ATTN Toronto/Ontario/Canadian FOH Members!

CanuckSARTech and myself have been tossing around the idea that us Toronto/GTA members (and even those from across Ontario and Canada) should meet somewhere for some food, drinks and of course, Habanos!!

Such a motley group should have a name. :D Here's a few Keith and I came up with:

>- FOH Canadian Cigar Contingent

>- FOH Canadian Cigar Club

>- FOH Cigar Clique

>- FOH Canadian RoundUp

>- Or, enter your own goofy idea here: ____________

As for the venue, I know of a few great cigar friendly places in the Yorkville area in Toronto. One is Remy's on 115 Yorkville Avenue:

http://www.dine.to/remys

They have an outstanding patio. Very large. Getting 10 - 20 people or so into one area is not difficult. Drink prices are reasonable. Food is very good, not the best in the area but not disappointing either. And of course, they are cigar friendly.

Next pick is the "Roof Lounge" at the Park Hyatt Hotel:

http://www.parktoronto.hyatt.com/hyatt/hot...unges/index.jsp

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/park-hyatt-toronto-toronto

There's an indoor area and a smaller outdoor area that can accommodate about 20 people. They do not take reservations however and getting a spot after 5:30 PM is nearly impossible though they are very diligent at maintaining the waiting list. Depending on the interest, a smaller group can do well here. A larger response would most likely see us going to Remy's. The view overlooks U of T and Queens Park towards Lake Ontario. This is a nice classy place. Before smoking laws took away personal responsibility from people, smoking was allowed inside as well. Nonetheless, they are cigar friendly on the patio. They even have their own humidor if you're into..."cough cough" $50 Monte 4's.

Thankfully, bringing your own is not a problem. Food wise, they serve tapas and they are great. The food is better here than Remy's. Drinks are a tad more expensive but not completely insane.

There is one more choice but I have not been to it but a lot of people swear by it. And that is the rooftop patio at the Drake Hotel:

http://www.thedrakehotel.ca/dining

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/drake-hotel-toronto-2

They claim to be "smoker friendly" and "climate defiant" which tells me that rain or shine, we can hang out there, not get soaked and enjoy our cigars.

When: We're thinking one of the following Saturdays.

Sat Sept 4 or 25. Or Oct 9 or 16.

So, there's the pitch. What's left? Three simple things.

1.) Indicate if you're interested in attending and which date you can make it.

2.) Pick a favourite name for the gathering from the list above.

3.) Pick the spot you'd most like to go to.

We'll collate the results and advise everyone on date, venue and any other pertinent info. We'll use this thread to post updates.

Cheers, Bundwallah & CanuckSARTech. (aka Frank and Keith).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos for getting something like this going!!

1) Oct 9 or 16 (def can't make the Sept dates :D )

2) FOH Canadian Cigar Club. Or, The Canuck Habanos Brigade

3) Remy's. The venue wouldn't at all affect my decision to attend, but if I had to state one I guess I'll go with Remy's...mostly for the fact I haven't been there and the menu looks good.

I'm Vancouver resident and working in Calgary the rest of the year so can't make it, but I can vouch for the Drake. It's a basic roof patio with a firepit and heaters so warm year round but not protected from the rain..

Food was good and inexpensive, likewise drinks. VERY busy Friday and Saturday, quiet through the week. Hope you guys enjoy your herf wherever you end up!

2) FOH Canadian Cigar Club. Or, The Canuck Habanos Brigade

LOL. I hit the rum hard one night, and those listed names were some I was thinking of. However, I love your suggestion here - "Habanos Brigade". Funny as hell - made me laugh out loud, for whatever reason - made me think of the Royal Canadian Air Farce. Don't know 100% if it's a good idea to have "Canuck" in it - I know it's a generic, tongue-in-cheek term for us Canadians, but since I've got it in my nickname on here, it may be seen as big-headed of me. Well, I do have a big rock of a noggin'... ;)

Yeah, so anyways, Frank and I have been bantering back and forth a bit for the last week or so.

Depending on the numbers, we were thinking that the Park Hyatt may be a bit harder to work around, as it's a smaller space and they don't do reservations for it. But, Remy's we've both been to and liked. And the Drake just sounds/seems interesting.

And the dates into the middle of October could be a little more dependent on weather, and October 9th is Thanksgiving weekend, so that may be a bit more iffy for some members - the 16th then would really potentially come into play with fall weather. I was thinking that the September dates may be best, but it depends on what the group's thoughts are.

