Preserving smoked cigars?

Hey mate... I am glad that you took this in a good light. I kinda' thought of this as a "Marilyn Monroe" moment....

She is there screaming at the disembodied hand in the punch bowl and needs a good slap in the face before the movie continues and she is saved from the flesh eating zombies!!! I was just providing the slap in the face!!! -LOL

We all roll do a different drummer and I can respect that. Here is one for you to laugh at. I had a little pruned rosemary plant in the shape of a mini Christmas tree. I used to decorate it with cigar band ornaments for Christmas!!! There is one for you to laugh at; one at my expense.

Cheers mate, -Piggy

Hey Piggy. Lots of grains of salt over here. ;) I'm not going to get mad over a few typed words. I know my question is a bit unorthodox but I didn't think it was going to upset the balance that much. For the most part I'd say the posts were 50/50. Half were helpful in that there were good suggestions and the rest were of the WT@?! ;) Discussion is all good and healthy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) No need to toss the post Piggy. I started this thread, I'll see it through to the bitter end. Folks. Think of it as taxidermy for cigars. My whole motivation for the post is this. I have about a half dozen Cuban Davidoff's. Once I've smoked them, I'd like to preserve/seal along with the bands and put them in a display case. It may sound crazy to you but to me they are relics I'd like to keep and put in a small display box. Any of you preserve and mount a perfectly good fish instead of eating it? That's what I'm doing. But I'm enjoying my spoils and keeping a memento. :P Every other cigar I smoke gets composted. The bands will either get glued into a cigar dossier/diary or tossed. I'm kind of surprised no one has asked this before. I've gone into tobacco shops and seen preserved cigars mounted into displays in several places.

Cheers. ;)

I vote for psychiatric assessments to be given from now on as part of the forum's sign-up process.

Just sayin'...

:surprised:

And for what it's worth, any good cigars I have are smoked right down to the hopefully-not-bitter end, so there's nothing really to save. If there's enough to save, if it wasn't smoked all the way to the end, then it wasn't good enough in the first place to merit saving.

Interesting. I think i'd use a epoxy or a clear resin. you would have to make a mold and wait untill it hardened. And you would have to polish it like a stone. I think this is the way to do it if it's a do-it-yourselfer job. Should be easier than using acrylic. (((( Legal disclaimer: If it doesn't work don't blame me I've never done it, but if I did, I'd do it this way))))))))

Give it a shot and let us know

You could just dip them in urethane and it'll make a gloss around them. Hehe, then you could store all these hard glossy cigar butts in a big vase or something. Might actually be kinda cool (although far too time consuming for my tastes).

And with some of the CRAP stogies I had recently, the 'butts' would be about 6" long.

You are kidding right?

Mine are preserved for me. The nice man comes to the curb once a week and places them keenly in a vehicle designed for their entombment with that of the million year life plastic bottles and half eaten Twinkies!!! Why not just save a new Petit Robusto and call it a nub? Okay... I am hung up on refrigerated humidors... and there are likely more than a few other flaws in my personality!!! But saving cigar butts!!! For Christ's sake, what are you thinking???

Mods if I am outta' bounds here just toss the post out and put another black star by my name! -Piggy

Amen.

A photo album seems more appropriate than actually preserving the nubs. I have enough space issues as it is. Adding storing of nubs would entail less space for cigars to be sampled in the future and the risk of becoming the victim of domestic violence :(

A FOH photo gallery dedicated to members that would like to post and share important cigar moments would be a great alternative: "My first cigar" photo gallery , a "graduation cigar" photo gallery, a "wedding cigar" photo gallery, a "my newborn celebration cigar" photo gallery, a "retirement cigar" photo gallery and so on. Maybe not workable, but a better alternative to a private cigar nub mausoleum.

...a better alternative to a private cigar nub mausoleum.

So, is this sort of along those freaky lines of people who have their cat Peaches embalmed/bronzed/cremated/stuffed upon their pet's death, and then keep the remains on their mantle or nightstand as a memento?

Just bustin' your balls, Bund, but...uh...can we get a straight-jacket over here?!?!??!

I started this thread, I'll see it through to the bitter end.

Your question might be unorthodox, but it is in no way, shape, or form out of line and should not be the subject of real ridicule.

Do what you like, and treat the we know what's good for you-ers the same way you would when they tell you how to cut, light,

and smoke your cigars :rolleyes:

Like I said. Many responders had some good suggestions for me and for that I'm grateful. There was some good natured ribbing, which was expected and I'm fine with. I can give as good as I get. I am a bit taken aback at some of the more, shall I say "sanctimonious" responses this thread received. Honestly, this is my little project for a few little cigar nubs and some old and unsmokeable cigars that I'd like to artfully display. That people's sensibilities are riled at the notion surprised me. But I won't let them rent space in my head. Like they say. The empty can rattles the most.

I vote for psychiatric assessments to be given from now on as part of the forum's sign-up process.

Just sayin'...

:rolleyes:

If that were policy from day one, there would be very few members today.

I would not have even attempted to join...

I imagine that marshmallows roasted over that fire could be very interesting and yummy! :rolleyes:

You are right Keith, although we have a different taste over here in Germany ...... no marshmallows today, but a nice barbie of lamb chops and sausages and steaks with a nice & distinct Partagas flavour ...... before Cardhu and Robaina Padrinos.

There is no argument over whatever rocks one's boat - I like to keep pics, bands and maybe signed boxes, the other guy likes to keep butts, well, who am I to disagree.

