Montecristo Bands

Hello Everyone,

I'm a constant reader and first time poster, from Buffalo, NY. Sorry if this question has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything on it after much searching.

I was having a Monte 2 supplied by my father in law while on Block Island over the long weekend. His Monte 2s have the gold scribing on the band and I was a bit surprised to see those when my two boxes of 2s and two boxes of 4s (ABR 14, JUL 14, and SEP 14) all have the white and brown bands.

All of my boxes are purchased from FOH. His were purchased from a Swiss website; not sure which.

I am curious if anyone can explain why the bands on my boxes, and on countless other Monte boxes shown on 24:24 and "Recent Purchases" are white/brown, while his are gold/brown.

CCW claims that the brown/white have been discontinued: post-24845-0-30371100-1441818284_thumb.p

Thanks!

Max

I have a late 14 box with the non gold band too.

Since these are made in most factories if one has the old bands and another has the new ones they'd use whatever is available.

Cuba being Cuba...

I have a '13 box with the brown and white bands, but I have seen Double Edmundos, Petit No. 2s and some regular No. 2s with the gold embelished bands. If you can get more information and pictures, there is a sub forum here that deals specifically with fake vs real posts.

Th​ere is always a year or so grey area after a band is changed while the old ones filter out of the system. The 2012 date I have on CCW is based on Habanos' announcement of the new band and official discontinuation of the old one. In reality I think it was only on Petite No. 2 until a year or so ago. I have seen recent production Montes with both the new band and old bands across the range. Definitely not an authenticity black flag for another six months at least.

There is always a large overlap when it comes to a new style band replacing an older one. This is Cuba after all folks! Habanos does not run like a finely tuned Swiss timepiece in any way shape or form. Just look at Rob's thread regarding packaging imperfections! You may see both styles of bands on Montes for the next year, who knows?