Chuck's final lesson

Bob,

I enjoyed the complete picture you painted with the review! I truly love the RA 898, and hording a box of ABR 02s for another 5 years or so, one of these days, I'll be able to enjoy this fruitfull banquet of flavors on my palate again! Nicely done.

Tampa

The above quote is from a review of the Ramon Allones 8-9-8, found at http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=7825

I was researching old posts on the RA 8-9-8 in anticipation of a box I somehow managed to snag thanks to a great Army friend of mine. Never smoked one before, so I wanted to know what I was going to experience!

I've never met Chuck, and although he's given me some sage cigar advice on the forums in the short time we both were FOH members, I never really got to know him, and I wish I had, because it sounds like he was a hell of a guy and a consummate BOTL.

With that said, when he passed recently, I felt bad, because it terribly sucks when somehow who clearly touched many lives goes away, but ..........because I never really knew him - it didn't hit me that hard. A sad event, to be sure, but only an acquaintance for me.

But when I read his post above...and looked at the date he posted...and realized that he (unless he changed his mind between then and now) never got to enjoy these cigars that he truly loved because he was saving them until they would be truly excellent.....It Hit me

A powerful wave of sadness passed through me, the inevitable realization that live is short, and though we can plan and scrimp and save and hope - when it's time to go, there's no outrunning the end. You need to live now, enjoy what we have while we know that we have it!

This is not to say that aging cigars is wrong or a bad idea - but it certainly means that cigars are meant to be enjoyed with friends and family, and more than that - they are meant to be ENJOYED. Age 'em if they need it, but don't hold back on a favorite - because you never know.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. It is from the heart to my keyboard. RIP Chuck.

• Like 2

Point well made - the thought of the finality of it all can sometimes suck the air from one's lungs. On the more "technical" side of things, I guess aging some

cigars is simply the nature of the beast. I've read more than once of more mature individuals who stopped buying wines that would require quite a bit of aging

because they weren't sure that they'd be able to enjoy it.

A number of years back, I finally came to the realization that when it comes to cigars and wine, I don't need to sweat it. I don't need that particular box

or bottle. If I can acquire it, fine. If not, there's always something else that will come along which I can enjoy. And yes, I agree it's all first and foremost about

enjoyment.

To borrow a phrase, "Life Is Not a Dress Rehearsal"

Absolutely right, Chris, and a profound thought too. On the other hand, if you absolutely know a cigar is going to be better in 2 (or 5) years, I think it makes sense to put it down until you think it's as good as it's going to get. True, fate may decide you don't stick around to enjoy it, but just make sure whoever's getting your cigars when you're gone is someone who will appreciate it. Whatever comes next, I'm pretty sure I won't give a damn about my cigars at that point.

I was lucky enough to get to spend a lot of time with Chuck. In fact I smoked RA 898s with him, his own, and some he helped me find and buy. Yes, Chuck did hide away that one box of RA 898s. But he smoked plenty of them! In fact he had a philosophy, the local guys all remember him saying this repeatedly, something like--"Buy three boxes. Have one you smoke from right away, one you put away for a year or two, and one that you age long term. Put 'em away, fugged aboudem."

I'll never forget the day my son and I helped Chuck move his new Aristocrat into his apartment. Chuck went to his existing wine cooler, and pulled out an unopened dress box of 1997 Bolivar Petit Coronas. He had kept them, untouched, for years, as was his custom. He cracked open that box to celebrate that great occasion, that Aristocrat he had always dreamed of. My son still remembers what a great cigar that was, and how generous Chuck was to break that box for us.

Chuck had several heart attacks, but he never lived his life in fear of death. That unsmoked box of RA 898s was a part of him looking forward to the future. We all have to dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I, too, knew Chuck very personally. A great guy, always with a great smile and a fellow well met.

For ten years I've had a gathering of cigar lovers throughout the world at my place here, and Chuck never missed one. He was usually the first to arrive and the last to leave. Of course he was a fellow North Carolinian, so even when he lived in Florida he made the pilgrimage.

I looked in his aristocrat one day and saw a preponderance of Ramon Allones. I was somewhat surprised given his love of Partagas and he explained that he had a bit of equal love of both marcas.

I can relate to that, I think!

• Like 1

This thread inspired me to burn a 2002 RA 898V in Chuck's honor. It was a great smoke, at eight years of age it was fully mature. I thought of Chuck as I smoked it, and I could see him smiling.

I never burn a Party Connoisseur, a Monte Especiale, or other "long skinny" without at least a passing thought of Chuck. Here's to you, my man. May all the clouds in your skies be sweet and spicy ones!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

When ever someone passes, it sends a wake up call to the people who were touched, in some way, by that particular person. The hard part of that lesson, besides losing a great brother/family member/friends/etc., is to continue to remember the lesson that it taught you. We have such short attention spans and can easily forget what truly matter to us in life, and focus on what just gives pleasure in the immediate moment. I always say to myself, if I have the chance to look back on my life on my death bed, what will I have cherished most? What will have REALLY mattered to me the most? I never knew Chuck personally, but I know he was an amazing BOTL who paid it forward, and he will be sorely missed.

So smoke those cigars ladies and gents! Drink that bottle of wine, and crack open that special beer. Grab your sweetheart and tell them how much it means to you to be by their side each and every day, because tomorrow may never come.

Cheers to my FOH brothers and sisters! Thanks for making this a place where we can be reminded of what truly matters in a world full of meaningless distraction and temptations.

"Add life to your years, and not years to your life! "

-Billy