Retronasal Olfactory Exhale (Retrohale - It's Science, you either feel like an idiot saying it or you don't.

Retrohale - you either feel like an idot saying it or you don't really care that much because you don't know what in the hell else to call it. I use the term, because saying,

" I prefer exhaling smoke out my nose so the olfactory glands can intensify the flavor and taste experience from the essential oils found in the smoke as the smoke cools down." - Make you sound like more of a D-bag!

Anyway, here is a great article ,(there are others out there), that explains a little bit of the science behind the term.

Use the term or don't use the term, but once you get caught up in caring what other people think about you and the terminology you use, you've lost the true joy in cigars to begin with and the terrorist and Justin Bieber win!

http://www.stogiefre...retrospect.html

• Like 2

Smoking a fine cigar without retrohaling the smoke is like eating a gastronomic meal while pinching your nose: a waste of time, or a pose, maybe both…

I agree with fattires....some people just physically can't do it. Doesn't mean they're worthy of potentially being called a poser. Some huge generalizations there.

While retrohaling doesn't "bother" me per say, it also doesn't overly make anything any different for me. With every cigar I smoke, I do indeed try to make a conscious effort to retrohale at least four times during a cigar - during the initial draw/opening, and during the mid of each of the thirds. I try to see what's there that I'm not already smelling and tasting.

While I agree that the nasal cavity and olfactory sense does add a lot to smoking a cigar, as in eating, a retrohale doesn't necessarily pick up much more in the smoke than pepper and spice and woodier / darker tones. Just being sure to smell the smoke while smoking and tasting the cigar is usually more than enough, I'd think.

All that said, I think that if you smoke a cigar with a cold/congested nose, you lose about 50% of the overall experience IMO (if not more, just a plucked number).

While retrohaling doesn't "bother" me per say, it also doesn't overly make anything any different for me. With every cigar I smoke, I do indeed try to make a conscious effort to retrohale at least four times during a cigar - during the initial draw/opening, and during the mid of each of the thirds. I try to see what's there that I'm not already smelling and tasting.

While I agree that the nasal cavity and olfactory sense does add a lot to smoking a cigar, as in eating, a retrohale doesn't necessarily pick up much more in the smoke than pepper and spice and woodier / darker tones. Just being sure to smell the smoke while smoking and tasting the cigar is usually more than enough, I'd think.

All that said, I think that if you smoke a cigar with a cold/congested nose, you lose about 50% of the overall experience IMO (if not more, just a plucked number).

Very fair assessment I think. If it adds to your smoking pleasure do it. If not, don't. I smoked for several years before ever retrohaleing and my palate and senses weren't negatively affected to a measurable extent.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631863,-87.070708

Posts here and in the other thread explain a lot of things.

Other factors that are impossible to gather about how we perceive taste I think can range from a multitude of factors such as ambient temp/humidity, rh of the cigar's storage environment, age obviously, rate of smoking, what you've eaten or haven't eaten, what you're drinking, what you're doing (ie. relaxing or driving), your mood, time of day etc.

When smoking, I blow some smoke out the mouth and some out the nose and I adjust depending on the cigar's strength. I never blow 100% out of the nose but I use the mouth and nose in tandem to pick up all the elements of a good cigar. Personally I can't fathom exhaling out of the mouth as it's like driving with one eye open or like someone above said eating while sick, then again this seems to be personal preference. On a behike 52 I had to limit the smoke out of the nose because it was more powerful than what I normally have. I also only take one or two puffs a minute so the cigar doesn't burn very hot as I store them around 62% for maximum flavor without harshness for my taste.

Interesting topic thanks for starting this braz.

I suffer from allergies and the humidity along with the mold count is awful. I try this as much as I can, but there are only certain times that I can get the full experience from it. But I do enjoy the different tastes and smells that it brings out that were hidden in the cigar.

What do you call this kind of smoking? (blue arrow)

I've used to call it "French smoking", but I'm not sure if it's correct. Anyway, that's my style of "retrohale".

post-7691-0-42821200-1329945984.jpg

For me, I usually retrohale 5 or 6 times while smoking a cigar. I don't think I have ever identified a new flavor by retrohale. Just a more enhanced version of an already identified flavor that was noted during normal smoking.

Smoking a fine cigar without retrohaling the smoke is like eating a gastronomic meal while pinching your nose: a waste of time, or a pose, maybe both…

This is close to what I wanted to say. I'm going to claim we all use our nose when smoking a cigar whether you know it or not. Breath a bit in, or out at the very least. Don't believe me? Pinch your nose and you'll taste nothing. Then, the more you incorporate your olfactory the more flavors you'll be able to enjoy.

Same with food or wine =)

This is just not my experience at all. I suppose everyone's nose is different, though. But I will often pick up flavors through the retrohale that I never detected at all without it. Though more often it's the complexities of the cigar that really shine through during the retrohale. Bottom line, though--I get a TON more flavor out of a retrohale in at least 70% of cigars I smoke. I also think it's the only way to tell whether a cigar is truly smooth or not. There are some cigars I wouldn't even smoke if it wasn't for retrohaling, because I just don't get enough flavor from them otherwise.

