Cigar and beer pairing

T297

Hey gang,

Been here a few hours and have already gained loads of information. Anyway, been wondering what you CC smokers would advise me to do. I've got Partagas Salomones and Bolivar Gold Medals, both from '08 that I smoke once in a while. Well I'm celebrating my 31st birthday on Friday and would like your opinions on which cigar to pair a St. Bernardus Abt 12 with? Or should I stick with NC's?

Thanks,

O

Hey gang,

Been here a few hours and have already gained loads of information. Anyway, been wondering what you CC smokers would advise me to do. I've got Partagas Salomones and Bolivar Gold Medals, both from '08 that I smoke once in a while. Well I'm celebrating my 31st birthday on Friday and would like your opinions on which cigar to pair a St. Bernardus Abt 12 with? Or should I stick with NC's?

Thanks,

O

My vote is for a cold mug of Shiner Bock. :rolleyes: We have a 1/2 keg in the office and found it pairs well with most of the CC I bring in for our weekly office smoke out.

Colt 45 - It's a Belgian Trappist Ale with 10% ABV, it's also dark and heavy.

Sandman - Kegs of Shiner Bock huh? You need someone to stir your coffee or get you reading material while your in the john? I'm your man brother just say the word.

Reason I was asking was, 1. I'm not that well versed in cuban cigars and 2. The Partagas Salomones that I have are fairly mild for my palate, which is accustomed to Nicaraguan tobacco and some full bodied Dominican blends. I appreciate both your responses, maybe I'll just drink Mexican beer.

Cheers,

O :rolleyes:

While Mexican beers, or most beers for that matter are fine, I would go with an IPA. Sorry to disagree Colt, but hoppy beers I find go great with cigars. I don't forsee a problem with you going with the St. Bernardus...I've known some to drink a Guiness with the Party Salomon.

While Mexican beers, or most beers for that matter are fine, I would go with an IPA. Sorry to disagree Colt, but hoppy beers I find go great with cigars. I don't forsee a problem with you going with the St. Bernardus...I've known some to drink a Guiness with the Party Salomon.

Thanks for the response! I will enjoy my beer and Partagas on Friday. As far as IPA's go I'm really into Arrogant Bastard, Dales Pale Ale and Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

Cheers,

O

I would go with an IPA. Sorry to disagree Colt, but hoppy beers I find go great with cigars.

No worries - these these things are, of course, subjective. But again, personally I find that the astringency of very hoppy beers can adversely effect

a cigar's flavor. As for Guinness, I love it with cigars. Though it is on the heavier side, I find it's flavor to be fairly rounded and on the sweetish side.

For me, I don't care to smoke with heavier beers who's flavors are more on the bitter side of the spectrum.

My vote is for a cold mug of Shiner Bock. ;) We have a 1/2 keg in the office and found it pairs well with most of the CC I bring in for our weekly office smoke out.

Especially since hes in Texas, I second the Shiner. Its my go to beer.

Samb - Shiner is a good beer especially the Bock and Black. My taste leans toward Trappist style ale's at the moment. Chimay, St. Bernardus, Orval etc. But, I've also digging Ten Fidy. Now that is an awesome beer!!

Samb - Shiner is a good beer especially the Bock and Black. My taste leans toward Trappist style ale's at the moment. Chimay, St. Bernardus, Orval etc. But, I've also digging Ten Fidy. Now that is an awesome beer!!

If you like the belgian ales,I'd recommend a bottle of kreik,or framboise if you can't get kreik,from Lindemans for example.

When served cold,they have a complex flavour of the acidic fruit,with a strong ale taste underneath.

Excellent with any cigar.......

Duvel's and H. Upmann Mag 48's

If you like the belgian ales,I'd recommend a bottle of kreik,or framboise if you can't get kreik,from Lindemans for example.

When served cold,they have a complex flavour of the acidic fruit,with a strong ale taste underneath.

Excellent with any cigar.......

Mazolaman - I have tried both the kriek and framboise by Lindemans. Both are very tasty beers. Wife has two in the frige so probably gonna sneak one tonite with a smoke.

Honestly, I would put the Bolivar back in your humidor. I find that these need some significant aging to balance out properly.

Go with the Partagas. It isn't a slam-dunk match with a St. Bernadus 12, but will make for a fun night. The vitola (shape) is unusual enough to mark your special occasion with style. I have gone through many bottles of this particular beer. You have a large or small bottle? If large and you are drinking the bottle yourself, I recommend keeping it chilled. This high ABV beer gets a little scary as it warms up.

You tried the Rochefort line? I love quadrupel Belgians.

All advice according to my personal preferences.... of course. Enjoy.

Honestly, I would put the Bolivar back in your humidor. I find that these need some significant aging to balance out properly.

Go with the Partagas. It isn't a slam-dunk match with a St. Bernadus 12, but will make for a fun night. The vitola (shape) is unusual enough to mark your special occasion with style. I have gone through many bottles of this particular beer. You have a large or small bottle? If large and you are drinking the bottle yourself, I recommend keeping it chilled. This high ABV beer gets a little scary as it warms up.

You tried the Rochefort line? I love quadrupel Belgians.

All advice according to my personal preferences.... of course. Enjoy.

Thanks all for the responses. Smoked and Illusione HL (lancero) last night with some Framboise Lambics and found it to be really oaky (is this even a word?) Had to stick with plain old Coca Cola.

khoneinist - thanks for heads up on the Bolivar. The St. Bernardus is the big bottle. I too love Belgian quads. Rochefort is very nice beer as well.

Cheers,

O

I would swap the ABT 12 with a Pater 6...the Pater 6 has lighter body and finish with fewer potential conflicts of flavor.

Is Pater 6 made by the same brewery? Maybe when I have a chance to go to the liquor megastore I will look for it.

Erm310mce - Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately I've only tried those two smokes in the CC category. Guess I should try other brands.

Cheers,

O

Yes. That is another St. Bernadus bottling. Lighter but quite aromatic.

You may find, as I did, that most beers and many Cuban cigars do not match particularly well. But sometimes you just want to enjoy both at the same time and to hell with bougie 'matching.' anyway. Don't overthink it. You have a killer beer and a great cigar.