Losing my taste for NCs

I had the same thing happen to me - 100% change to Cubans. But not only that - the ring guage of the cigars I prefer got smaller and smaller.

Whereas my favourite cigar used to be a Perdomo Habano (you know the massive jaw breaker?), now my favourite is ERDM Grandes de Espagna..

I had the same thing happen to me - 100% change to Cubans. But not only that - the ring guage of the cigars I prefer got smaller and smaller.

Whereas my favourite cigar used to be a Perdomo Habano (you know the massive jaw breaker?), now my favourite is ERDM Grandes de Espagna..

Same thing here... over the years I have smoked no less than 2000 El Rey Del Mundo (Honduran) Robusto Largas (6x54)... now it's all about the 42 and smaller ring gauge CCs. I like to the the ERDM GdE would be my cigar of choice, unfortunately I can't seem to find any. Another casualty of Habanos SA.

I'm with the I-like-good-tobacco(cigars)-no-matter-where-it's-grown crowd. OK, so maybe it's a small crowd.

Mostly I smoke Cuban cigars but I also smoke from my smaller collection of NC's. I'm not sure what the season has to do with it but in winter when I have to smoke indoors, I smoke Habanos. When the weather gets better and I can sit at a sidewalk cafe, I smoke NCs. Go figure.

Here's how I see this,

If we were to believe everything that is being said on all of the advertisments

made by the NC cigar makers, we would all be smoking NC's by now, even

here in Europe and in the rest of the world. WELL ? ;)

I guess that's because we don't have good taste. :)

OH, BTW, I enjoy a little pepper on my food, I don't enjoy smoking it. :P

You are not alone. There was a point in my short "cigar aficionado" life where I was led to believe that NCs are better than CCs. I was naive and purchased a lot of 90 rated NCs. Just for me to sell them off and send them back to their intended market. Nevertheless, an occasional Tatuaje or Illisuone are not that bad.

Now you see the light ! Welcome to the club :)

Thanks for all the comments guys, again this is such a fantastic forum!

I'm glad I'm not alone. It seems like this is a natural progression for most here.

I appreciate all the responses.

I am moving towards the light :cigar:

But just in case I get an urge I will keep a few Tatuajes. :)

I went through a "progression" but it was a little different.

When I first started smoking cigars (NC's) I think I was like the vast majority of new smokers. I was overwhelmed by the thousands of different cigars available and wanted to try all of them. It took me a while to realize that there were only a few NCs I enjoyed long before I started smoking CCs. By the time I started smoking CCs I had already stopped the quest to smoke every cigar out there. I still have the same NCs in my rotation as did when I started smoking CCs. CC's just allowed me to expand that rotation.

By percentage there are more good CCs than there are good NCs, but that doesn't mean that all NCs are not worth smoking and all CCs are. We've all had CCs that we suffered through or tossed before the first third. I'll agree that the large majority of NCs are trash and the new releases are rarely worth even thinking about, but I didn't need CCs to figure that out.

Erm...I think that is a good way to look at it. Like most of the BOTLs here at FOH...after discoverin CCs I have made them the vast majority of what I smoke and buy. I do keep NCs around and continue to smoke them on a regular basis. I like trying the new stuff that is coming out constantly and even the old cigars I haven't tried yet. My personal belief is that there is room for both NCs and CCs. That said...I buy CCs by the box, and I buy NCs as singles or 3 to 5 packs. End the end all that really matters is that you smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

My issue is why would I smoke NCs when I preffer Cubans? I smoke very few NCs these days. I think even a coyote given a steady diet of fillet mignon and smoked salmon would have a tough time going back to rotten rat.

I was the exact same way; I find most of the NCs to not even be worth my time. I do like the Padrons, La Flor's and some Fuente stuff....but, overall, I've stepped into the light as well. :cigar:

A friend in the states gifted me an Ashton ESG which I smoked a couple weeks ago. The cigar looked great, nice construction, cedary smell at cold. But it tasted 'thin'. No evolution of flavors, no deep thick smoke feel. While not the worst thing in the world, it really highlighted what I love about Cuban cigars and what it was dearly missing.