Our thought with this was that it would be nice to have some of the Canadian members get together. And, we completely understand how this is looking to be in downtown Toronto - not the greatest place for out-of-towners (of which, I am one) to get to easily. But, we thought this would just be the easiest and simplest to look at for a first-time get together. And, if this goes well, and everyone has a good time, we plan on organizing something bigger for February (for all FOHer's, not just Canadians).

But, that's for then, this is for now.

So, let us know your interest for this social get together. Open to whoever can make the trip.

Cheers.

I love this idea, gents - I only wish I could be in the area around the time you're doing the events. Very Doubtful I can get to Toronto any of the 4 dates unless the Navy sends me to Ottawa for meetings or something. I will be in Hamilton this weekend visiting family, but it is too short to be able to get away to meet some FOH Toronto guys...

And on that note - I don't want to sound off with anti-Toronto stuff, because I love the city and the Jays are my team - but given the vastness of our country and the spread of FOH members throughout the country (I can think of a sizable group out here in Vancouver, a few chaps in Alberta, Montreal contingent led by MontrealRon, and some east-coasters too), coupled with the massive gouging that our airlines put us through anytime we want to fly...anywhere really (if you think Air Canada or Westjet are cheap, I invite you to go to Europe and fly Ryanair or Easyjet....then come back and tell me our arlines are anywhere close to reasonable) - It really is near-impossible for any FOH members west of Ontario or east of Montreal really to be able to make it for such a gathering, unless they are very wealthy, work for the airlines or make it part of a much bigger trip.

Given that high likelihood of not attracting anybody outside of the GTA area, save for some from Quebec perhaps - I suggest finding a more regional-sounding name for the group. To call it FOH Canada kinda makes the rest of us feel useless because we can never attend the gatherings, as much as we'd all like to. FOH Toronto or FOH EastCan maybe?

That said - if you want to make a nationwide FOH Canada group, Toronto is of course the place to meet, given the central location and travel hub status. Just ignore me - I'm a West Coaster and proud of it. Just wish I could make it to this meeting! Next time I'm in Toronto with some time, I'll post for sure to meet some of you guys, and absorb a lot of West coast jokes in the process.

I'm with Chris. Easy solution though - hold the herf in Winnipeg and then we can all be united in our desire to be somewhere else ;)

That's a joke, btw. I'm not a Winnipeg hater before anyone in a denim jacket decides to punch me...

I love this idea, gents - I only wish I could be in the area around the time you're doing the events. Very Doubtful I can get to Toronto any of the 4 dates unless the Navy sends me to Ottawa for meetings or something. I will be in Hamilton this weekend visiting family, but it is too short to be able to get away to meet some FOH Toronto guys...

And on that note - I don't want to sound off with anti-Toronto stuff, because I love the city and the Jays are my team - but given the vastness of our country and the spread of FOH members throughout the country (I can think of a sizable group out here in Vancouver, a few chaps in Alberta, Montreal contingent led by MontrealRon, and some east-coasters too), coupled with the massive gouging that our airlines put us through anytime we want to fly...anywhere really (if you think Air Canada or Westjet are cheap, I invite you to go to Europe and fly Ryanair or Easyjet....then come back and tell me our arlines are anywhere close to reasonable) - It really is near-impossible for any FOH members west of Ontario or east of Montreal really to be able to make it for such a gathering, unless they are very wealthy, work for the airlines or make it part of a much bigger trip.

Given that high likelihood of not attracting anybody outside of the GTA area, save for some from Quebec perhaps - I suggest finding a more regional-sounding name for the group. To call it FOH Canada kinda makes the rest of us feel useless because we can never attend the gatherings, as much as we'd all like to. FOH Toronto or FOH EastCan maybe?

That said - if you want to make a nationwide FOH Canada group, Toronto is of course the place to meet, given the central location and travel hub status. Just ignore me - I'm a West Coaster and proud of it. Just wish I could make it to this meeting! Next time I'm in Toronto with some time, I'll post for sure to meet some of you guys, and absorb a lot of West coast jokes in the process.

Very valid points, Schmerr.

Yes, we completely understand the geographic/logistics issue of a meet. And, while it is likely to mostly be Ontario-Quebec members who are able to come to this one, the thought was was that it would be very Ontario-centrist and arrogant to not have Canadian connotations to it with an open name. All are welcome, don't feel left out (even any travelling American cousins). And while I would have a 3-hour drive to this, we understand that others would have far more - that's why we opened the dates up to all, to see if it would indeed work with the travel plans of others.

Everything so far is in the recommendation stage. Do we really need to have a goofy name? Hell no. We are just fellow FOH'ers who are looking to get together. It was just a funny thought - the name thing is not a central idea here, it's not that big of a deal. It's more about meeting together in person, and sharing some drinks and Habanos'.

Also, for a winter get-together, we were looking at potentially February, and we were looking at the national capitol / Quebec area for that one, and it definitely would be a destination trip, a "much bigger trip" as you put it. More to follow eventually on that.

I'm with Chris. Easy solution though - hold the herf in Winnipeg and then we can all be united in our desire to be somewhere else :lol:

That's a joke, btw. I'm not a Winnipeg hater before anyone in a denim jacket decides to punch me...

LOL. Oh, here we go. Well, at least it started with Winnipeg, and not Newfoundland or Quebec. :P:lmao:;)

LOL. Oh, here we go. Well, at least it started with Winnipeg, and not Newfoundland or Quebec. :P;):blink:

I was born in Winnipeg! :rotfl: Don't tell anyone though - I left when I was one year old!

And anyone who has been to George Street in St. John's NFLD, or Montreal/Quebec City in general will agree there are far worse places to plan a gathering haha! :(

Not to worry guys, wasn't trying to rain on your parade. I'm happy to see the FOH membership in Canada growing at the rate that it is, we should be planning herfs to celebrate our appreciation of habanos!

I'm with Chris. Easy solution though - hold the herf in Winnipeg and then we can all be united in our desire to be somewhere else :rotfl:

Hey, thats what I was thinking! (sez the guy from the Peg)

I'm going to be in the T.O for a night later in September but I don't think the dates jive at all. Great idea though.

Hi Guys,

Now's as good a time to introduce myself as any. I've been lurking here ever since I found this board a couple months ago. I've been into Cuban cigars for a few years now. I'm still trying new things but I've had the good fortune to have had the following:

Montecristo: Tubos, No. 2, 4, 5, Edmundo, Petit Edmundos

Cohiba: Robusto, Siglio I and II

Romeo y Julieta: No. 2, Petit Coronas, Short Churchill, Churchill

Partagas: SD4, Shorts

H Upmann: Magnum 46

Hoyo De Monterrey: Epicure No. 2, Petit Robusto

Bolivar: Royal Corona

Ramone Allones: RASS

A herf in Toronto sounds really cool to me since I live in the suburbs of the big city. B)

Gentlemen, I have been smoking cuban cigars for around two years and have been lurking on the website for a couple of months just to get the lay of the land as well as enjoying the video cigar reviews. I work in the Toronto Downtown core (really enjoyed the G20 Summit) and would be very interested in attending the party. I can make any of the dates mentioned.

Regards

CDNeh, Stephen

Gentlemen, I have been smoking cuban cigars for around two years and have been lurking on the website for a couple of months just to get the lay of the land as well as enjoying the video cigar reviews. I work in the Toronto Downtown core (really enjoyed the G20 Summit) and would be very interested in attending the party. I can make any of the dates mentioned.

Regards

CDNeh, Stephen

Cheers and welcome. Post a thread in the Newbie Introductions area, and get to know some of us. Look forward to maybe reading some reviews from you then.

Any others out there? Thoughts on dates?

This sounds great! Count me in.

I would prefer if it was on a Friday after work(start the weekend on good note), but should be able to make the October dates.

I don't mind what you call it, but what do you guys think of of FOHTO?

Lastly, I'm good with Remy's. Out of all the ones mentioned it's the only one I've been to (and it's been a few years).

Cheers,

Steve

Greetings all.

Thanks for all the responses. So far, this is how things are looking.

Total attendees 5 (including Canuck & myself)

October dates are the most popular.

Remy's is the leading venue.

I say let's take the votes right up to the end of September as it seems October dates are the most likely/popular. Even if this tops out at five, it's definitely worth doing.

C'mon Toronto/GTA and surrounding areas. Still plenty of time to decide. Clear your calendars, cross your fingers for good weather, pack your favourite stogies and accessories and come out for a good time.

Cheers.

Frank :devil2:

i'll be down for this. I'm just up at spadina and bremnar. Let me know the dates...

Greetings all.

Thanks for all the responses. So far, this is how things are looking.

Total attendees 5 (including Canuck & myself)

October dates are the most popular.

Remy's is the leading venue.

I say let's take the votes right up to the end of September as it seems October dates are the most likely/popular. Even if this tops out at five, it's definitely worth doing.

C'mon Toronto/GTA and surrounding areas. Still plenty of time to decide. Clear your calendars, cross your fingers for good weather, pack your favourite stogies and accessories and come out for a good time.

Cheers.

Frank :D