Dante 54 or 109

Just looking to see what the general consensus is on which is the better cigar not taking the price difference into consideration. Also is there really a difference between the two releases of the 109? If you could explain why that would be great as well! Thanks guys!

I heard that the first release was really good. I had a half dozen or so of the second release that were from 2 different boxes (I don't remember the numbers) and thought they were a huge disappointment. Construction was excellent with a wonderful draw but I think air had more flavor than those cigars. They weren't cheap by any stretch which just added insult to injury.

I recently smoked both the 54 and 109. Smoked the 54 first and it was one of the best cigars I've had this year after the Monte 520. Actually, both were very similar, both being montecristo and all. I had the 109 a week after the 54, and honestly enjoyed the 54 more. The 109 was still a good cigar with similar taste as the 54, but different since the flavors were more subtle unlike the 54 which was a "flavor bomb" (literally). Each draw left me wondering how the heck could a bunch of burning leaves produce flavors of dried fruits, apricots, and raisins on my palate. The 109 was smoother, mellower, and needed a lot of patience to smoke (2.5 - 3 hours). I admit I had really high expectations for the 109, being that it was OR and pricey. My expectations weren't completely filled, and I was left slightly disappointed along with other high end sticks I've tried (BHK, 1966, etc).

If it were up to me, I would spend the $ on 54's, being that they're easier to obtain and costs less as well. But if you can grab some 109's I would do so as long as the price isn't too crazy, since they're becoming rarer and rarer.

Delicious 54

IMG_4304_zps9ec15f73.jpg

Gigantic 109

IMG_4335_zpsfb02070c.jpg

I can only comment on the 54s. If you are a fan of the Montecristo Edmundos then these will be right up your ally. I have reviewed one on my blog perfectsmoke.org.

The 109s are now almost impossible to find and if you do find them they are hugely overpriced. BTW according to various LCDH in Mexico the 54s are now nearly all gone.

Have Smoked both of them and loved them, although I have had better examples of the 54... Down here in Mexico its impossible to find the 109 (both years) and you can still find 54's in LCDH. I don't find them similar to Montecristo. Max Gutmann (LCDH brand creator) Told me that they are not a Montecristo variation rather a new blend in it's own. (also there is no trademark dispute down here with Montecristo as some sites claim)

Hope this helps :D

Have Smoked both of them and loved them, although I have had better examples of the 54... Down here in Mexico its impossible to find the 109 (both years) and you can still find 54's in LCDH. I don't find them similar to Montecristo. Max Gutmann (LCDH brand creator) Told me that they are not a Montecristo variation rather a new blend in it's own. (also there is no trademark dispute down here with Montecristo as some sites claim)

Hope this helps :D

Since always I've heard that brand story. Did he tell you why the hell they don't use Montecristo in Mexico? It doesn't make sense. It's the only country/brand that this happens.

Since always I've heard that brand story. Did he tell you why the hell they don't use Montecristo in Mexico? It doesn't make sense. It's the only country/brand that this happens.

But that is exactly my point, there is Montecristo in México, all of them from the A's to the Edmundos. The story is incorrect, Edmundo Dantes is not Montecristo. Its a separate Brand. That's What Max always says. The story of the trade dispute is wrong. He created the Marca for his Edicion Regional. The Conde 109 is supposed to be based in his favorite Vitola the Partagas Lusitanias. Specifically the old lusitanias that used to be a 109.

Shlomo is right when he said that there couldn't be a ER of the mayor marcas (that was one of the unwritten laws of the ER program) but again the Edmundo D. is not supposed to emulate Montecristo, just to be its own brand with its own profile (whatever that means)

Based upon the Dante story I was sure that it was forbidden to sell Montecristo in Mexico but if they are available your explanation is perfect.

But now another question haunts me: how mr Gutmann could create a new brand? Is he THE guy?

Based upon the Dante story I was sure that it was forbidden to sell Montecristo in Mexico but if they are available your explanation is perfect.

But now another question haunts me: how mr Gutmann could create a new brand? Is he THE guy?

A monte 4 was my first cigar and that was way back in the 90's :D so yeah they are available everywhere :D

Mr Gutmann is THE guy! lol He created LCDH down here in Mexico, and then Tabacuba ask him if they could use the name for all the LCDH around the world, being a nice guy as he is he agreed with no charge to them (also he couldn't do anything else as tabacuba was his sole provider lol). He is the owner of IEPT the only authorized importer of habanos in Mexico, and also one of the greatest Habanos collector in the world.

Habanos has a lot to be grateful to him.

If you want more info, CA made an interview with him a while back

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/9083

hope this helps

So does anyone feel that the 54 could reach the "refinedness" that the 109 has, and is that refinedness that it posses just due to the fact it it three or four years older?