The Cuban Twang?

I just wanted to know what the Cuban Twang is and what is your interpretation of the Cuban Twang. I was out smoking a Partagas PCE with one of my cousins and we were talking about what exactly is a Cuban Twang. I can tell from the 20+ cubans (Bolivar, Punch, Partagas, H Upman, Poor Larrys, Monte Cristo's, etc) i've smoked and can tell from the retrohale a distinct smoothness and taste (thumbs up) that I can't explain as opposed to a non-Cuban (Blah). I can definitely tell a different taste and feel. Can anyone help with a little knowledge from their own experience and explain the mystical "Cuban Twang"? Thanks in advance.

I've often wondered what people think!

for me, it's a sweaty and citrusy quality in the tobacco which is distinct, a 'twang', and yes, I agree, a certain smoothness, and also complexity and richness of flavour.

The cuban twang to me is a complexity of flavor that is often times sweet and sharp delivered in an underlying soft and smooth consistency that I find common in cuban tobacco.

Great questions that I believe will get varying results from members here. Would be interesting to know what, if there is, a consensus as to what the cuban twang is.

*I would say the Cuban "twang" is that taste and aroma as you exhale, yet breathing in the back aroma as it goes out. The best description I can attempt is a kind of "toasted bread, right straight from the hearth with mother's love!" type of aroma. It is smooth, deep, delicate and has the familiar maple & raisins aroma just as they exhume from the humidor while lying in wait for your smoking pleasure. 'Hope this helps! :rolleyes::pig:

(Everyone's got a different opinion) :rolleyes:

To me Cuban twang is the thing that (almost) all flavours and aromas in the tobacco - how ever different they are - are enjoyable. If a Cuban cigar is properly rolled and aged it's hard to find anything one does not like. There are chocolate, cream, toastiness, bread, coffee, spice, leather, tea, nuts and so on. In NC cigars you can find sourness, bitterness, gunpowder (I kid you not), old shoes etc. that are absent in Cuban cigars. To cut it short: Cuban cigars hit my palate just right.

Looks like everyone does have a different view as to what twang is. I always thought it was that long lingering flavor that hangs around in your mouth after you have ate or exhaled smoke.

Example: A dill pickle, After you have taken a bite and swallowed it that brine taste hangs around in your mouth. Same thing with a good twangy Cuban cigar.

To me it's a sweet, citrus-like smell. I've got three humis, one in which I keep my NCs and two in which I keep my CCs. There is a distinct difference in the smell between the NC humi and the CC humis when I open them up. The CC smell is much more inviting and flavorful.

I don't really know what it means either. But if pushed for some type of answer, it's something I've experienced when first lighting pretty

much every Havana I've smoked. A sense of sweet and sour, salty spice, buttery smoothness - all combined for at least a draw or two.

It doesn't always last, but it's almost always there immediately after initial ignition, and is unmistakeable.

Cigcars' mention of "toasted bread, right straight from the hearth" is very close to my own sensation, but there's also truth in there being, as many have said, citrus and other combinations of flavors such as Omskakas' list of "chocolate, cream, toastiness, bread, coffee, spice, leather, tea, nuts and so on."

Yes, it's those flavors that come through... AND, it's more than that too. I confess to finding that common "twang" in distinctly different tasting cigars. Regardless, they share an added dimension and depth found in most CC's, and very occasionally the rare NC. It's as if the roundness of the smoke finds taste-buds in places lesser cigars don't know exist.

Still, trying to describe it is like trying to describe love. One cannot fully understand or appreciate either without experiencing them.

I don't really know what it means either. But if pushed for some type of answer, it's something I've experienced when first lighting pretty much every Havana I've smoked. A sense of sweet and sour, salty spice, buttery smoothness - all combined for at least a draw or two.

It doesn't always last, but it's almost always there immediately after initial ignition, and is unmistakeable.

+1 Yup!

