Romeo Y Julieta Double Corona (Exhibition No. 2 LE 2000)

Whoever was with me when i smoked this should know how this review will turn out. Let's do it anyway because of how amazing it'd be to experience it again!! biggrin.png

Alright! Let's get started.

The construction of this cigar was really something!

And by something, i mean annoying. It had a flakey wrapper that reminds me of a type of baked goods after 2 days. It was surprisingly oily for how desiccated the cigar felt.

I would describe this by the infamous instagram cigar slang: "Slightly Spongy". One should know that only Cuban Cigars are 'Slightly Spongy" and this cigar was no exception.

Apparently the best way to tell if a Cuban is real is if it's slightly spongy

It suffered a decent amount of shrinkage in the past 14 years of existence and it has both desiccated and lightly secreted oils. It suffers the same fate as the RyJ 2001 Robustos with the fireproof wrapper. The next LE that had that was the 2007 LE Regal Turds.

What's that? Oh whoops! They're the regalos... Hard for me not to call them flying turds.

Punch with my punch cutter and turns out it was plugged. What the bloody hell. It felt as dessicated as an old maschine rolled but it was plugged!?! Had a mate of mine suck on the foot and he said it was only tight. I could get some smoke out of it. But i decided not to. So. I''m off to freeze this cigar, wet box it for 5 days, then dry box for 5 days.

une5yryr.jpg

13 days later and it feels the same. But without a strong plug. Still has the shrinkage and oily wrapper.

Touch of the torch with no resistance from a burn. Very decent aromas but tasted too much of the RyJ LE2007 Regal Turds. Nutty, oily, tasted like smoking a lamb chop garnished with cloves and seared by an acetylene torch.

I expected twice of age to churn out something better but this cigar is really feeling like it was mass produced with a terrible effort in quality control. 1cm of the burn in and Frank tells me to just forget my beloved punch. I haven't needed to guillotine cut a round cigar in around a year. But this one broke my streak. Chopped off a centimeter with a little spring action straight cutter and we're back in business!!

Started to churn out decent smoke but the flavour is tasting like a candle made from pig fat.

Oh boy! 2 cm in and it's now plugging up!! Damn it- i should've froze it and dry boxed the bloody git... Wait............ i feel for the plug and i realised that it's around 2 inches above. So i reach for the spring guillotine and cut off another 2 inches. Dusting off the cap i bring it to my mouth again.

Smoking the same. Tastes the same. Perhaps i should've just sucked on the plugged side. I would get less smoke that way and hence less flavour. That would've been preferable.

Oh! I just got my wish. The infamous fire retarded comes in and now it's not smoking much.

So let me get this straight: Not only was this cigar plugged... But it's fire proof as well!?! With a cigar this vintage looking/smelling with such an oily wrapper, I wasn't expecting this!

Ah! Another BotL arrives. I offer him the cigar now as i really didn't want to deal with it anymore. After much convincing, he grabs it, cuts off an inch and proceeds to smoke it. He comments on the oiliness of the wrapper and how the wrapper is falling off.

No comment on the taste, though... He did think it tasted like one of those new Hoyos. Well, that says a lot about the cigar....

Total Smoking Time:

I got a Double Corona down to 3 inches in only 20 minutes!! How many of you can say that!? laugh.png

Final thoughts:

5. Guantanameras normally rate 20 for me as i can smoke them for 3-5 cm before they start turning sour. The only thing stopping it from being a 0 was the fact that i could play with it a bit before tossing it out. Honestly, i had fun with this cigar. Seriously!

Flicking the spring of that guillotine really reassured me. Man, that was a nice cutter...

I later had a QdO Asia Pacifico that was underfilled. Great day of cigars for me! pod.gif

uzy8uneq.jpg

• Like 1

Don't like squishy or dry cigars then? Picky, picky.....

I was there on the day that this sorry excuse for an LE was ignited and can attest to all of the above. Quite an adventure in trying to rescue it but alas it was doomed from the start.

Quite an adventure in trying to rescue it but alas it was doomed from the start.

Like I said. Great company! :)

Hope you get another chance with one.

Judging by the similar wrappers and everything,Not much hope for them. Akin to the LE 01 Robustos.

There's a reason why so many of them are still left in Switzerland.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

pod.gif

Remind me to keep a collection of my underfilled and plugged cigars and send them to you as a trade next time...

One underfilled and one plugged makes 2 perfect cigars! nyah.gif

That mean you have to unwrap, combine and reroll?