For those who have trouble with retrohaling, I highly recommend it!! The biggest mistake people make at first is that they burn themselves ... do NOT blow a whole mouthful of smoke out of you nose, since that will get really hot. Blow most of it out of your mouth, then the rest out through your nose slowly. It will take a few weeks to get used to it ... and then you can see for yourself. Does it improve the experience for you? If yes, then your life just got better! If no, then you haven't really lost anything.

I've been trying the retrohale now for the last few days and I just can't seem to get it. It's definitely different than inhaling the smoke and exhaling out your nose like you'd do with a cigarette. I haven't burned myself yet... but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I can keep the smoke in my mouth and let the pressure of my lungs out through my nose, but I can't seem to open the back of my mouth so the smoke ends up going nowhere. Well, until I exhale it through my mouth.

Is this simply a matter of you can either do it or you can't? (Sorta like how some people can roll their tongues and others simply can't - genetics or whatever.) Or is there some trick to it?

I'm not going to give up, of course. Just want to figure this out so I can see (smell? taste?) what all this fuss is about.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

....It will take a few weeks to get used to it ... and then you can see for yourself. Does it improve the experience for you? If yes, then your life just got better! If no, then you haven't really lost anything.

I think this is the essence of it, and well hit by jedipastor. Well said!

I think it's to each his own. As much as I dislike lighting a cigar with a Bic or Zippo lighter (as I can overtly taste/smell the fuel/chemicals with these), I wouldn't disparage someone who did so. If someone uses a torch, Bic, Zippo, cedar strip, cigar match, whatever, it's their individual call. If asked, would I tell them what I've found as pros and cons of any method, and/or a suggested method? Sure. But I sure as heck wouldn't look down my nose at them for doing so, or stating they're wasting their time or are posers.

Sorry if I'm hitting on those comments, but for whatever reason they've burned my chaps. I think they're hugely biased and discouraging for others. To retrohale or not shouldn't be a measure of worth of someone as a cigar aficionado, IMO.

I think this is the essence of it, and well hit by jedipastor. Well said!

I think it's to each his own. As much as I dislike lighting a cigar with a Bic or Zippo lighter (as I can overtly taste/smell the fuel/chemicals with these), I wouldn't disparage someone who did so. If someone uses a torch, Bic, Zippo, cedar strip, cigar match, whatever, it's their individual call. If asked, would I tell them what I've found as pros and cons of any method, and/or a suggested method? Sure. But I sure as heck would'nt look down my nose at them for doing so, or stating they're wasting their time or are posers.

Sorry if I'm hitting on those comments, but for whatever reason they've burned my chaps. I think they're hugely biased and discouraging for others. To retrohale or not shouldn't be a measure of worth of someone as a cigar aficionado, IMO.

X2.

I retrohale, but can still taste plenty when I don't. If you're enjoying your cigar... you're enjoying your cigar. That's about it.

What do you call this kind of smoking? (blue arrow)

I've used to call it "French smoking", but I'm not sure if it's correct. Anyway, that's my style of "retrohale".

post-7691-0-42821200-1329945984.jpg

I believe you are correct. I've also heard that described as "French Inhale."

This is just not my experience at all. I suppose everyone's nose is different, though. But I will often pick up flavors through the retrohale that I never detected at all without it. Though more often it's the complexities of the cigar that really shine through during the retrohale. Bottom line, though--I get a TON more flavor out of a retrohale in at least 70% of cigars I smoke. I also think it's the only way to tell whether a cigar is truly smooth or not. There are some cigars I wouldn't even smoke if it wasn't for retrohaling, because I just don't get enough flavor from them otherwise.

For those who have trouble with retrohaling, I highly recommend it!! The biggest mistake people make at first is that they burn themselves ... do NOT blow a whole mouthful of smoke out of you nose, since that will get really hot. Blow most of it out of your mouth, then the rest out through your nose slowly. It will take a few weeks to get used to it ... and then you can see for yourself. Does it improve the experience for you? If yes, then your life just got better! If no, then you haven't really lost anything.

My experience echoes yours. There are usually many aromas that become apparent only after retrohaling that I can't pick up without. This is particularly true for floral and fruity notes. I've also found that some very powerful cigars are still smooth when retrohaled, while some relatively milder smokes will make my eyes water.

I've been trying the retrohale now for the last few days and I just can't seem to get it. It's definitely different than inhaling the smoke and exhaling out your nose like you'd do with a cigarette. I haven't burned myself yet... but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I can keep the smoke in my mouth and let the pressure of my lungs out through my nose, but I can't seem to open the back of my mouth so the smoke ends up going nowhere. Well, until I exhale it through my mouth.

Is this simply a matter of you can either do it or you can't? (Sorta like how some people can roll their tongues and others simply can't - genetics or whatever.) Or is there some trick to it?

I'm not going to give up, of course. Just want to figure this out so I can see (smell? taste?) what all this fuss is about.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I believe most anybody should be able to retrohale, it's just a matter of learning how to release the natural valve that closes off your mouth from your sinuses. This is kind of a gross example, but this is the same passageway that allows one to snort hard when suffering from a stuffy nose and have the mucous drip back so it can be spit out. Perhaps a good way to practice would be without a cigar. Just take a mouthful of air and work on controlling the area towards the back of the upper palate so the pressure is released through the nose. While expelling air through your nose, it may help to press your tongue up to the roof of your mouth from front to back as if trying to compress the area where the smoke would be. Once you get that down you can try it with a cigar.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I tried after reading this and can't seem to get it either