Growing your collection

Good afternoon!

I still consider myself a newbie, still trying to learn as much as I can. I'm at a point where I have given up on my desktops and now have enough space to age a good sized collection.

I've purchased many HQ boxes and I've been amazed with each one. In the beginning when my collection was small I would smoke my way through an HQ box and as I made my way through the box (3 to 12 months) the smokes would be better and better. Obviously the more rest in my humi the better they would be. I think back to some amazing boxes and wish I had some restraint to see how they would have evolved, but no regrets as life is short and if they are smoking great might as well enjoy them.

I'm curious how members treat HQ or PSP boxes, do most purchase them with the idea to lay them down or are we smoking them now? I'm guessing part of the criteria for picking HQ or PSP is their potential for long term aging?

Also, not limiting my question to HQs, I have some great PE boxes that I've laid down as I think they also have great potential.

Do you let the current year production dictate what is for aging that particular year? Do you search for the best of marcas that you enjoy each year and lay them down? Do you have certain cigars that you make sure you have a large supply of for multi year aging?

It would be interesting for me to hear your thought process for building your collection.

Cheers mates!

E

Some good questions that cover a number of angles. My in a nutshell, probably not very helpful take - my goal is to age cigars only as long as it

takes for them to reach their peak of flavor - give or take. Obviously it takes some smoking and experience to help make these determinations.

I don't consider myself a collector, and don't view my cigars as a collection - they are for my enjoyment. In that light, I think that semi consciously

I've been trying to distill the cigars I do acquire to the ones I consistently enjoy, and have tried to shed the esoteric aspects that for me, can take

away from the simple pleasure of enjoying a cigar. That does not mean I'm not interested in trying new things.

Some cigars will benefit from longer aging than others. Some will never get any better no matter how long they sit. There aren't really any hard and

fast rules, and personal preference also plays a large part. We're also starting to delve into consistency or lack thereof.......

Regarding the quality levels offered by our hosts, I've always tried to utilize their expertise when choosing cigars and will continue to do so.

I don't view the differences between PSP, HQ, and PE as chasms.

Nope. Merely adhere to the 2 box rule. Buy two. Sample from one over time and keep the other intact. If you are happy with them then either repeat or purchase another depending on budget. :D

+1

Being of a more modest means,I buy a box,smoke em,and keep 3 or 4 for a long period.

Some cigars,ie Bolivar bf and Juan Lopez no 1,have proven to be virtually unsmokeable young,but have been excellent after a year,so these demand to be laid down.

I suppose it depends on budget and philosophy,ie smoke em or collect em.

I suppose it depends on budget and philosophy,ie smoke em or collect em.

Or do both !LOL!

I smoke PE or damaged stock on a daily basis (cracked feet etc). I tend to put cracker PSP and HQ boxes away and occasionally dip into them.

Like Colt, I like to sample to find when they are at a level that meets my expectation. If I am enjoying them immensely I will go through a box pretty quickly.

I have the philosophy "if you got them, smoke them". I have gone through a boat load of cigars, I always smoke one right away when the box arrives. The flavor is sometimes more intense. The flavor is usually a little bit to a lot bit off. I don't have the patience to wait. Hopefully someday i will have some restraint.