What was your earliest cigar memory?

For me It was mid 1960s when my mother and I(5 or 6 years old) walked into my great Aunt and Uncles house and the aroma of cigar was everywhere. My great uncle was an attorney and loved smoking cigars in the house! can you imagine that now. My wife is the coolest but would never go for that. But this was the June Cleaver days and the wives just dealt with it no questions asked. I remember walking into his office, there he was...This big intimidating hulk of a man dressed in a suit and tie(as they did in those days) sitting behind his big desk(He looked like the banker guy from It's a wonderful Life) with what I can only assume was a churchill of some type, blowing billows of luxurious smelling smoke all over the house!! The aroma was intoxicating even for a 5 or 6 year old and I'll never forget it.

For me it was kind of the the same ..My moms dad I was the same age,Behind he big desk huge puffy clouds of smoke.. and in the garage seperate from the house stacked next to the newspapers old cigar boxes filled with treasures like old lighters

My dad had a small cigar box. I only ever remember him smoking one or maybe two ever. That didn't matter because I was loving sneaking in to the 'good' room opening the box and smelling the few cigars sitting there. I guess I was about 6 years old. I think I can still remember that smell.

Now I have 2 sons. One doesn't seem interested but the other likes to be with me in the shed or inside when I am smoking. He's 12 now and I caught him opening my fridgador and taking a big sniff. And so it goes....

• 4 weeks later...

How many remember using an old cigar box for your pencils and stuff back in elementary school? I used to open that box to get a pencil and be distracted by the wonderful aroma eminating from within. Hmm.....maybe thats why Ihad so much trouble in school!

How many remember using an old cigar box for your pencils and stuff back in elementary school? I used to open that box to get a pencil and be distracted by the wonderful aroma eminating from within. Hmm.....maybe thats why Ihad so much trouble in school!

Me! Growing up, my mother, brother, and I lived in Virginia, but my father worked in Florida. He had a small apartment there, and would commute back and forth every other week or so. During the Summer we would all travel to Florida, and spend a few months there. I have very fond memories of sitting out on the balcony with my dad, as a young boy, watching the daily afternoon thunderstorms roll through while he puffed away on a cigar (he smoked Fuente Hemingways and Don Carlos cigars, if my memory is correct).

I remember going to my mother's parents home regularly as a little kid, and all of the toys there were stored in cigar boxes. My Grandfather didn't smoke as an older man, but apparently was quite the party guy in his youth. Some of those boxes were ancient, and would be quite awesome to have today. I still have a few empty boxes from the 1970s, up in the attic, full of little toys that once were at my grandparent's home. I also kept stuff in cigar boxes, from my own father, as a kid. My gameboy, baseball cards, pens and pencils, all sorts of things a kid would have in his bedroom. All in cigar boxes.

I also have fond memories of sneaking a sniff from my Dad's humidor. That very same humidor is now mine, since he never really smokes these days, and has only a small desktop where he keeps a few smokes to enjoy once in a blue moon.

Mine was Christmas 09.

This was the year that i spent 6 months labouring at the same abotuir that my father worked in for 10 years to support our family. During my brief period of employment their before moving on to my second ever job (and the job i love) as a sales consultant i gained a newfound respect for what my father does to support us. Man oh man were those early mornings followed by repeating the same menial task for 10 hours hard.

Remembering the stories my grandfather would tell me about his Cigars and my father as a young lad always pestering him for one I thought i would go all out and get my father something special, something that he could look forward to after the long day and and also something i could share with him since my father and i have never really spend any time quality time together so i bought him a R&J Ash Tray, Regal Cigar Lighter and a gorgeous little desktop humidor and filled it with.

1 X R&J Churchill

1 x Montecristo Tubos

2 X Montecriso No 2

2 x Bolivar RC

1 x Bolivar Petite Corona

1 X Punch Tubos (no idea what type)

Long story Short my visions of sharing a great Cigar with my father Christmas was shot down with his reaction to my gift Being

"oh wow thanks, I tuck this away in my room for special occasions"

"how about we light one up now dad? Nice day outside and Mum and Brother are Busying them selves preparing lunch"

"nah...Not in the Mood mate"

As of typing this the Humidor with the Cigars (minus a Bolivar RC and Both Monte no 2s that i took during the year) is sitting in a draw covered in old socks and undies.

So year First memory is not a very good one and a very expensive one as well haha.

Mine was Christmas 09.

This was the year that i spent 6 months labouring at the same abotuir that my father worked in for 10 years to support our family. During my brief period of employment their before moving on to my second ever job (and the job i love) as a sales consultant i gained a newfound respect for what my father does to support us. Man oh man were those early mornings followed by repeating the same menial task for 10 hours hard.

Remembering the stories my grandfather would tell me about his Cigars and my father as a young lad always pestering him for one I thought i would go all out and get my father something special, something that he could look forward to after the long day and and also something i could share with him since my father and i have never really spend any time quality time together so i bought him a R&J Ash Tray, Regal Cigar Lighter and a gorgeous little desktop humidor and filled it with.

1 X R&J Churchill

1 x Montecristo Tubos

2 X Montecriso No 2

2 x Bolivar RC

1 x Bolivar Petite Corona

1 X Punch Tubos (no idea what type)

Long story Short my visions of sharing a great Cigar with my father Christmas was shot down with his reaction to my gift Being

"oh wow thanks, I tuck this away in my room for special occasions"

"how about we light one up now dad? Nice day outside and Mum and Brother are Busying them selves preparing lunch"

"nah...Not in the Mood mate"

As of typing this the Humidor with the Cigars (minus a Bolivar RC and Both Monte no 2s that i took during the year) is sitting in a draw covered in old socks and undies.

