Preserving smoked cigars?

I'm looking for a way to preserve/save cigars I have smoked as a memento. Sort of how some restaurants preserve their dishes for display in their window.

Does anyone know what they use? Is it shellac? Varnish? I want to be able to seal it in otherwise it will just be a smelly old cigar and not a keepsake.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a way to preserve/save cigars I have smoked as a memento. Sort of how some restaurants preserve their dishes for display in their window.

Does anyone know what they use? Is it shellac? Varnish? I want to be able to seal it in otherwise it will just be a smelly old cigar and not a keepsake.

You want to save the nubs?

I think a lot of the restaurant dishes you see on display are artificial. There are companies out there that specialize in creating them. Don't see that much where I am, but I've been places like HK where you see a lot of it.

As for preserving a cigar nub, the best I can think of is to use acrylic casting resin. You'd end up with a clear plastic cube (or other shape) with the cigar embedded in it.

post-5972-1282337726.jpg post-5972-1282338215.jpg

Keep the bands.

Throw them into a small glass flip-top jar.

When it's full, buy a bigger jar, and start again.

Repeat as necessary.

I can honestly say, that in all my years of smoking cigars... that I have never had the urge to keep a smoked cigar nub.

Having thought about it, for about 36 seconds now... Im not sure if the idea work for me...

I flatten out most of the bands from what I smoke in a book for a few days then toss them in a ceramic jar.

While I can see the incentive for keeping a 1492 nub or the like, I have never been that attached to a cigar to be inclined to do anything but let it rest in an ashtray and later dumped in the bushes.

i had to check to see if this was posted on april 1.

each to their own, though. personally, not in a million years would i ever have thought of doing it. why not an outdoor potplant or patch of garden where the nubs go as compost as so contribute back to world?

displaying it to others might be fun. i've heard of come up and see my etchings but come up and see my nubs??

when my wife's dad died her uncle took one of his classic cars and restored it... when he was cleaning it out he found the ashtray overflowing with cigarettes that my father in-law had smoked. as an homage to him, he preserved all the butts in the ashtray as they were. i believe he used some sort of spray on epoxy, whatever it was it worked great.

why not an outdoor potplant or patch of garden where the nubs go as compost as so contribute back to world?

Ken, you nailed my policy. Smoking for me is a green activity. I have a foot or two-wide dirt section against the house behind bushes. That's where my expensive biodegradeables go.

why not an outdoor potplant or patch of garden where the nubs go as compost as so contribute back to world?

Ken, you nailed my policy. Smoking for me is a green activity. I have a foot or two-wide dirt section against the house behind bushes. That's where my expensive biodegradeables go.

I'm enjoying the responses to this thread. I knew I'd get some guff posting about it but I'm serious. Just looking for ways to preserve a few old cigars that are not smokeable and a few nubs I've kept. I.e First ever cigar I smoked, etc.

Otherwise, I'm with you guys on the compost thing. I bury my dead soldiers in the flower garden and cross my fingers that a robusto plant sprouts up. :)

my garden might be a mess but it has some of the world's most expensive compost!

...why not an outdoor potplant or patch of garden where the nubs go as compost as so contribute back to world?

Uhhh, Ken? I presume that you mean "potted plant"? 'Cause here, potplant means something completely different, and more of the Jamaican lineage rather than Cuban. :huh:

I am thinking there could develop a secondary market for high quality "butts" which are traded globally amongst collectors for a small brokerage fee :tantrum:

There is. It's called being a "pimp". :blonde::drool::):love::lol2::king:

Uhhh, Ken? I presume that you mean "potted plant"? 'Cause here, potplant means something completely different, and more of the Jamaican lineage rather than Cuban. :)

i did meant potplant, in the aussie sense, but accept it does have a somewhat different connatation in different locales. potted plant to those whom feel happier with that appellation.

I am thinking there could develop a secondary market for high quality "butts" which are traded globally amongst collectors for a small brokerage fee ;)

I must say, I have always been a huge fan of high quality butts but how do you put a price on that.

When I smoke out by the pool just as a joke I have stuck a few nubs on the barbs of a boganvilia plant that grows next to the gate.

I call it my stogy tree, there have been some funny comments.

