FINALLY! Some great Christmas news....

Well Done, man- Glad to have you soon-to-be in the Forces! Enjoy the training - if something seems like ass while you're doing it, it will only make for better stories when you look back on it later!

Do yourself a favour though - when you have time off while in training in Borden....get yourself at least out to Barrie, if not farther. Borden/Angus can be incredibly depressing/boring if you spend too long there....too long being any longer than absolutely necessary haha!

Congrats dude, great news to hear! :)

Congratulations Keith!! :clap:

What a great time of year to find out too!

I'm happy to hear that you're hard work and perseverance paid off. You'd be a credit to any police force out there. Now...as this is big news...feel free to write a few paragraphs about it and not be so brief! :P

What's the celebratory smoke going to be? Our weather sucks and unless you get the OK to smoke indoors it's gonna be a while. Unless...we ramp up plans to hit Gatineau. :innocent:

Once again congratulations dude.

Frank

LOL. Thanks for all the best wishes and congrats, all. Cigcars, NDToronto, Chance - some great advice, thanks.

I'm lucky in that I'm not going into this completely blind. I've been working towards this for a bit, and I'm fortunate to have the mentorship that I've had so far. I work on SAR with lots of CF guys, and our SAR work (as well as my previous security work) has been in tight conjunction with various police services around here. I've had a lot of good exposure to date. Lots of ride-alongs, lots of joint training, lots of special-invite training, the whole works.

LOL. And CDNeh and Bundwallah both hit on a good point - I haven't named a celebratory cigar. GASP!!!

Honestly, I've been on Cloud Nine so much these last few days, and especially with the run-up to Christmas, that I just haven't had time to contemplate that. It was actually something that I was thinking about earlier today, being that I now have a number of days off. I was thinking about it today, and I know for sure that it'll likely be a smoke while I'm sitting in my neighbour's hottub with my Mrs. during tomorrow evening (Christmas Eve), and with a nice helping of a brand new bottle of Ron Zacapa Centario 23 that I picked up from the States a couple of weeks ago.

For the cigar, I've been tossing and turning. Maybe a Montecristo EL Sublime. Or a CoRo or Trini Robusto T. Or maybe a LGC SdC No. 2 (new HQ box that I just got in a bit ago). Or maybe a Trini EL Ingenios. Or a nice, aged R&J Churchill.

Decisions, decisions.....

Hey Nut! Been meaning to wish you congratulations on your new path. I gotta' ask though. Can you post up a Canadian get outta' jail free coupon or something for your brothers? :)

Best wishes mate, stay outta' the line of fire okay! -Ray

Hey Nut! Been meaning to wish you congratulations on your new path. I gotta' ask though. Can you post up a Canadian get outta' jail free coupon or something for your brothers? :o

Best wishes mate, stay outta' the line of fire okay! -Ray

Piggy, dude, sorry, but I just don't think you have enough cigars for me to get you one of those. That, my crazy cochino, is toooooo pricey of a card for you to cash in!!! :lol:

That said, I may try my best to keep you in longer if ever the opportunity presents itself! ;):huh::D

Thanks again, everyone, for the best wishes. Very much appreciated!

• 3 months later...

So, an update here.

Back on my birthday, March 31st, I got a phone call from the CF recruiting center. Things are FINALLY set to roll. I was told that "something is potentially coming down the pipeline", and they needed to get my interview and medical all updated. So, last week, interview updated and items discussed. This past week, updated the medical and whatnot. For the three respective days, smoked a VR Famosos (traded from a member on here), a Party 898V from 2007 (absolutely wonderful - Pres/Lisa, PSP Wishlist thread updated with a definite request for some of these!!!), and the blind cigar #2, respective of those three different days.

I was basically told a few items during the different days, but nothing was 100% official until I got the actual phone call.

Then, I got the phone call just the other day - completely good-to-go, Military Police position extended to me! So, I go in next Thursday to get my initial CF swearing in, to sign all the paperwork, and then I'm actually in transit on Easter weekend, to be up in St. Jean, Quebec for Monday, April 25th.

Yes, that's right - only a week left at home! :rolleyes:

So, a lot of stuff to get done around the house. The Mrs. and I are both fully prepared though, a lot of support around us for this, a very exciting time for us.

And this means that while I'm up in Basic (May, June, July), I won't have my home computer. The Mrs. will be at the house with everything (she'll be running the roost, with lots of awesome neighbourly help), but I won't have access to my computer or e-mail or whatnot. So, I'll be off-the-grid from FOH for three months (gasp). Therefore, my apologies, but if anyone sends me any PMs or e-mails during this time, you're out of luck, as I won't get to them.

But, I'm very excited. Three months of hell, then branch-specific training (got Army element), and then mid-fall will be off to Borden for my police academy for 6 months. After that, all "tinned" and working as a cop. Very cool. (Again, knock on wood, I just really REALLY hope that I can fully get through Basic training and then the academy without flunking out!). But, ndtoronto, I'll definitely be looking you up depending on how things go, post-BMQ.

Again, starting next weekend, I won't be able to talk to all you guys for a bit. But keep the good mojo/vibes/karma coming this way!!!! :covereyes:

Cheers.

Congrats Keith!

Hey if you need someone to gaurd your cigars while you're gone... :rolleyes:

LOL. Suuuuurrreeee..... :covereyes:

Nothing that can't already be solved by good ADT system in place, a nice little Mrs. at home with some Remingtons, a former-RCMP neighbour right there with a nice home-business now (home almost all the time), and another neighbour with some rottweilers.

I got the best security that money and my annual givaways of venison-pepperettes can buy! LOL.

[....and yet I've still got a bit paranoid, and secured the cigars specially anyways... :rolleyes: ]

Congratulations!

Don't forget to smoke the 3rd mystery cigar before you're off to basic training!!!

LOL. Yeah, I know! I plan on smoking it tomorrow afternoon, while I'm doing some spring clean-up stuff around the outside of the house, to have the house ready for spring/summer, prior to my departure. That way, I can get the third and final cigar review in, well ahead of time, but before I lose computer access for a number of weeks/months.

The only thing that sucks, fingers crossed, is that if I win/tie, then I wouldn't be able to spend my winnings until AFTER I get back from a number of weeks away! :wub:

LOL. Yeah, I know! I plan on smoking it tomorrow afternoon, while I'm doing some spring clean-up stuff around the outside of the house, to have the house ready for spring/summer, prior to my departure. That way, I can get the third and final cigar review in, well ahead of time, but before I lose computer access for a number of weeks/months.

The only thing that sucks, fingers crossed, is that if I win/tie, then I wouldn't be able to spend my winnings until AFTER I get back from a number of weeks away! :peace:

You can always entrust me with the winnings, I will pick great cigars for you.... and we can always split the cigars since I am being so generous!

I am sure you will get back to me on that.

LOL. Suuuuurreeee!!!!! :lol::D

Just saw this - belated congratulations. Very interesting as my bro in law would love to become a police officer in the uk, is in his mid20s, and struggling.

A - they are laying off 10s of thousands of police officers in UK with tory cuts

B - they prefer to recruit "Specials" - police officers with roughly the same powers, in uniform etc except they are Volunteers. That's right - no salary and a couple of months training instead of years. But they can still cuff you and beat you with a stick. What a brilliant cost-saving alternative ;-)

So he joined the Specials out of desperation even though he realises he's being exploited. In 5 years time when they start recruiting again it might help him with the CV. It's insane stuff over there.

Random but i thought others would be interested.