit, you usually want to run a lot of downforce. Because of the long straights between the corners in Baku, you have to find a bit of a compromise so that means you have quite low grip on the track and you slide around a bit.” “It’s a lot of fun to drive and especially the castle area, it’s very narrow but also it’s really cool for pictures to look back at. It’s a decent track for overtaking because of the long straight and especially with the DRS zone, so it’s always an exciting weekend and a lot of things can happen. It’s a big show and hopefully this year’s race will make for a good story.” Pierre Gasly: “I’m always excited for a race weekend and I’m looking forward to this fourth one of the season as we head back to Europe. I’m really excited because Baku is a street track which is always more challenging as there’s a lot less margin for error, and this gives you more adrenaline which is a positive for us racing drivers.” “The track is really cool and quite technical from one corner to another. It has the longest straight of the season with a lot of opportunities to overtake, which makes the racing super exciting on Sunday.” “When I raced in Formula 2, I started the race in Baku from last and had a good fight with Giovinazzi in the last couple of laps to finish P2. Things are progressively going in a better direction and it was good to get the fastest lap in China, so let’s see what we can do next weekend.”
  9. Part 1 is hands down the best, part 2 is ok. Part 3 is just so bad.
  10. So. Much. This.☝️ Both movies are great but for me Vito is Brando not DeNiro.
  11. MD Puffer

Booze run

Agreed. Champagne and Prosecco are both on my list. Either straight or as a spritzer/mixer- I don't think I can go wrong here. Vodka and (fill in the blank juice)- this base is covered and our current staple! They don't carry Delord, but I am going out on a limb and adding Jollite XO to the list. It'll be my first foray into the world of Armagnac. Cream based cocktails- this will be a hit I think. Again, new territory for me as well. In addition to White Russians, I have Mudslides, Rumchatas, and Brandy Alexanders on the list. The internet is a treasure trove of info. The best sites I've visited so far allow you to filter recipes based on ingredients on hand. As obvious as it was, I hadn't even considered daiquiris until you mentioned them! Oh yes, tequila is on the list. Shhhhhh. If she doesn't like something (eg Calvados), then I'll have to manage to finish it off on my own! 😏 Hah. good one! I have to narrow down the tequila choices. A full exploration of this one spirit will require multiple trips I think. Appleton Estate 12 yr old is on my list, as is Kraken black spiced rum. Spiced rum in general is new to me and I'm not sure if it's more for drinking straight or better suited in cocktails. This particular brand is not in stock at the location I'm going to- I'll be asking if they can order it since it's in their other stores. Frangelico is great and on my list, as is Chambord and a number of other fruit liqueurs. Does this have a name? Good advice here. Other items I'm picking up: Apfelkorn (I've loved this stuff since I was a kid and my Dad let me have some on a Volksmarsch in Germany), Riesling, plum wine, sangria, Irish cream, Limoncello, elderflower liqueur, blue curacao, Chartreuse yellow (still debating whether I should get this one), amaretto, Galliano (also debating on whether I should take the plunge), Kahlua, ginger liqueur, cognac, apricot brandy, Midori, and Rumple Minze. And Rompope. And chocolate liqueur, Tuaca, and finally creme de menthe. Advoocat is also on my list but out of stock. I think this is more than a good start. I'm up against a very discriminating palate!
  12. Part 1 was amazing, but I enjoyed the rise of Micheal in part 2
  13. FatherOfPugs

What's in your glass today?

Maker's Mark Cast Strength this evening.
  14. Lotusguy

24:24 WEDNESDAY

That must be some secondary market, because I see them on Facebook for $750 daily.
  15. I’m in Southern California. Temps have oddly been up and down for the past couple weeks and I can’t seem to get things to stabilize in my humidor. I too have the M plus 25D at about 3/4 capacity.
  16. Wilzc

FOH: A Week In Pictures.

Bubble tea anybody? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Sorry mate... you got sold a bill of goods! I could go on about the practical aspects of beaded desiccants as rH/temp buffers, however I would rather just say this. Why try to fix what ain't broke? Beaded desiccants have their purpose. However there is not much benefit beyond illusion as a passive buffer, in a porous, actively humidified humidor in a net rH negative enviornment. Cheers! -Piggy
  18. VRATJV07

@El Presidente any insight as to where these boxes of Monte 80th came from? I think a lot of us are very curious
  19. Today
  20. +1 on the pic request!
  21. holy crap, no kidding -dobbs
  22. ElReyDel757

@El Presidente, any 50 SLB of RASS on the horizon?
  1. Load more activity
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.