It is when my daughter (five and a half years old) takes out the cigar from a humidor, takes a whiff and says " MMMMMMM" -she had been doing that for the last three years, at least

Priceless...

My 4 year old oftentimes likes to sit next to me while I inspect my stock. Likes to smell the cigars as I open the boxes. Also likes to put the boxes back into the fridge. A very unique bonding experience.

Everyone's expressed it pretty well. It's interesting how the tastes that punch out at us are all different in their profiles, exemplary of people's different experiences and preferences.

For me, it's that certain "terroir" quality that Colt has spoken of in a past review of his.

It's this definitive "Cuban soil" taste, I guess. That's why I really enjoy Cuban coffee also, as it has a lot of these same characteristics.

My "twang" thing is.....a blend of the smells of rich, almost volcanic soil; some bitter dark chocolate (but without being too sweet); the barnyard and hay aromas; slightly salty, buttered bread/toast; roasted nuts with a creamy strong-coffee tinge to it; and all backed by a damp, mineral-laden earth sensation. Yes, there's a number of things there, and on their own they might not be anything special - but it's this perfect blending of these elements together that, for me anyway, makes Cuban tobacco what it is. The occasional addition of raisins, fruits, herbs, grass, honey, etc., are not a core part of this main "Cuban twang", but instead accent and compliment it.

My perception of this, anyways.

To BonVivant: That's awesome. I daren't try this just yet, as my little guy is too young, and I think the wife would send me to my grave cursing such an 'excellent father-son relationship'. She used to smoke my Cohiba Robustos but gave them up when she got pregnant, and now gives me the "you're not allowed to get cancer... we don't have enough life insurance on you..." line.

In any case, your son will grow up to have good taste!

After smoking nothing but non cuban cigars for the last 15 years, I had rarely if ever tasted this "twang" described. I have smoked only cubans for the last 10 months and boy, have I been missing something special. I descibe the twang as a deep dark musty spicy earthy citrusy flavor. What ever it is, I LOVE it. I now have a crapload of non cubans I know that I will never get around to smoking. This last week have enjoyed a Party P2, D4, Lusi, Dip 2, Bolivar RC, Boli Belicosso Fino Monty 2 and others. I have read that Cuban soil contains more Lithium than most soils. Could this be the souce of the twang, or is this just a wives tale? I nub just about all the cubans I have had, just love the twang and have come up with the saying.... when you can taste the toothpick, it's time to put it out. They are for sure, something special and I look forward to savoring at least one every day.

Sorry bro, can't describe to you what the Cuban Twang is. Only that I know what it is and love it. Smoke enough Cubans and you'll know what it is for yourself too.

Describing something like this is trying to describe what an Apple taste like or what the colour blue is. It's better to eat an Apple and see what blue is for yourself. Once you do so, you'll have no problem identifying an Apple and blue, even if you'll have a hard time describing it to someone who's never experienced it.

After smoking nothing but non cuban cigars for the last 15 years, I had rarely if ever tasted this "twang" described. I have smoked only cubans for the last 10 months and boy, have I been missing something special. I descibe the twang as a deep dark musty spicy earthy citrusy flavor. What ever it is, I LOVE it. I now have a crapload of non cubans I know that I will never get around to smoking. This last week have enjoyed a Party P2, D4, Lusi, Dip 2, Bolivar RC, Boli Belicosso Fino Monty 2 and others. I have read that Cuban soil contains more Lithium than most soils. Could this be the souce of the twang, or is this just a wives tale? I nub just about all the cubans I have had, just love the twang and have come up with the saying.... when you can taste the toothpick, it's time to put it out. They are for sure, something special and I look forward to savoring at least one every day.

*Ditto! CRAPload of non-Cubans that are just sitting in my Daniel Marshall. Oh, well, SOMEDAY they will be smoked - like when the year 2022 arrives and people will say, "Now WHAT did these poor folks have to make do with again, now, back in the day!?"