I must have a palate made of wood, since I don't find CCs deep in flavour or even complex. Few were enjoyable as a change of pace, mostly when smoked earlier in the day. NONE delivered consistently like my favorite NCs. I find it really irritating that I have a good CC about one in 3 cigars, while my NCs deliver 99% of the time. I keep my cigars at 65% RH, so I don't buy that argument.

To each its own. One thing I know for sure - smoke what YOU like, since the taste is very subjective and is affected by too many things and differently for every person. Unless YOU think something is good from personal experience, opinions of others have very little value.

I agree with most of the threads.....I have tried most of the new NC out there and my enjoyment factor has diminished greatly. I never want to smoke a Pennsylvania wrapper again.

My humi in the Bahamas is well stocked with all my favorites!!!! :potty:

I must have a palate made of wood, since I don't find CCs deep in flavour or even complex. Few were enjoyable as a change of pace, mostly when smoked earlier in the day. NONE delivered consistently like my favorite NCs. I find it really irritating that I have a good CC about one in 3 cigars, while my NCs deliver 99% of the time. I keep my cigars at 65% RH, so I don't buy that argument.

To each its own. One thing I know for sure - smoke what YOU like, since the taste is very subjective and is affected by too many things and differently for every person. Unless YOU think something is good from personal experience, opinions of others have very little value.

Fair enough. What NCs do you rate?

Most NC's taste like peppery crap.. I get so sick of the monolithic profile that if it's all I ever tried I'd probably quit Cigars a long time ago and would have extolled their boringness forever...

...Then there was that one CoRo... Changed my whole outlook on cigars. Now if CC's were consistent enough to give me the perfect CoRo experience every time.. I'd probably never leave the house.. ;-)

Came home from work tonight and pulled a Mag 48 from my Humi and had an amazing smoke. Totally enjoyed it and completely relaxed me. Why can't these be longer! Such a classy smoke.

I enjoyed every second, no thought of anything else just focused on the experience. Exactly what I look for in a cigar.

I guess I have my answer. Thanks for the responses everyone

Came home from work tonight and pulled a Mag 48 from my Humi and had an amazing smoke. Totally enjoyed it and completely relaxed me. Why can't these be longer! Such a classy smoke.

Try a Sir Winston next, a good 90 minute cigar and one of the best money can buy IMO.

Fair enough. What NCs do you rate?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'rate', but I only stock up on my favourites: Oliva G Maduro Beli, O Nat and Maduro robusto, lanceros and robustos of Padilla 32, 1948, 68, Padilla Dominus CG (yum!), Man O' War robusto, DPG Black and Blue robusto. I have many others that I can go to for change of pace (few other A.J Fernandez blends, Torano 1916 coronas, Illusione cg:4 and Tatuaje Noellas once in a while). I would try anything once or twice, if the size is not too big. Having an opportunity to buy my humidor staples with deep discounts doesn't hurt either B)

Having said that, I smoked Diplo 4 tonight which was pretty good and, to my shock, was even consistent with 2 other Diplo 4s I've smoked in the last couple of months!

I may be spoiled by NC consistency. If cigar's 'hit' ratio is 1 out of 3, it would never make it into my rotation, regardless of how good that 1 was. I don't have the luxury of wasting my time and money on a crap shot quality.

Just me, though. I'm only starting to explore CCs, so I may be in for a great discovery at some point, but I don't hold my breath.

Hope I actually answered the question you've asked ;)

I'm getting there myself. There are still a few NC's I enjoy, but the list keeps getting shorter instead of longer... and my trash can has lately been my overflow location for NC's as I keep having to make room in my humidor for more CC's.

I've given some NC's away that I know someone else will appreciate, but I also had a lot of them that I just couldn't imagine anyone wanting to smoke. Maybe I should start a compost heap.