LA GUARIDA

As you may have already seen on James Suckling's blog on CA or Nino's site Flying cigar, one of the

best restaurants in Havana," La Guarida" has just closed it's doors.

La Guarida was what is more commonly known as

a Paladar, smaller then a larger Restaurant in Cuba. It generally seats about 20 people.

Enrique Nunez, the owner, picked up a solid reputation for his restaurant as a gastronomic experience after 2 major events at this address,

1st, the house was used as a location for the filming

in 1995 of the Oscar- Nominated cuban film,

" Fresa y Chocolate" and 2nd, the historic visit of

the King & Queen of Spain to Cuba .

One night,Queen Sophia addressing herself to Fidel

Castro, insisted on dinning at Enrique Nunez's Paladar, La Guarida. Fidel, reluctantly, had to give in to the Queen's demands even though he was never keen on letting Paladars develope in Cuba because, for him, they were too capitalistic for his taste.

All the lovers of fine cuban cuisine will greatly be affected by the closing down of La Guarida.

Everyone who has dinned here, from royalty to well known celebrities or just everyday people, will regret this fine address, the fine foods & wines, the atmostphere, the fantastic experience of smoking a custom rolled cigar after dinner from Enrique's Humidor,( where & who made them was top secret), but above all, the pleasure of chatting with a great person such as Enrique Nunez.

Here are a few pics. taken from our club trip in 2004.

post-3705-1265035415.jpg

post-3705-1265035475.jpg

post-3705-1265035544.jpg

post-3705-1265035614.jpg

post-3705-1265035672.jpg

post-3705-1265035736.jpg

Sadness news Guy! La Guardia the most historical restaurant in Havana, and Floridita bar, and many others... So pity that they are disappearing in fact (((

And agree with PADDYWHACK - you should post your own gallery "Calvisson's Cigar Club Trips" on FOH!

to Jim: Thank God! I just have eaten :P

What a pity, I've been there twice. One the best places to eat in La Habana.

I loved that all the plates (the actual china) were different, first I thought it was on purpose, then they explained me everybody brought the best plates (and the ones they could find) from their homes, and their families.

Sorry to hear about the closing of what is considered a Havana landmark. While I've never had the opportunity to visit Cuba...it is sad nonetheless. I don't want to be ignorant here, but can anyone enlighten me as to the reason for this restaurant's closing. I assume it was due to financial reasons, but given its popularity, it is a bit difficult to comprehend. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the closing of what is considered a Havana landmark. While I've never had the opportunity to visit Cuba...it is sad nonetheless. I don't want to be ignorant here, but can anyone enlighten me as to the reason for this restaurant's closing. I assume it was due to financial reasons, but given its popularity, it is a bit difficult to comprehend. Thanks.

tourist dive in 2009

Increasing Government harrassment

Continuous fight for quality produce

Ridiculous Government taxes (30%)

Bone tired of the battle

Many of the great paladars have now closed with only a handful remaining.

interesting rob says a dive. i have not been there for a few years but loved it every time. best place i have eaten in cuba when it was on. great shame it is going.

i well remember some of the empty wine bottles on the shelves - yquem and its ilk (probably the bottles our mate macho left in a fishing guide's esky).

interesting rob says a dive. i have not been there for a few years but loved it every time. best place i have eaten in cuba when it was on. great shame it is going.

i well remember some of the empty wine bottles on the shelves - yquem and its ilk (probably the bottles our mate macho left in a fishing guide's esky).

KG...I think by "dive" Rob meant a steep decline in the number of tourists visiting Cuba...

KG...I think by "dive" Rob meant a steep decline in the number of tourists visiting Cuba...

well you can imagine why i would be in error. not wanting to be pedantic but i think that the literal translation would be the way i took it.

last week el bulli, this week la guardia. shame.