ATTN Toronto/Ontario/Canadian FOH Members!

wondering - do people usually bring a few extra cigars for sharing/trading to these kinda meetups? any interest? just thinking out loud...

Good question tdlfoto.

I know I'm going to have a handful of cigars for the evening. In order to do trades fairly and efficiently we'd have to provide our inventories and agree to a set price list, such as the LCDH's. I think there might be some concerns over giving or receiving fakes unknowingly.

If you're interesting in trying something in particular, post your list and what you have to offer in trade. I'm sure someone here will take you up on it. As long as no one is offering up a Guantamera for a Cohiba Siglio VI I'm sure it will be fine. :rolleyes:

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE #2: TIME CHANGE to 6:30PM!!

I just called the Drake to book a table for 12 people on the patio which is the good news. The bad news is that they don't open it until 6PM!! :rolleyes:

My apologies gents. When I called yesterday, I was told that it was open all day, everyday.

My recommendation? Call them back, and politely ask to speak to a manager regarding a group reservation. Once you have the manager, tell them that you were previously told that they were open on the patio all day every day. And/or, if that's not the norm, politely ask the manager if they'd be willing to open it a bit earlier for us that day - explain that we have a decent sized group, and were looking forward to starting at 3pm. And if they say no, then politely let them know it's a shame that they won't be allowing us to use those facilities for 3 hours, and thereby spending money and eating and drinking for those 3 hours.

I can't imagine a manager walking away from a small private group allowance of a few extra hours, as they'd be making money on the thing.

The LCDH is a nice backup plan, but I was already planning on going there around noon or so. I was hoping to start at the Drake at 3pm.

For now, let's stick with the Drake from 6PM onward. However....if anyone wants to hit the Park Hyatt from 3PM onwards I'm game. :hungry:

I'd be happy to meet you at 3, anyone else interested?

Good question tdlfoto.

I know I'm going to have a handful of cigars for the evening. In order to do trades fairly and efficiently we'd have to provide our inventories and agree to a set price list, such as the LCDH's. I think there might be some concerns over giving or receiving fakes unknowingly.

If you're interesting in trying something in particular, post your list and what you have to offer in trade. I'm sure someone here will take you up on it. As long as no one is offering up a Guantamera for a Cohiba Siglio VI I'm sure it will be fine. :thumbsup:

What does everyone else think?

In previous herfs I've attended we've done some kind of themed pass around. Basically we all brought either cigars of the same vitola or in the same price range, then we pass the cigar to the person next to us.

UPDATE #2112 WE CAN MEET AT THE DRAKE FOR 3PM

I spoke to them again. While the upper patio doesn't open until 6PM, the side patio, which I'm assured is large, is open from 8AM to 11PM and cigar smoking is cool. We can hang there and then move up to the Sky patio around dinnertime.

To keep things simple, let's meet at the Drake for 3PM on the side patio.

Hopefully this will be the last of the updates. :tantrum:

Cheers.

Yup. Weather is expected to be 11C and cloudy. Not the greatest, but not the worst either.

3PM at the Drake, cafe' patio. At 6PM we'll move up to the rooftop. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Frank

Two questions for those of you living directly in Toronto...

Firstly, are there any traffic issues of note for next Saturday? 'Cause I just heard on CBC news today that there were various closures of streets in downtown T.O. today for events, so I wasn't sure if there was similar stuff planned for next weekend. I want to make sure my butt is there for 3pm sharp.

Thanks.

Just heard from the news, avoid using the Gardiner tmr

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/road_info/index.htm

I'm wondering how many cigars I should be bringing with me if I show up at 3 pm? How many am I going to smoke and how many will I be passing around?

As much as you can safely carry I guess. Which depends on what you've got in terms of travel cases/humi's etc.

As we're starting at 3PM I'm going to pace myself. One hour with cigar, one hour off. So maybe, 5-6 cigars of varying size with an extra for passing around. I've never done more than 2 cigars in one night. But we're looking at spending about 6-9 hours at the place. There is time to break that limit. At least for me. :2thumbs:

Make sure you've got your cutters, lighters and matches for backup. Butane lighters tend to get finicky in the cold.

This may be a silly question but since I've never been to the Drake... is there a dress code there? Are they going to allow me in there if I wear jeans?

I believe jeans are OK. Some of my friends have gone there before. I think as long as they're not the ripped and torn kind it should be fine. I'm wearing dark jeans myself. Its a bit of a "hipster" place. You'll see more casually dressed guys. The women I hear get all dolled up.

See you all there. I might send one last private message to all tomorrow morning should anything change, so make sure to check your email before 10AM EST.

Cheers,

Frank ;)

Great work, Frank. T-minus 16 hours and counting....

Thanks I can't wait.

I'm packing up the travel humidor with goodies. So far I've packed a Genios, a Duke a Mag 50 and a PSD4. Decisions decisions. ;)

I'm going to bring my indian jones "satchel". Might have to bring my camera if tdlfoto can't make it. We'll need photos of this prestigious event.

Here's the run down of attendees one last time. I hope to see you all there. Remember. 3PM on the "cafe' patio" and then 6PM we head upstairs. For 6:30PM we have our dinner reservations.

Since we've all never met before. Here's a visual tip for spotting me. I'm about 6.2 and will be wearing a black leather jacket with two stripes on each arm as well as a black fedora hat.

Member Attending Where X = attending.

tdlfoto Tentative

lonsdaleto X

cdneh X

gk404 X

Eric C X

maverickdrinker Tentative

SensFaninTO X

Nacho X

ebhead X

CanuckSARTech X

bundwallah X