So year First memory is not a very good one and a very expensive one as well haha.

[/quot

Mr. Bagel,

Feel for your disappointment. I for one would be a very happy man if I were to sit and smoke a cigar with my son and my daughter's husbands. Will be a while since my son is 17 and daughters are 9, 7, and 4. Maybe your pops will come around to it next year.

• 4 weeks later...

when i was younger, i was in the car with my parents and we drove into a parking lot where someone was smoking a cigar. couldn't see who it was but we could smell it . my mother started complaining about the smell, and i remember looking at her like she was crazy.

from that day onward i've loved the aroma of cigars.

i think that was the first time i ever smelled cigar smoke. :cigar:

It happened in the middle of the 70's when I was visiting my mom's workplace in Helsinki. I was a little boy, not even in the school yet. I hated cigarette smoke and everybody used to smoke those days, or that's what I felt like. I wandered along the corridors of a very beautiful and historical old building and watched people working. There was cigarette smoke floating in the air everywhere or so I thought. Suddenly something hit my nose. I didn't know what was it and tried to follow the smell. I was pretty sure that it came from a specific room which had its door half closed. I was a little scared of what might happen if I just poked in, but I did. "Who is this young man there and what are you looking for?" asked the director. "Why did you come in, you shouldn't do that!" - "It's a really nice scent here, what is it?" I asked. The director with a cigar in his hand looked confused because of my straight behaviour. "Well umm..., what do you mean?" he asked. "Where is this really nice scent coming from?" I repeated. "Do you mean the smell of the cigar?" - "Yes, I do, if it's the source. Is it?" The director started to smile and asked if I really liked the smell of the cigar. "What do you smell in it?" - "Plum" I answered. He started to laugh and said that I sure do know when there is good tobacco around. "You are going to like tobacco when you are a grown-up" he said. I watched his cigars and sniffed the air. I did really like it. The director said that he should save a box for me and give me a present when I was old enough to have it. "Now you have to leave the room, because I have a lot of work to do. You can come to see me some other day, if you want." - I sadly left the room sniffing the wonderful aroma of his cigar.

Some time after this episode my mom braught me an empty box of Partagas Charlottes to play with. I still have it somewhere, but I never received any cigars.

I'd say it was probably around 1984 when I started my current job. I was a young punk working with a bunch of seasoned, veteran meat sales guys that would smoke just about everything in the office; cigarettes, pipes and cigars. My then boss/girl friend's father was the cigar smoker. He used to chomp down on the ends, which still disgusts me, but there was just something about the allure of those cigars, something cool. It was about 10 years later before I got into them, but I think that first exposure is what sealed my interest.

1988 I smoked a NC cigar. I forgot the name of it. But the most memorable was and affordable for me was the Fonseca Cosacos which was a good starter cigar for me.....The rest is history. I've always enjoyed niche brands

This post started out kind of slow but now the responses are picking up....interesting.

I always thought this would be a great topic because I believe everyone (who loves cigars) has had at least one special moment in their lives where there was some defining moment (when they were young) related to a cigar that they will never forget.

Would love to hear more stories!

This post started out kind of slow but now the responses are picking up....interesting.

I always thought this would be a great topic because I believe everyone (who loves cigars) has had at least one special moment in their lives where there was some defining moment (when they were young) related to a cigar that they will never forget.

Would love to hear more stories!

Okay, cyclebutt77, since you asked...My first memory was probably around 1970. I was 12, and my father had taken my little brother and me on a "boys trip" down to SW Florida. While in Tampa. we visited an old divorced friend of his who lived in a huge high-rise condo on the bay. His friend was a great guy, a little rough around the edges in a bachelor kind of way, and he smoked cigars like a fiend. The whole condo smelled of old cigar smoke. It was a powerful odor..a little offensive, really. But I liked it. It is a powerful memory.

• 4 months later...

I did some housecleaning and found the box I mentioned earlier in this topic. The box has seen it's best days, but it has definitely seen a lot.

It's funny that the wrapper colour was stamped to the bottom back then.

I would like to have a full box of Charlottes, but I quess they've gone forever. If you happen to know where to get one, please PM me. That would make me very happy!

post-7691-1307479724.jpg

post-7691-1307479742.jpg

My earliest cigar memories were my Mother giving my Grandfather trouble for smoking cigars in the boat when he was fishing with me. Every year my Grandfather takes the family on a fishing trip in Buckhorn Ontario and as far back as I can remember he would always smoke cigars in the boat and when I asked him why he said it would keep the mosquitos and black flies away from me. My Mom would always yell at him when she would find out but I laugh now looking back on it. Now being older it's a great feeling when I can hand my Grampie a smoke in the boat and enjoy the day fishing with him.

[Great stories one and all!

My earliest was with my dad when I turned 18. We have shared many since but he has given up these days as he wants to get an extra year in :D

I don't think I will live until I am 78 (my dads age). What I do know is my kids will have so many great "Dad Cigar stories" :buddies:

My eldest has turned 17 and he shows no interest in cigars. I do like calling out to him when I am on the deck at home with friends having a dinner party.

"Ben...a couple of Cohiba mate when you can"

Him..."Robusto or Lancero?"

Priceless :D

When I was a boy, probably 5, I remember my dad and his Garcia Vega Tubos. A cheap cigar with a tan plastic tube with a Montecristo like band. I loved the way they smelled, sweet with wood, and he would always have a few around when camping.

Today he still refuses to buy anything that isn't in a tube, so this weekend I am bringing him a BRC Tubo to try when we go camping :D