THE KARATE KID - REMAKE

MIKA27

The Karate Kid

258111_257864_karate_kid_intl_df-11458_cp_1_.jpg

Twelve year old Dre Parker could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying - and the feeling is mutual - but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, and kung fu prodigy, Cheng. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han, who is secretly a master of kung fu.

258121_257866_karate_kid_intl_df-27222_r_1_.jpg

MIKA: I love Jackie Chan movies, the old chinese movies of he, Samo Hung and Yuen Baio were brilliant. Its a shame JC doesnt make more serious movies like Jet Lee does as he certainly has the art and is one of the all time greats.

As for the movie, I haven't seen it, I dont know why they call it the Karate kid when its Kung Fu being taught!? :huh::D

The original movie was pretty good for what it was (I was much younger), Pat Morita was brilliant as Mr Miagi (Even the name has changed in this version). ;)

That is it easy... marketing. The Karate Kid was a successful franchise that people think good about.... so you can add a percentage of ticket sales just on name recognition alone.

"The Kung Fu Kid" would lose out on this.

Kinda like Non-Cuban cigars using "Cuban" in their name... or like the Montecristo Open.

The Original for me every time (I think Hollywood at times seems to market to the lowest common denominator ,nothing new and original any more accept for PIXAR :)

The Original for me every time (I think Hollywood at times seems to market to the lowest common denominator ,nothing new and original any more accept for PIXAR :clap:

All Pixar movies are great... i find it hard for me to watch other animated movies... that said, it is funny you would say that right after they release Toy Story 3 :D Don't get me wrong it was good, but it is a highly marketable (I don't think there will be an Up 2 in the near future).... annnnnnddddd.... the concept is stolen from the 1987 Disney flick "The Brave Little Toaster".

Dont like will smiths kid in this kind of movie.

I agree Samb, I generally dislike watching anyone thats in flicks because of their parents influences getting them into movies like Will Smiths son who is not a really great actor anyway. They should have chosen an unknown who I think would have lured more people to watch the movie.

Saying that however, there are a few who are great, like Michael Douglas, Keifer Southerland (I'm sure there are more). :D

What a disgrace to a movie I was a big fan of when I was a kid...

No "Cruel Summer" in the sound track...no 80s summer feel to it.

Then there's Jackie Chan!!! ARGhhhh! Mr.Myagi was downright awesome in the old movies, how can you replace him with Mr.Han?! Wtf!

::Kicks the fence!::

:rotfl:

Then there's Jackie Chan!!! ARGhhhh! Mr.Myagi was downright awesome in the old movies, how can you replace him with Mr.Han?! Wtf!

::Kicks the fence!::

:rotfl:

That's "Wax off!" :rotfl:

Wasn't Mr Han the bad guy in the all time and Legendary classic "Enter the Dragon" with Bruce Lee?

Yep, that was him. Now that's an awesome movie. I'm sure someone will remake it soon though. That seems to be the new thing in movies, they just rip off things that worked once before for a new generation that doesn't know any better.

I used to project movies, fix projection equipment for a living, and I met some kids that didn't know transformers was an 80s tv show!

Yep, that was him. Now that's an awesome movie. I'm sure someone will remake it soon though. That seems to be the new thing in movies, they just rip off things that worked once before for a new generation that doesn't know any better.

I used to project movies, fix projection equipment for a living, and I met some kids that didn't know transformers was an 80s tv show!

I agree.

I hope they dont even attempt to remake ENTER THE DRAGON. <_<

No one can replace Bruce Lee's role.

I cant remember a movie thats been re-made as having as good a story as compared to the older version.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (Great CGI but story could have been better)

Clash Of The Titans (Really, really shortened story compared to original)

The Karate Kid (Kung Fu Kid)

Poseidon (Shortened story line and bad casting compared to the classic)

War of The Worlds (The exception)

I am sure there are more examples and even exceptions.

The Transformers movies have been great IMO, I really love them and have fond memories of the 80's cartoons. :2thumbs:

I actually recently watched the transformers animated movie from 1986 on Youtube the other day and it was friggin awesome (the one where Optimus gets killed by Megatron). It was way better than the new movies, even though Megan Fox is in the new movies... :2thumbs:

I actually recently watched the transformers animated movie from 1986 on Youtube the other day and it was friggin awesome (the one where Optimus gets killed by Megatron). It was way better than the new movies, even though Megan Fox is in the new movies... :lookaround:

Megan is an absolute goddess but you know, she won't be in Transformers 3, she quit and they recast the role...... :innocent:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MIKA: I love Jackie Chan movies, the old chinese movies of he, Samo Hung and Yuen Baio were brilliant. Its a shame JC doesnt make more serious movies like Jet Lee does as he certainly has the art and is one of the all time greats.

Have you had a chance to check out The Shinjuku Incident? I thought this was a great movie. It isn't what a westerner would expect from a kung-fu film, and in fact there is very little kung-fu if any. Jackie Chan plays a reluctant tough guy, an illegal Chinese migrant in Japan. If you are interested in more serious Chan movies, I wouldn't be surprised if you've seen this one already. If you haven't, I would recommend it.

It's hard for me to described, but there is a weird pace to the movie that is unfamiliar to me (since I watch US movies mostly). Nonetheless, I thought it was really good.

The Shinjuku Incident