This is how we disposed of our butts today :

post-4742-1282507465.jpg

Nino

Like I said. Many responders had some good suggestions for me and for that I'm grateful. There was some good natured ribbing, which was expected and I'm fine with. I can give as good as I get. I am a bit taken aback at some of the more, shall I say "sanctimonious" responses this thread received. Honestly, this is my little project for a few little cigar nubs and some old and unsmokeable cigars that I'd like to artfully display. That people's sensibilities are riled at the notion surprised me. But I won't let them rent space in my head. Like they say. The empty can rattles the most.

Well said B. Pure class.

This thread is why I believe FOH is the greatest habano community, cigar community for that matter, out there. Yes, I admit when I first read the thread, I raised an eyebrow. But, the replies in the thread did not eat up B at all. No overt, condescending remarks, etc. Even the jabbing at B is done with taste IMO. This in turn makes us feel comfortable in posting new threads which collectively makes this forum so interesting.

On the other hand, I've witnessed other forums out there whose members would throw f-bombs, snyde and just plain malicious remarks etc. at each other.

Bravo gents! Thanks for making this forum the best there is out there IMO.

Well said B. Pure class.

This thread is why I believe FOH is the greatest habano community, cigar community for that matter, out there. Yes, I admit when I first read the thread, I raised an eyebrow. But, the replies in the thread did not eat up B at all. No overt, condescending remarks, etc. Even the jabbing at B is done with taste IMO. This in turn makes us feel comfortable in posting new threads which collectively makes this forum so interesting.

On the other hand, I've witnessed other forums out there whose members would throw f-bombs, snyde and just plain malicious remarks etc. at each other.

Bravo gents! Thanks for making this forum the best there is out there IMO.

I agree completely. I stopped frequenting a well known publisher's forum for that reason. The amount of immature remarks by people who should know better or at the very least, be old enough to know better soured me on the experience. There's a lot of good posters that taught me a lot over the past three years but after a while, too much garbage went uncollected so I decided to look for greener pastures. And so far, this is the best one yet. Hats off to Rob and Co. Great business, of which I will soon become a customer of (my promise) and a top notch forum.

Cheers to everyone who posted.

:rolleyes:

BW aka Frank

Hi bundwallah,

I DO NOT see anything wrong with wanting to save and keep a cigar butt or

for that matter, anything else. For a cigar lover, I consider it the same as collecting,

La Vista

El Bofeton

La Cubierta

El Tapaclavo

El Filete

El Costero

La Papeleta

El Larguero

And last but not least, La Anilla, ,,,,," n'est-ce pas ??

Some even go as far as keeping the whole darn box :rolleyes:

Here is a drawing from my good friend, Eddie Pons , who is a cartoonist and a lover of Habanos.

He even went as far as making a book with his cigar drawings.

This may even give you an Idea.

As someone said once," Put a little bit of life in your Art and a little bit of Art in your life"

Live your passion my friend :lol:

post-3705-1282509604.jpg

:huh:

Frank, if I might make another suggestion - take some of your ideas, and member suggestions, and try them out on cigars you don't

necessarily want to "embalm". They don't have to be "bad" cigars, just ones you didn't intend to keep. This way you can see what

might work and what might not, before trying on the ones you would like to save.

As to the side notes of this thread, having a little fun at all our expenses is part of being a member here :rolleyes:

Getting personal is not........

Frank, if I might make another suggestion - take some of your ideas, and member suggestions, and try them out on cigars you don't

necessarily want to "embalm".

As to the side notes of this thread, having a little fun at all our expenses is part of being a member here :lol:

Getting personal is not........

Absolutely Colt45. Going to experiment on some throw aways first. :rolleyes:

As for "fun" I hear you 110%. After seeing the great barbs thrown by Rob, Ken and Smithy to each other on the video reviews, how can you not take all that goes on at FOH lightly? Life's too short to be miserable.

Your question might be unorthodox, but it is in no way, shape, or form out of line and should not be the subject of real ridicule.

Do what you like, and treat the we know what's good for you-ers the same way you would when they tell you how to cut, light,

and smoke your cigars :rolleyes:

It's all in good fun, he knows that. I'm sure he's able to cut through the tongue-in-cheek responses, and sees some good ideas out there. I don't think there's been any even close to real ridicule or personal shots. I'm sure Frank would let us know.

Good call, Frank. Besides, you already had my e-mail too - I'm awaiting the computer viruses to be sent anytime in retaliation! :lol::huh:

And I just know you're stocking up for when one of us says something way more goofy than your idea in the first place.

If that were policy from day one, there would be very few members today.

I would not have even attempted to join...

LOL. Same here. "What do you see in this ink blotch?" "Uh, Habanos S.A. releasing Montecristo Opens as an EL!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You are right Keith, although we have a different taste over here in Germany ...... no marshmallows today, but a nice barbie of lamb chops and sausages and steaks with a nice & distinct Partagas flavour ...... before Cardhu and Robaina Padrinos.

There is no argument over whatever rocks one's boat - I like to keep pics, bands and maybe signed boxes, the other guy likes to keep butts, well, who am I to disagree.

This is how we disposed of our butts today :

post-4742-1282507465.jpg

Nino

Awesome. I'm glad you were pointing things out in that picture - I couldn't peel my eyeballs away from the 'chops! I'll send you a pre-paid FedEx box - just ship your leftovers over here! :rolleyes: