Haida Gwaii - Salmon Paradise!

Montaigut

For all of you avid salmon fans out there this is probably one of the very best spots on earth. You will find them all: chinook, coho, pink, sockeye and chum.

My son and I are regular visitors. Here are a few pics of our latest trip.

First day; off bright and early.

First catch: David's spring, 18 lb.

Fishing, cigars and nothing else in the world that matters. Talk about disconnecting...

First day catch in...

David enjoying a nice smoke.

A regular visitor, along with whales and orca.

Can't wait to get back!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Great photos, and it is a great area with some excellent fishing, also there can be some big Halibut taken up the BC coast as well as in Alaska.

Indeed you are correct. I have been going up to Haida Gwaii (formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands) for 4 years now. Amazing plance amazing fishing. Here is one I caught last year.

post-7608-1294947895.jpg

i see one rod and reel combo. was that typical of the gear?

Gear is a good long salmon rod with Islander mooching reel (which are things of beauty http://www.islander.com/main.php) spooled up with 20 - 25 lb test depending upon your preferance. Fished using either weighted line or from a downrigger. We usually had one or two on the rigger and one or two weighted lines on the larger boats and on smaller boats one rigger and two weighted lines. Mostly going for Springs (chinook Salmon) and coho but you get all types up there including some nice halibut I got a nice one a couple of years ago and here is the pic. Along with a few more from the area.

halibut.bmp

Would be very cool to get a group of FOH members out there on a trip sometime.

Here are some more pics that I tried to post earlier but for some reason did not go through.