Mini-Review Partagas Maduro No 1

Partagas Maduro No 1

Date Smoked: August 9, 2015

Vitals:

• Dimensions: 52 * 5.1"
  • Vitola: Robusto

post-6763-0-05169000-1439309680_thumb.jp

Pre-light observations.

A bit of barnyard on the foot. Hints of pine. dare i say cherry? Something sweet and fruity. Construction is a bit squishy and somewhat under filled it seems. I punch the head,

easy draw..maybe too easy.

Reviewers Notes:
My style of cigar reviewing is “open”. I try to jot down what I’m experiencing with every draw. When you see a “//” consider that a break in between puffs. What I leave out in fancy prose is made up with observation. Consider each segment a play by play. This style works for me. I hope you enjoy it. This min-review is a bit light in comparison to previous reviews. I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

First Third

cedary/fruity draw // smooth // easy draw..not a wind tunnel thankfully // kinda toffee flavour // lots of smoke // fairly monotone // some licorice on some finishes and fruitiness on others // fairly light but interesting // the cigar smells like coffee when I'm not puffing // bit of marshmallow now and then too // barely a ½ inch in and it gives out.? thinking.gif do a purge and relight // the cigar is loaded with ammonia..though I can't taste it on several purges..lots of flame! makes you wonder whats going on? aging a leaf to maduro stages should result in a very fermented and "clean" leaf no? // slight , bitter chocolate finish on a few draws // I feel like I'm smoking a PSD4 so far. Odd.

post-6763-0-50302200-1439309713_thumb.jp

Second Third

A prevailing sweetness on a few finishes. // a bit of pine // bit of a concave burn // less ammonia now.// hints of black pepper on the tongue on most draws // light coffee ground flavours // lots of smoke ...impressive // some breadiness now // some pepper // cigar now smells a bit like BBQ, but no taste of it on the draws, // growing a bit bitter, acrid on some draws // cigar goes out again // toasty tobacco // hints of pine again // not much going on really, not horrible either but not something that makes me take notice // some hints of sweetness // the cigar does have a slow buildup of tobacco strength/nicotine, or its the ammonia that was present during the 1st half coming out? // pine again,

post-6763-0-56909100-1439309728_thumb.jp

Third Third

toasty tobacco // pine // a bit of hickory // still lots of smoke & some mushroom // BBQ flavours emerge // very savoury flavours now // black pepper in the back of the throat as well // a swig of water // hickory again // nice sweet smell from the cigar // touch up needed // more toasty tobacco // good rich tobacco taste // hints of coffee as well // very strong draw! like coffee grounds and pepper // back to more pine // a slight beany flavour appears // some dark chocolate on a few draws

post-6763-0-39574800-1439309745_thumb.jp

FIN

FINAL THOUGHTS

Grabbed this from the local LCDH. A wallet gouging $41 CAD. tantrum.gif Such is the price of early adoption I guess? laugh.png It is an attractive cigar for sure. From a flavour perspective, I'd say this is a somewhat predictable mix of a PSD4 and Genios. More Partagas than Cohiba though. The final third did give way to that trademark Cohiba Maduro 5 "chocolatiness". The amount of ammonia on the purges was a bit unsettling. I suspect these are still fresh. No indication as to whether or not they're made to the same standard as the Maduro 5 series. Given the lack of nomenclature, perhaps not? Overall it was an enjoyable cigar. I'd smoke one again. Maybe not so soon. It looks like they might need to settle down a bit. I'd like to hear what others think once they get their hands on these.

For being a decent cigar and somewhat besting my expectations I'll give this a decent score of 90.

Thanks for reading. waving.gif

• Like 3