Turner River to Chokoloskee Bay: Clearing Bear Lake

Miami101

Well folks here we go!

Turner River is located in Big Cypress National Preserve. Big Cypress Swamp lies to the west of the Everglades and grades slowly into the coastal marshes of southwest Florida. Big Cypress National Preserve is located more in land, and fresh water connected to swampland. Some of the inhabitants include snakes, alligators, bobcats, Bears, deer, and rare Florida panthers. Turner River starts in the Swamps, flows into Mangroves, and later into the Ocean.

I did two trips into this area to explorer, and fish:

Here is the map path: The Red line is the path we took.

post-1464-1266892383.jpg

Here are some shots. Some of the phtos are taken by Jared one of my fishing friends, my brother, or myself.

1 trip Turner to Chokoloskee:

Smokes: Monte 2, Casa Magna

784747857_img_6834.jpg

784953440_6842v2.jpg

783455513_jme_6767.jpg

783435393_jme_6736.jpg

784954935_6873v2.jpg

No fish had to return with my brother here is what we found: Trip two War time

Smokes: Monte 2, Juan Lopez 1, 2

784958103_6838v2.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_6934.jpg

Heading back to Flamingo to do some fishing, and work on the Bear Lake Project. I'm part of the team that has been working on this project to clear the Home Stead Cannel. Also I'm a part of the Swamp Apes who clear the trails for the park.

Here some information on this area of the Everglades.

The Bear Lake Trail is home to over 30 different types of trees, both tropical and sub-tropical. In a constant struggle for sunlight, tree roots and branches intertwine to form a closed sub-tropical canopy which covers 95% of the trail. Tropical hardwood hammock vegetation lines the higher ground of the trail's spoil bank. To the north and south you'll find a mixture of tangled mangrove forest, hammocks of rough-barked buttonwood trees and low-lying coastal prairie comprised of highly salt-tolerant succulent plants. These overlapping communities result in one of the most beautiful and varied examples of Everglades ecology. The area has a large amount of snakes, Gators, Croc, and birds.

Here are some photos of me working, fishing, and the glades.

The drive to Bear Lake area.

Smokes: R&J , Casa Mag, anything I can find in my car. 4 trips in the month to do clean up...some fishing

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6962.jpg

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg

After working on the Home Stead Cannel to Bear Lake:

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_6780.jpg

IMG_6783.jpg

Hells Bay: Button Wood not from road on my Gheenoe/Canoe. Not sure if I put these up..

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6776.jpg

IMG_6536.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

Back home to Roman here is a photo:

IMG_7027.jpg

Top work mate, I have always had the urge to trek into the everglades, let alone it being incorporated into my 'work'. I really like the 4th, 5th and 6th pictures along with the turtle that Ken mentioned. Cheers for the insight , always a pleasure to view such scenery and hear of the adventures you partake in.

The Sliver fish is Crocker, brother of the Red Fish. The other one is a Black Drum. All are part of the drum family, and pull very hard.

The Black Drum can get over big:

Here some information:

The black drum is a chunky, high-backed fish with many barbels or whiskers under the lower jaw. Younger fish have four or five dark vertical bars on their sides but these disappear with age. The bellies of older fish are white but coloration of backs and sides can vary greatly. Fish from Gulf waters frequently lack color and are light gray or silvery. Those living in muddy bay waters have dark gray or bronze-colored backs and sides. Some are solid silvery gray or jet black. A length of six inches is reached in the first year, 12 inches the second and 16 inches the third. Increases of about two inches per year occur after that. The largest black drum on record weighed 146 pounds. The Texas record taken by a sport angler is 78 pounds but most bull drum caught weigh 30 to 40 pounds.

I had been after these guys for some time. They do not like lures, and I had a hard time on the fly.

Let see what happens when I fish more for them to see if I can get the bigger size drums.

Nice pictures...your fishing expeditions always look like true adventures...especailly with all those crocs around. Thanks for sharing.

Have you read any of the Everglades Trilogy by Peter Matthiessen? I would love the chance to explore the 10000 Islands. Thanks for always posting such great photos of such a beautiful area.

1000 Islands was right on the other side of my end point in the 1st two trips. The islands are very nice in the summer time some of the best fishing can be done there, and great camping. This summer I will be there, and also Flamingo Cape Sable area is very nice.

Anyone coming down let me know:::::

Check this show out:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/in...l-episode/5565/

Keep it up Miami! I'm heaed down to hed out with ya!

(after I come bck from Baja East Cape for some Roosterfishing...)

Sounds like big money fishing! I got a few years before Roman can go with me to Bahamas to Bone fish, Canada, and New Zealand.

Let me know when you are down here I'm still getting my feet wet with the Everglades. I have one more month before it time to start island hopping.

This year I want to fly fish more then anything, and camp out.

On the book by Peter Matthiessen I will check it out soon.

Have you read any of the Everglades Trilogy by Peter Matthiessen? I would love the chance to explore the 10000 Islands. Thanks for always posting such great photos of such a beautiful area.

I have Killing Mister Watson right in front of me.....LOL.

Yes it is fun to visit some of the locations in the book.

• 1 year later...