Cuban Davidoff's

I've been storing a couple of Cuban Davidoff No 1's for quite some time now. Yesterday my friend and I made a night out of smoking them. The cigars are from 1970 and I must say, I am impressed! People that have reviewed them have either praised their virtues or were disappointed to end up with a musty dry smoke. I am happy to report that mine were out of this world.

1st third

Started off smooth with immaculate burn. Subtle tastes of cedar/leather. By the end of the 1st third it really started to come alive.

2nd Third.

Tobacco toastiness started to come alive. Dry walnut tastes, more leather, light coffee. The burn was still beautiful. Of note was the ash. It was white and "light". It fell on to me without warning and pretty much turned to dust. Nonetheless it was good for 1.25 inches of ash at a time.

3rd Third.

The cigar gradually got stronger. Adding some coffee ground notes, wood, pecan/walnut flavours. I had to take off the band and keep going. It was that good and when dealing with such a cigar artifact, you have to give it the respect it deserves and see it through. Good or bad. Fortunately, it was more than good.

Conclusion.

Expensive. But cheaper than CGR. I've never smoked a CGR but I felt I got my money's worth by smoking a little piece of Cuban cigar history. These babies will never be made again and the supply is dwindling rather quickly. I feel I was very fortunate that mine tasted so damn good. My friend also smoked his to the nub. Overall smoking time was a little over an hour. The draw was smooth. Lots of cool smoke. Worth every penny.

Sidenote: I filmed our Davidoff adventure. With the right editing I'll see if I can churn out a video review. We paired the cigars with a bottle of Pol Roger Champagne. Which was just wonderful and complemented this fine cigar.

Cheers. :cigar:

BW

Enjoyed your review. Proper storage is everything with these cigars. The couple #1s I've smoked were not musty, but expired & devoid of any flavor. On the other hand, recently smoked Chateau Latour & Margaux both were stunningly good.

Congratulations bundwallah, on a great review ,this babies are as rare as rocking horse sh#t :lol:

Glad you enjoyed them,great cigars good company great wine ,cannot be beaten :clap:

Cheers OZ :cigar:

*I've got ONE Cuban Davidoff lonsdale. I bought 2 of them in 1998 in Georgia, smoked one, and have just the other one left. The ones the guy had he told me had some water spillage on the band, but assured me they were smokeable. The one I smoked was pretty OK, and probably just suffered the time and possible dryness, but I wasn't really disappointed. The one I have left I will probably not smoke. It's just here in humidor with my one remaining Montecristo A and other years old cigars that I am just leaving alone.

awesome review thanks! I am sitting on one of these that I just havent found the right time to light up, though I cant wait.

Enjoyed your review. Proper storage is everything with these cigars. The couple #1s I've smoked were not musty, but expired & devoid of any flavor. On the other hand, recently smoked Chateau Latour & Margaux both were stunningly good.

Chateau Latour & Margaux - Legendary Smokes Indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

I was very fortunate to smoke quite a few Cuban Davidoffs in the late 1980's to mid-1990's (they would beat the DR imposters any day!).

The Tubos were the only unpleasant ones; all without exception had a metallic taste. Although the Dom Pérignon was, along with the 80 Aniversario (which latter I haven't yet tried), reputed to be the best of the bunch, I found that the Château Lafitte Rothschild, Château Margaux and Château Latour were just as satisfying. The No. 1 was a real delight too.