Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdale LOB NOV 03

PigFish

Ray, great review and pics. Looks like you had some great quality time with your RG. Prios for posting your draw technique as well. I'm sure you've piqued some interest in your dot-dash technique as well. I for one will experiment with it. I'm sure I've done it in the past, but not in a conscious manner.

• Like 1

Amazing review, thanks very much. I bet these would be outstanding cigars if available in a current vintage. I haven't smoked many cigars from the "lost years", but I think my favorite kind of draw is when it feels like the cigar is plugged and you end up with a mouthful of smoke.

• Like 1

This was a hell of a review, Ray - makes us look like rank amateurs!

I love the RG Lonsdales - couldn't be happier to have snagged a box of 01's in Spain. Some of them feel a little tight, but so far they are smoking like cocoa/gingerbread, and the woodsy spice I love from RG's.....These are smokes that I will truly miss when they are gone!

• Like 2

Great review!

My box of RG Lonsdales is OCT 01 and they are excellent. They're also all tight. I go at them with pokers of some kind my wife used to use on a turkey. In fact I look forward to all sorts of preliminaries with these because besides working on the draw I have to sniff the box a little. It has an incredibly distinctive aroma, actually like perfume. Then I have to re-read the antiquated printed message asking you to smoke them right away or let them rest for a year. It's a fun sidelight that the packaging of Habanos never seems to change much. If someone handed me this box and told me it was from 40 years ago I could believe it. The problem is when it comes to the biggest change of all -- deleting a great cigar.

• Like 1

Thanks for this great review. I adore the format of this cigar, looks just perfect even with those minor beauty flaws. I also like the pictures pretty much, good camera work and I am drawn to those closeup shots. Those are the ones I tend to like most when taking pictures of my boxes. Seems to me that cigars a just made for those kind of pictures.

Reading your description I would very much like to try one of those. Seems to be a pity that they aren't available any more.

Interesting to read about your drawing technique. I am actually often drawing on my cigars like that unconsciously. Seems the best way to get just the right amount of smoke into my mouth.

Thanks again for sharing.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hey Piggy! Haven't seen a review of yours in ages. Miss your style.

Wholeheartedly agree with the dot-dash draw approach, pretty much how I go about it as well in most cases.

Let's have some encores!

Nice review Ray. I use the exact same puff technique (except for small panatelas, etc.). I know some guys like to write lengthy reviews, but I find that it distracts from the smoking experience for me. Sometimes I feel motivated; but I'll just write based on mental notes taken. I can't stand having to write or take notes while smoking a good cigar. After getting older (not old) and having experienced medical issues... I tend to concentrate on living in the present (not too much in the past or present). Although, it's human nature to wander outside of the present moment... and necessary in some aspects of life.

Unfortunately, I lacked the funds and foresight to load up on some cervantes/lonsdales/dalias. I'm down to just partial cabs of Partagas Lonsdales/898's, SLR Lonsdales, and Hoyo des D.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ray... a little off-topic, but I was always told that Zippos and cigars were not a good combination. Either you don’t believe in this theory or you’re a rebel :o

Either way, I’d be interested to know what’s your take on this.

thanks - and great review by the way!

On 11/8/2017 at 5:43 PM, treberty said:

Hi Ray... a little off-topic, but I was always told that Zippos and cigars were not a good combination. Either you don’t believe in this theory or you’re a rebel :o

Either way, I’d be interested to know what’s your take on this.

thanks - and great review by the way!

Zippo has got a jet insert. I can taste 'diesel powered' lighters and won't use one.

I love Zippos. I also love the torch type lighter. I combine the two and get everything I want when not using a Dupont.

Cheers! -R