Looking to buy a DSLR

Gulp the 60D is more than RM4k in my currency, just for the body. /swoon

I found the 500D for RM2.3k (US$720), the price of a couple good boxes of cigars. Just nice.

Still mulling it over.

Aiz, if you can, head over to S'pore and check out DD Electronics http://www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/categori...on-Digital-SLR/

Last year when I was over there, the cameras where cheaper than buying in M'sia.

Oh and GO CANON!!!

Bought the 500D today, $720. Thanks everyone for the great advice, now i've got to find a good lense to replace the kit lense. I figure as advised here by some, spend cheaply on the body, and save the money for a great lense.

Something good for general purpoase snapping, with good macro capabilities.

OK, my advice comes in too late...

I would have suggested you to register yourself on a photography forum, somewhere in your neighbourhood.

And check out their secondhand section. You can find some nice cameras with some 1.000's of clicks on it, for a nice price. Just because these freaks always wants the best and the latest versions, as with all passions...

I found a nice body (I mean, camera !! :lol: ) this way, including some glass, for the price I would have paid for a new (basic) version.

If your seriously into your photography than go for the Nikon D700 full frame. Best DSLR I have ever owned and its performance in low light is second to none. If your just getting into it as a hobby than it might be overkill, but on the plus side you can start buying FX lens straight away without worrying about what to do with your DX lens'.

Bought the 500D today, $720. Thanks everyone for the great advice, now i've got to find a good lense to replace the kit lense. I figure as advised here by some, spend cheaply on the body, and save the money for a great lense.

Something good for general purpoase snapping, with good macro capabilities.

Canon's EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens is a good general purpose lens. Though not classed as an L series, it has similar features and build quality. It is an improvement over the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens that I got with my 40D. Both are great GP lenses, and each have their own advantages/disadvantages.

Oh and remember, if you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame Canon, EF-S lenses won't fit (though EF lenses will fit on lower models).

Canon's EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens is a good general purpose lens. Though not classed as an L series, it has similar features and build quality. It is an improvement over the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens that I got with my 40D. Both are great GP lenses, and each have their own advantages/disadvantages.

Oh and remember, if you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame Canon, EF-S lenses won't fit (though EF lenses will fit on lower models).

Yeah, the fact that the lenses are not completely compatible with each body is a mild irritant.

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely check those lenses out.

Yeah, the fact that the lenses are not completely compatible with each body is a mild irritant.

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely check those lenses out.

As UBC suggested, the 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM is probably the best GP lens Canon makes, but is double the price of the 17-85mm (it is afterall an L series). Then again, you'll never need to buy another GP lens and it is compatible with the full frame 5D and 1D.