Your favourite 10yr old single malt and why

winelover

For ME, the single malt that best represents 10 years is The Glenmorangie. Mild yet ever so complex. No fancy wood(s). Just Scotch. In MY opinion it is the benchmark to which all other young scotches must be compared. ENJOY!

It's not a 10-year-old, but I highly recommend Glenlivet Nadurra. It's a 16-year-old single malt, aged in American oak casks that were previously used for making bourbon.

I'm not a fan of scotch/whiskey at all - I like my aged rum instead. I really can't stand whiskey. When I was a bartender years back at a local restaurant/bar, I tried my hand at a number of Scotches, but just couldn't learn to love them. Especially the Islay stuff, notably Laguvelin [spelling?] - wow, way too "peaty" and tart for me. But I have a bottle of this Nadurra stuff in my liquor cabinet for my father-in-law to enjoy when he comes over, and this is about the only Scotch that I will have and at least enjoy. There's very strong hits of creamy vanilla, floral smoothness (tulips/carnations?), and noticable oakiness with a bit of citrus. It is very wonderful, actually. I've bought bottles of Scotch numerous times as gifts for friends/business associates that absolutely love scotch, and it's always this - and I always end up hearing surprised very-high praise from the recipients.

To the best of my knowledge, Glenlivet Nadurra is something that you can only get in Duty-Free shops worldwide (at least, that's what the signage says in the store at my Canada/US border Duty-Free). It's about $70 USD or so a bottle, and is worth every penny of that and more. I highly recommend anybody try this if they can get their hands on it, especially if you like any of the other Glenlivet's or other Speyside malts.

But, I do know both my father-in-law, and my scotch drinking neighbour, both really also like the Macallen Sherry Oak 10-year-old, if that helps any.

I agree. I have been trying to love scotch for yaers, but can't get over the peat.

Reading hear has really helped me understand what profile I should be tasting/looking for and what brands to stay away from. I think the floral, vanilla type will pair well with my bourban pallett...

Of the 10 years, Laphroiag is it for me.

Robust, body, peat, bite. It's got it all. Mind you, this is one of those malts (Islay to be exact) that you will either love it or hate it. At first I hated it. Halfway through the bottle, I knew it would be a friend for life.

Drink it neat, 2-3 fingers, to start and your face will turn to this ---> :2thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Would you guys say that whiskey could be classified the same way we classify cigars as having a light/medium/full flavour? I've always struggled to develop a taste for whiskey. I tried a Lagavulin 16 recently, and found that to be pretty full on. Can anyone recommend more of a "starter" whiskey?

Would you guys say that whiskey could be classified the same way we classify cigars as having a light/medium/full flavour? I've always struggled to develop a taste for whiskey. I tried a Lagavulin 16 recently, and found that to be pretty full on. Can anyone recommend more of a "starter" whiskey?

I think the best "starter" Whisky out there is Oban 14. It's a Western Highlands whisky which gives you a good middle ground between the smoke of the islands and the sweet/fruitiness of some of the Eastern Highlands and Speysides. A nice rich, slighty salty character. I think that it is very approachable neat or with a drop or two of water. It's great for a beginner but is a classic that you will keep going back to. I sound like a commercial but I love the stuff. I keep it on hand for anyone who is not really into Scotch Whisky but wants to give it a shot. Never dissapoints.

Also, If you liked the Lagavulin 16 (I love it!) but found it a little too full on for now, then you may want to try Caol Ila 12. It is one of the milder Islays in my opinion. You should still be able to get that peaty/salty/iodine profile from Islay with maybe a bit less edge.

There is a Highland Park 8 year on the market right now (independent bottler) that is quite an excellent value. Caol Ila was a great recommendation by the way Rogers72!

Dalwhinnie is a decent starter malt. Glenmorangie and Glenlivet 15 are gentle enough.

Isle of Skye is a good introduction to the Talisker profile.

Johnnie Walker Green is a great blended malt (Talisker, Caol Ila, several others) for beginners (or even veterans... it is a great blend in my opinion).

