What is your any-time/all-time favourite drink to enjoy with a good Cuban cigar?

CanuckSARTech

What is your favourite drink to pair with ANY Cuban cigar?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As a Canuck, I find water a strange pairing...More often than not, my drink of choice is coffee. I tend to smoke the majority of my cigars sitting in traffic on the way home after work so not much choice there.

At home, I'll usually go for fuller bodied red, or port. Some nice single malt on occasion

When I'm in Cuba, it's usually Mojitos.

Right now I'm enjoying a JL#2 with a can of Brio (go figure) :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am smoking a particular cigar for the first time, I ALWAYS drink water with it, only because I want to experience the cigar undiluted or unaffected by anything else. Aside from water, I am a big Scotch drinker, so that invariably is my net choice.

I voted other alcoholic drinks as I like to have a glass of wine with a cigar and sometimes if I can champagne. If I am having spirits I tend to prefer a good cognac or armagnac but I do enjoy rum too.

Non-alcoholic - it has got to be coffee (a drug habit in itself :D). I prefer Italian espresso blends (lavazza, Illy etc.) but usually make them with a cafetiere.

• 3 weeks later...
:cigar: I can't see the purpose of both cigar AND liquor. That's just me. To me they just cancel each other out. If I have a cigar, what do I need with alcohol/If I have alcohol, what the hell do I need with a cigar TOO? As I don't drink (anymore...too habit-forming, you know) I keep a combination iced fruit drink and herb tea combo as my drink of choice with my habanos & other smokes to cool down my mouth.

if it's a new cigar, i take a few puffs and then decide what to drink with it (if anything)

Fortified wines (Port, sherry etc) seem to work well with the widest range of cigars esp. those with lots tannin, little or no sweetness (diplomaticos, punch, MC etc). Red wines - never what a waste. White wines - not really.

Spirits (scotch, cognac, rums etc) only with heavyweight ones (bolivar etc), i only do this once in a while.

Beer - i love beer in all its forms but the only beer i've found that's non-watery enough to compliment a cigar is Guinness. Very rarely have i done this.

and coffee, love coffee with sweet creamy cedary cigars in the morning, JL no1s Hoyo du Maires quai d'orsay por larranaga etc yum. Prob 2 out of every 3 cigars i have are with coffee in the morning.

Well i have tried 12yr Macallan Scotch, Cheap Canadain beer,Tim Hortons Coffee & straight up Cola.

I really perfer coffee , but I have been spicing it up with Kaluha ,Bailey's & White Rum. I would strongly recommend it next time . I am always open to trying new things myself, but a fella always has his Ol faithful.

• 3 weeks later...

Since im a homebrewer/beer freak I generally always go with a beer. If I do Rum I love Ron Zacapa or La Flor Da Cana is good too. English Harbor(Antigua) is good too.

As far as beer goes if the stick is what I would consider spicy then you have to pair it up with a good IPA. Hoppy + spicy= good. If your earthy, muddy in your stick then a good Russian Imperial Stoudt.

IPA- Port Brewing, Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing

Russian- Bell's Expedition Stoudt, North Coast "old rasputin", Alesmith Speedway Stoudt

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread that really speaks to the variety of peoples individual tastes. As for me not being a coffee drinker I usually go for a light tea (white or green) in the non alcoholic catagory. In the adult beverage selection I go for a high quality Tequila (my current fav. is Maracame Anejo) and when in the mood for a beer with a good cigar I go for Innis & Gunn Limited Edition Highland Cask. Beer is aged in 21 year old single malt wiskey barrels for 49 days. mmmmmm mmmmm good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The beverage I select with my Cigar depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I go with water but there are times when I have some rum. The best rums I've had with cigars are:

1. Ron Zacapa 23

2. Pyrat XO

3. Ron Pampero Anniversario

4. Havana Club Anejo 7 yr.

I've looked back through some old threads, and I didn't really find one total thread that answered my question, so here's a question/poll for the Forum...

What is your "go-to" drink to enjoy with a cigar, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic?

but I'm wondering the Forum's opinion here, to maybe help out some of those who are newer to Cuban cigars.

Please choose one of each - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

Enjoy, and cheers.

Hey Thanks much for this poll. I am new to Cubans, and appreciate hearing what others have to say. I am a bit surprised that more people didn't choose a nice plain water. When I want to really focus on a cigar I always choose Brooklyn tap water. I definitely, enjoy pairing certain cigars with bitter coffee, because I find it can highlight the sweetness in the cigar that I normally am less sensitive to, but overall, I think I like water best.

I said scotch, only because I love scotch - not so much because I have been able to successfully pair scotch with any cigar, never had much luck on this front.

Thanks Again,

Pete

Really need to toss Bourbon in there as a selection...

Makers

Woodford

Coffee

Water

I agree. I noticed bourbon was missing. You'd choose Makers over Woodford? I'm not sure I would do the same. How do you feel about Eagle Rare? I think that's one of the best bang-for-you-buck bourbons.

Louisville is a great city, by the way. I had some friends living there, and always found it a welcoming place, even if folks can be a little crazy.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...