Interesting. I think i'd use a epoxy or a clear resin. you would have to make a mold and wait untill it hardened. And you would have to polish it like a stone. I think this is the way to do it if it's a do-it-yourselfer job. Should be easier than using acrylic. (((( Legal disclaimer: If it doesn't work don't blame me I've never done it, but if I did, I'd do it this way))))))))

Give it a shot and let us know

You are kidding right?

Mine are preserved for me. The nice man comes to the curb once a week and places them keenly in a vehicle designed for their entombment with that of the million year life plastic bottles and half eaten Twinkies!!! Why not just save a new Petit Robusto and call it a nub? Okay... I am hung up on refrigerated humidors... and there are likely more than a few other flaws in my personality!!! But saving cigar butts!!! For Christ's sake, what are you thinking???

Mods if I am outta' bounds here just toss the post out and put another black star by my name! -Piggy

You are kidding right?

Mine are preserved for me. The nice man comes to the curb once a week and places them keenly in a vehicle designed for their entombment with that of the million year life plastic bottles and half eaten Twinkies!!! Why not just save a new Petit Robusto and call it a nub? Okay... I am hung up on refrigerated humidors... and there are likely more than a few other flaws in my personality!!! But saving cigar butts!!! For Christ's sake, what are you thinking???

Mods if I am outta' bounds here just toss the post out and put another black star by my name! -Piggy

;) No need to toss the post Piggy. I started this thread, I'll see it through to the bitter end. Folks. Think of it as taxidermy for cigars. My whole motivation for the post is this. I have about a half dozen Cuban Davidoff's. Once I've smoked them, I'd like to preserve/seal along with the bands and put them in a display case. It may sound crazy to you but to me they are relics I'd like to keep and put in a small display box. Any of you preserve and mount a perfectly good fish instead of eating it? That's what I'm doing. But I'm enjoying my spoils and keeping a memento. :P Every other cigar I smoke gets composted. The bands will either get glued into a cigar dossier/diary or tossed. I'm kind of surprised no one has asked this before. I've gone into tobacco shops and seen preserved cigars mounted into displays in several places.

Cheers. ;)

Keep the bands.

Throw them into a small glass flip-top jar.

When it's full, buy a bigger jar, and start again.

Repeat as necessary.

This is exactly what I do, I love looking all the Bolivar and Cohiba bands, my favorites.

;) Folks. Think of it as taxidermy for cigars. My whole motivation for the post is this. I have about a half dozen Cuban Davidoff's. Once I've smoked them, I'd like to preserve/seal along with the bands and put them in a display case. It may sound crazy to you but to me they are relics I'd like to keep and put in a small display box.Cheers. ;)

Do what you want -- you're a grown man. But I would take note of the reactions here. This is an audience of cigar nuts, and most are a bit taken aback by the notion of preserving cigar butts. Non-cigar folks (i.e., visitors to your home) will almost certainly be freaked out by a display of cigar butts.

To each his own.

;) No need to toss the post Piggy. I started this thread, I'll see it through to the bitter end. Folks. Think of it as taxidermy for cigars. My whole motivation for the post is this. I have about a half dozen Cuban Davidoff's. Once I've smoked them, I'd like to preserve/seal along with the bands and put them in a display case. It may sound crazy to you but to me they are relics I'd like to keep and put in a small display box. Any of you preserve and mount a perfectly good fish instead of eating it? That's what I'm doing. But I'm enjoying my spoils and keeping a memento. :P Every other cigar I smoke gets composted. The bands will either get glued into a cigar dossier/diary or tossed. I'm kind of surprised no one has asked this before. I've gone into tobacco shops and seen preserved cigars mounted into displays in several places.

Cheers. ;)

Hey mate... I am glad that you took this in a good light. I kinda' thought of this as a "Marilyn Monroe" moment....

She is there screaming at the disembodied hand in the punch bowl and needs a good slap in the face before the movie continues and she is saved from the flesh eating zombies!!! I was just providing the slap in the face!!! -LOL

We all roll do a different drummer and I can respect that. Here is one for you to laugh at. I had a little pruned rosemary plant in the shape of a mini Christmas tree. I used to decorate it with cigar band ornaments for Christmas!!! There is one for you to laugh at; one at my expense.

Cheers mate, -Piggy