Montecristo Grand Edmundo MOA FEB 10

Thanks for another Great Review!

I really enjoyed this cigar. I didn't actually expect to (which is always a nice surprise).

You have to be a lover of the sweeter profile (not for all) but the chocolate mousse analogy captured it well.

The blend was distinctive. Montecristo "esque" with lashings of personality. You really couldn't ask for much more in an LE which should really push the boundaries of a Marque.

It's best will come in a few years but we found it to be very enjoyable now.

Sounds quite tasty. Looking forward to some of these...

Nice review. I plan on getting a box of these and aging the cigars for 2-3 years minimum (after sampling one or three). This was the only LE of interest to me. I am a huge supporter of both Trinidad and Partagas but dislike the pricing for the former's mini Robo T and am put off by the rather unimaginative offering of the latter marca (Hoyo Epicure Especial anyone??).

That being said.... I look forward to the reviews of those two cigars as well....and I reserve the right to change my mind about either of them at any moment. ;)

Nice review. I plan on getting a box of these and aging the cigars for 2-3 years minimum (after sampling one or three). This was the only LE of interest to me. I am a huge supporter of both Trinidad and Partagas but dislike the pricing for the former's mini Robo T and am put off by the rather unimaginative offering of the latter marca (Hoyo Epicure Especial anyone??).

That being said.... I look forward to the reviews of those two cigars as well....and I reserve the right to change my mind about either of them at any moment. :P

Ditto. I'm hoping for glory on the level of the Monte Sublimes with the Grand Edmundo. I've never bought a box of Trinidads because the price point has always been inflated for them IMO, and the Partagas should really stop with all the Serie D's....What about a Serie P No. 1 LE?

I'll end up getting 1-2 boxes each of the Montes and Partys and age 'em for a few years to get them just right. It's great to hear this one was a cracker now.

And I love the sweet profile!

Spot on!

Great review, I had one the other morning and was really surprised as well but it was really enjoyable. I tucked the rest of the box into the back of my cabinet, looking forward to the next one in about a year.

Ditto. I'm hoping for glory on the level of the Monte Sublimes with the Grand Edmundo. I've never bought a box of Trinidads because the price point has always been inflated for them IMO, and the Partagas should really stop with all the Serie D's....What about a Serie P No. 1 LE?

I'll end up getting 1-2 boxes each of the Montes and Partys and age 'em for a few years to get them just right. It's great to hear this one was a cracker now.

And I love the sweet profile!

Actually, I think a P1 is coming out- a petite piramide in a ceramic jar.

I didn't buy any 09 LEs & am trying hard in 2010 to do the same. The MCs are tempting though. :P

i know i was not supposed to post but you were not supposed to bag me in absentia, especially when you have to go backwards and reinvite smithers.

rob arrived at my place yesterday arvo (best dentist visit ever - leave it for a year or so to see if anything is likely to develop so we spent an hour chatting about wine and fishing).

he was quite excited about these cigars so we lit up. after a bit, he asked for thoughts - all he could mutter about was chocolate mousse. all i was getting was a dirty bitterness. lots of grubby earth.

so, being professionals (or so he claims), we swapped. i could see some of his mousse and he could see my bitterness, so to speak. but that said, by the time i finished his 'good one', i was utterly underwhelmed. anyone thinking that this is another monte sublime is going to be very very disappointed i suspect. granted very young but saw nothing here to excite me and nothing to make me want a box.

that said, couple of points. monte's seem to be the most variable of all the LE's. i know some people love the 'C's but i have never had a half decent one and i've tried. similarly, some people have been disappointed by the sublimes, whereas i've never had one that wasn't stellar - one of the great LE's for me. now we have variation with these.

also, the point colt raises was one i have been intending to raise for a while. how accurate is the date stamp? given the somewhat haphazard approach to certain matters in cuba, how can we be sure that these were not rolled a year ago hand have been sitting there waiting to be boxed?

as for stonefruit, check you own reviews. you sway with public opinion worse than rudd.

I really can't fathom a cigar that tastes "grubby" in the final third rating a 90 or above. But then I have gone on record as saying that those ratings on a 0-100 (really 80-100) scale are practically meaningless.

I pay more attention to the words than to the numerical rating. On that basis, I would rate these a "buy and hold" depending on the price point and how far in the bag Rob was during the review. Personally I never tasted chocolate mousse in a cigar.

Always enjoy the videos.

I really can't fathom a cigar that tastes "grubby" in the final third rating a 90 or above. But then I have gone on record as saying that those ratings on a 0-100 (really 80-100) scale are practically meaningless.

I pay more attention to the words than to the numerical rating. On that basis, I would rate these a "buy and hold" depending on the price point and how far in the bag Rob was during the review. Personally I never tasted chocolate mousse in a cigar.

Always enjoy the videos.

i assure you that my rating was nowhere near 90. i'd have gone around 85. as for rob being in the bag, no more or less than usual.

Jesus. Somebody give Ken a Behike. LEs and chocolate are a common comparison. Is 'mousse' any odder than 'molten chocolate.'

I stand by my stone fruit comment. Yes. SLR and apricot go together. SLR and plum? Not so much.

Up the codeine for your painful roots mate!

Jesus. Somebody give Ken a Behike. LEs and chocolate are a common comparison. Is 'mousse' any odder than 'molten chocolate.'

I stand by my stone fruit comment. Yes. SLR and apricot go together. SLR and plum? Not so much.

Up the codeine for your painful roots mate!

there was/is no pain. teeth fine. think it was the dentist trying his luck.

not sure which stonefruit comment you are refering to, but if it is apricot and SLR DC's then i am 100% with you. absolutely.

and re the mousse, i am certainly not disputing that it was evident in the 'good one' but it faded a bit too soon and was replaced by nothing interesting.

agree re LE's and chocolate - a recent 03 LE hoyo pyramide was ALL chocolate.

and anine can feel free to give me a behike but i won't hold my breath.

Has anyone else noted that ken has been bloody cranky lately :innocent:

Great Review.. Hmmm, you guys got a new coffee table .

Ken's taste bud for the mousse chocolate must have been pulled out, when his baby teeth fell out.