Bowmore 12 is a less-peated Islay.

Macallan 12 is a good way to see how you feel about sherry casks. I generally prefer bourbon casks but there are diverse opinions about cask types, finishing casks, etc.

You will be driking Brora and Port Ellen in no time!!

Ha. Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

After reading all the high praise for the ten year Talisker I'm really looking forward to opening the bottle I bought a couple years ago but never got to!

The ten year that I go for is Aberlour. Floral, smooth, and easy. Now I'm thinking I need to go out and get another bottle!

Great Topic!

I recently bought a scotch that I just don't go for...The Bowmore Legend...12 year I think...never had a scotch with a flavor of iodine before and it's not for me. On that note, is that flavor also described as 'peat?'. Trying to steer clear of the iodine flavor at all costs!

I recently bought a scotch that I just don't go for...The Bowmore Legend...12 year I think...never had a scotch with a flavor of iodine before and it's not for me. On that note, is that flavor also described as 'peat?'. Trying to steer clear of the iodine flavor at all costs!

Yes and no. Iodine and peat are categorized within the phenolic taste/smell profiles. So if a whisky has a peat characteristic, there's a good chance it'll also have an iodine (or medicinal) characteristic and visa-versa. As a general rule for you then, stay away from malts that come from the Islay region and you should be ok.

• 4 months later...

Glengoyne 10 I rate as my favourite Whiskey. By far the smoothest that I have tried. The smoothness to me works perfctly with a good cigar, neither covering up flavours from either the stick or spirit but just providing a solid platform for a cigar to be drunk from.

+1 on the woodford reserve also, I was introduced to it a couple of years back when a friend of mine (who lives virtually next to the distillery) would not shut up about it.

+1 on the woodford reserve also, I was introduced to it a couple of years back when a friend of mine (who lives virtually next to the distillery) would not shut up about it.

think i have posted this before but always been a fan of the woodford, though, for reasons i never quite understood, i was sent a sample bottle from batch 1 of the release of the woodford reserve (they note the batch number on the bottle). i also tried numerous bottles from numerous other subsequent batches. good as they are, none have come close to that first one. it was a magnificent spirit. i know things should be consistent but i wish i could find more from that very first release.

think i have posted this before but always been a fan of the woodford, though, for reasons i never quite understood, i was sent a sample bottle from batch 1 of the release of the woodford reserve (they note the batch number on the bottle). i also tried numerous bottles from numerous other subsequent batches. good as they are, none have come close to that first one. it was a magnificent spirit. i know things should be consistent but i wish i could find more from that very first release.

It really is a lovely drink isn't it, I've managed to turn die-hard bourbon haters wich a single measure. I'm on a bottle from batch 54 at the moment so can't match your luck! The nice thing is the in the UK it has really taken off in the last year, pretty much all of the large supermarkets stock it permanently now. Nice to see recognition for the guys work.

I could be wrong but I think I recall my friend in Kentucky saying tht they do a reserve...of the reserve which is hard to get even for him, maybe that selection is more like your first batch? Worth a look into at the very least.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great names being banded about here, good to find some fellow whisky lovers. I've visited most of the major distilleries at least once, living in Scotland does have a couple of perks even if the weather isn't one of them!

I'd have to put my money on Talisker as well for the best 10yo, it was love at first sip for me. It shows a complexity that I think a lot of younger whiskys don't have and there's a good dose of peat without venturing into Ardbeg or Laphroaig territory which can put a lot of people off. I find the 18yo to be a totally different beast, the extra age mellows it out considerably and I find that what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. I probably perfer the Distillers Edition (The Lagavulin Distillers edition is even better).

If Talisker still has too much peat for you but you like the sweet christmas pudding spice elements to the flavour then I cannot recommend The Dalmore 12yo enough and if you want to splash out a little more go for The Dalmore Gran Reserva, it's probably my favourite whisky to pair with a cigar. Have it with a RASS or a PSD4 and you'll be in heaven!