What is your any-time/all-time favourite drink to enjoy with a good Cuban cigar?

CanuckSARTech

What is your favourite drink to pair with ANY Cuban cigar?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've looked back through some old threads, and I didn't really find one total thread that answered my question, so here's a question/poll for the Forum...

What is your "go-to" drink to enjoy with a cigar, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic?

Now, I'm not talking about an individual drink to go with each individual cigar. We all know how a Cohiba Robusto is a completely different taste experience from a Partagas Serie D No. 4, and how a different drink paired with each can enhance each experience (for example, like a wheat beer and a strong Cuban coffee paired with each, respectively). I know everyone has their favourites for each individual cigar, and even within that, there's a plethora of choices with each type of beverage (scotches, for example - holy crap, are there a lot to choose from!).

But, what I'm trying to figure out, is what is the general consensus of what is a "safe" beverage to enjoy with a Cuban cigar. I know what I pick, but I'm wondering the Forum's opinion here, to maybe help out some of those who are newer to Cuban cigars. What is an alcoholic, and then a non-alcoholic, beverage that you would choose/suggest to be consumed while, say, sparking up a cigar that's newer to your palate, that you haven't had a chance to enjoy before, and you know nothing of it? You're coming into it absolutely neutral - you stayed away from other people's reviews, you don't know what the flavour profile of the cigar is already reported to be, and you're smoking it relatively blind. What drink would you choose to fully enjoy your cigar experience, to let your palate absorb all of the Habanos lusciousness?

Please choose one of each - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

Yes, I know there's a lot of beverages that could be listed on there - but I wanted to keep the choices to within a dozen. And, I know there's an abundance of Cuban selections - but, we are pairing these with a Cuban cigar, so, I thought that it would be more than fair to list pairing products arrisen out of the same soils.

Enjoy, and cheers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its a completely new cigar, my best bet usually lies in a plain ol' coffee. Other than that, I like to have a glass of wine with a cigar best. Depends on the mood too, sometimes a beer or scotch comes to mind. In the winter, I find myself reaching for brandy with the cigar.

I usually...almost every time drink water with cigars. Especially during the weekdays. But on weekends I turn to beer. Nothing to strong that's going to overpower the cigar of choice. My 3rd choice would be rum and lastly whiskey. Also for some weird reason, once in a while I like root beer or cream soda with cigars.

hennessy vsop is my drink of choice when enjoying a cuban although these days im starting 2 get into single malt scotch glenmorangie being exceptionally well, have a bottle of glenmorangie signet which im opening next week and going 2 pair it with a cohiba siglo VI gran reserva should be intresting.

on another note had some hennessy xo last night at my gf's sister's engagment and keeped thinging i should have brought a cigar, i actually have had it a few times but could not remember it being that smooth, highly recommended if your a cognac drinker.

water being my non alcoholic drink of choice especially when trying new cigars for the first time

While I drink all types of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages with my cigars, i would say that my goto alocholic beverage would be Ron Zacapa Centernario 23 Anos neat. My goto non-alocholic beverage used to be a coffee type drink, either a latte or espresso; however, these days I find myself turning to Coke Zero. i really like that pairing.

Depends on where I am. At my local, it's either coffee or scotch (more often the former). At home, it's more often water.

I never drank rum until I was introduced to Ron Zacapa (and convinced to try some). Really nice, but haven't gotten around to buying any for myself.

1. Rum - Zaya or Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Anos

1. Bourbon - Woodford Reserve or George Stagg

3. Port - Fonseca 10 year Tawny or Warre's Otima 10 year Tawny

For the hot weather, it's rum. As the weather gets cooler I switch to bourbon or port.

I find that Port or Cognac goes well with most cigars. Typically I try to pair the cigars strength to the drink. For me, strong cigar = milder drink. You don't want them to overpower each other. They should complement. Also, for aged cigars, champagne goes well. It helps clean your palate and enjoy the subtle flavours of an older cigar.

Wow, there's quite a majority going for the non-alcohic. Wouldn't have guessed.

I love my cigar with a nice glass of rum (just discovered the beautiful matching Zacapo 23) or a fine red wine (preferably a good shiraz or other, not to heavy and fruit-laden). All of course accompanied by a glass of clear water.

Wow, there's quite a majority going for the non-alcohic. Wouldn't have guessed...

I've been thinking the same thing. As people have been posting to this thread, I'm amazed at the number of people who are mentioning non-alcoholic drinks, and/or just good ol' plain water. I'm a little bit flabbergasted, honestly.

Maybe it's just my Canadian sensibility. A cigar gets paired with a rum, and a Cuban pairing works better than most. Like I said, just could be the drunken Canadian in me. ;)

1.coffee

2. rum

3. scotch

4. Beer

5.whatever else

Coffee has always been my perfect choice with a cigar. be it morning noon or night. Thanks to the many generations of over-consumption of coffee it seems that caffeine has no real effect on the coffee drinkers in my family. So it's 9:30 p.m off to smoke with a cup-o-joe.

• 2 months later...