All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. If we assume that he truly owned most of what was included in the book, then the ~130 or so lots had some peculiar inclusions or exclusions and were but a very small selection of his overall collection. Was he intending to test the waters prior to his health declining? Very few of the lots scratch the surface of "legendary" status cigars. You mentioned the Siglo XXI humidor, 1492, CT25th/1987 and 1994, but he had so many others such as the Cohiba Coronas, Dinner of the Century, Sancho Dorados, PL Magnums/PL Dunhill 31, Punch Serie B/C, RyJ Clemenceau, Quintero Churchills, Green Box/Finest Selection banded Sir Winstons, etc, etc. The two super rare items I noticed were the Cohiba Coronas Especiales with the first gen bands and the Maria Guerrero Grandes de Espana, with the latter noted that he was aware of only two boxes in existence although others have surfaced since. LFDC Cristales and the Gran Coronas from the 1987-1992 period were certainly very rare, but what of the Short Churchills and Diademas? There are so many special releases for London merchants - JJ Fox & Dunhill Seleccions/variants being the most common, but also Fribourg & Treyer, Geo. F Trumper, House of Rothschild... yet only the Fox Nectares No 2 and another ERDM Fox Selection in the auction. I found the high quantities of en cello cigars - although not all machine made - to be interesting as well. The last surprise was that a box of the Festival del Habano Marevas from 2000 was not included. Back in the days of ICC, there was a theory he was sharing those with many members to increase the value as he had purchased too many boxes. Rob's comments earlier in the thread put it best - Eccentric, private, generous to those he trusted, sometimes controversial. Dr Nip was an enigma, as was his auction.
  3. Putin has sent an oil tanker to Cuba to help. They will need much more than that. You can't eat crude oil.
  4. Today
  5. Newbie here, read some of the other posts and feel like these are more than likely fake. Would appreciate an education if so.
  6. Are we really still explaining this to people who can’t be bothered to do some basic background reading? Yes, I guess we are. If they won’t take it from you, they’re hopeless. Conspiracy theorists are quick to dismiss scientific consensus and believe rumor and conjecture. Classic symptoms of paranoia. But hey, as George Carlin said, you only have to be right once to make all the paranoid thinking worth while!
  7. I read this.... The bridge was destroyed by a ship that is registered in Singapore, owned by a Hong Kong company, chartered by a Danish company, and (maybe) managed by an Indian company. It’ll be years before it’s sorted.
  8. petite corona Haven’t had time here yet in Cali for a bigger vitola yet. First cigar in beautiful weather First 3rd barnyard, very earthy and rich toasted tobacco,slightly creamy smoke texture, great smoke output, medium strength almost a hint of cherry trying to come through. Second 3rd More cherry notes and now more med to medium-full in strength, great smoke output, earthy dark toasted tobacco Final 3rd picking up a slight ammonia they sure do burn quicker without that Alaskan humidity. Now the ammonia is backing off and it’s mainly dark toasted tobacco Nub stage suprised me w/ how far and earthy it is and the ammonia tappered off Nope, Meh, ok, decent, good(nub worthy), great, phenomenal Was good and had the potential for being great if not for the slight sourness of the ammonia on the final 3rd. I’d say between good and great overall. So far I’m loving the aftertaste of sweet toasted tobacco in the mouth and this thing had some teeth on it great for an April 23 box 90/100 would’ve scored higher if not for the wonky burn but they got a point back for naturaly correcting Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. She it, in my cigar infancy there were rumors that vendors would switch bands on fugazies and mix a few in with authentic cigars. It’s about the vendor in the end and even they can be fooled. the big prices make it more worthwhile to counterfeit cigars. BTW, shouldn’t the warranty seal have another sticker , I forget what it’s called, under it thus providing a little bump in the outer sticker?
  10. I suspect the shipping company will have approx $100M (USD) in Liability insurance. (give or take). This overall loss will be $1B+ I'm sure. Curious how financially stable this company is (or is bankruptcy inevitable?)
  11. I use Insta and Fb to promote my work. These two platforms are a great way to get pictures of my art work out to people who follow me and are my social media friends. I often post a picture and sell a piece within hours. Social media is a great resource for creative people. I do not particularly like my personal life to windup on these platforms but I cannot control posted pictures that include me. I also moderate a Fb page for my ski club. Fb is a useful resource to publish information for a select group of people with a common interest. I do not read any news on social media and I look forward to the day. soon, that I am no longer obligated to moderate a Fb page. It’s a time suck and I’d prefer to waste that time here.
  12. I hope it's an accident. It's guilty until proven innocent in my industry. Jury is still out until a complete forensic investigation is done. Those potentially on the hook to pay will have their own investigations too.
  13. I saw some Reddit math nerds working the problem today. The estimated mass was 95,000 tons travelling at 15 km/hr. They calculated the energy at essentially a 1,000lb bomb being dropped on the bridge.
  1. Load more activity

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.