have I mentioned how much I hate Windows 8

Seriously I am lost. IE 10 not compatible with forum. Want to open a new window in Chrome through Windows 8 then better enroll in a masters degree.

Did anyone at Microsoft think this out? Seriously, it is the sort of half arsed clusterscrew that I would produce.

Don't give me the Apple dribble. Great products sure, locked in absolutely. I hate being locked in.

Oh for a world of digital simplicity. Without doubt this is the worst operating system I have used. It makes Vista look good.

Yes...I am sure there are fixes and shortcuts. However for a non tech bot there shouldn't have to be.

End of rant....again wink.png

3rd World Problems........

Predictions

- Apple will buy Netflix and become the next Time Warner AOL (sell shares)

- Google will continue incremental rather than revolutionary Innovation but will continue going social good (ala Google Earth) [hold shares]

- Microsoft will diversify and be a steady cash cow (XBOX, Windows, MS Office, Exchange, SQL Server) [buy shares]

Opinion

- Firefox rocks (only Vendor agnostic browser left standing)

- Virtual Desktops will keep your sanity (I still have a Win95 environment on my MacBook Air for when I need comfort computing)

Google vs Microsoft. Who will be victorious

In the PC world Microsoft is going to remain King. I say this because the business world is too heavily invested and I think the PC is not going to be as prevalent in your average Joe Blow's home as much though as many people are switching over to tablets and using their phones. Microsoft has lost their chance to make a big splash in that market and I don't see them having any chance at gaining a strong foothold in it. The battle there really seems to be between Google and Apple.

LOL.

I'm running Vista Pro Home, 64 bit, on an HP laptop from 2005, and a loaded-up HP MediaCenter desktop from 2009 or so. No issues with either, ever, in running Vista. You just gotta know how to set it up from scratch, and get rid of the add-on manufacturer junk and "special programming" stuff (ie - McAfee antivirus, this-and-that trial editions, promo software, etc., etc.)

LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to start a new topic to discuss this but I will post it here: Yesterday I bought a new laptop which came which Windows 8, and not only did I have to rebuy Microsoft office for $130, money which should rightly have gone to box of party shorts, I absolutely hate the new windows format. I hate having to register everything on the cloud, it seems so much like everything I do and look at could be so easily looked at. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am a very private person and I don't like the thought of the possibility. I could get past that though if I liked the format, if it were in any way to my liking, alas it is not. O why did I have to spill water on my old laptop? Does anybody here like Windows 8? and if so could they give me tips as to get more out of it.

Thanks,

Mark

Also got a new laptop with Win8 and it only took me about 2 minutes to absolutely hate it. After three minutes, I decided to install Classic Shell (classicshell.net) to bring back the XP/7 interface.

Now the damn thing insists on an automatic update + reboot 15 minutes in *every flipping time* I power it up to use it. And there's no way that I can find to stop the reboots. And the update/reboot takes a good 25-30 minutes to complete. So I have a laptop that I can use for fifteen minutes...and then, poof, it's unavailable.

I'm going to have to wipe the thing and install Win7, I think.

I haven't had any problems since I went apple. Mac Book Pro and Iphone 5. I know, the mac book is expensive

but the ease of use, lack of problems, and the smooth synchronization with the phone hooked me. I don't miss windows at all and while I'm not a lover of technology I'm a fan of the Apple brand

Also got a new laptop with Win8 and it only took me about 2 minutes to absolutely hate it. After three minutes, I decided to install Classic Shell (classicshell.net) to bring back the XP/7 interface.

Now the damn thing insists on an automatic update + reboot 15 minutes in *every flipping time* I power it up to use it. And there's no way that I can find to stop the reboots. And the update/reboot takes a good 25-30 minutes to complete. So I have a laptop that I can use for fifteen minutes...and then, poof, it's unavailable.

I'm going to have to wipe the thing and install Win7, I think.

Here's a link that should help.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3424920/how-stop-windows-8-installing-updates-automatically/

I was going to start a new topic to discuss this but I will post it here: Yesterday I bought a new laptop which came which Windows 8, and not only did I have to rebuy Microsoft office for $130, money which should rightly have gone to box of party shorts, I absolutely hate the new windows format. I hate having to register everything on the cloud, it seems so much like everything I do and look at could be so easily looked at. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am a very private person and I don't like the thought of the possibility. I could get past that though if I liked the format, if it were in any way to my liking, alas it is not. O why did I have to spill water on my old laptop? Does anybody here like Windows 8? and if so could they give me tips as to get more out of it.

Thanks,

Mark

Reformation your hard disc, buy a copy of Win 7 and start afresh.

Here's the problem with win8: it was rushed into deployment. It has no support from Java, WiFi has issues with drivers, amd you forget about even finding drivers for legacy hardware. I'd stick with windows 7.

Reload it on the machine Rob, just make sure you backup your data first. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Microsoft is diversifying because they know the PC is dead. PC sales are not growing at the rates they were in the past. Businesses are also investing more and more in thin clients. I have yet to talk to an enterprise looking to standardise in win8. Windows 7 rollout only recently started happening because XP is out of support.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2