Glass top boxes in Mexico

I just got back from a 1 week cruise to Mexico. Every port that we stopped at there were street vendors selling the infamous glass top boxes. I of course brought my own stash to enjoy on the cruise. Here's a picture of their wares:

Mexico.jpg

a few years ago on the forum one poor soul (and newbie) posted pics of his pride and joy glass top boxes he picked up in Mexico. An absolute classic and can't remember who let him down not so gently that they don't come with glass lids.... and if I remember correctly Rob put his photos on rotation as well! :D:)

a few years ago on the forum one poor soul (and newbie) posted pics of his pride and joy glass top boxes he picked up in Mexico. An absolute classic and can't remember who let him down not so gently that they don't come with glass lids.... and if I remember correctly Rob put his photos on rotation as well! :):P

I remember that photo,always thought it was a joke.

:D

I feel sorry for those that don't know about this and keep on buying fakes.

I have a buddy that brought back a glass top box of RyJ's. He likes them and smokes them with pride, so I haven't mentioned anything to him about them being fakes. I graciously accept one as he offers and politely state I'll save this one for later and pull my own out.

I have a buddy that brought back a glass top box of RyJ's. He likes them and smokes them with pride, so I haven't mentioned anything to him about them being fakes. I graciously accept one as he offers and politely state I'll save this one for later and pull my own out.

As much as I wouldn't want to break the poor guy heart

by telling him he smokes fakes I would do it.

You dont want to know what you can find in those disgusting fakes.

Reminds me of the airport in Nicaragua. Every Cohiba cigar was in celophane (bundled Cohiba Robusto/lancero/Esplendido) + some even came with the glass lid and proudly displayed :D

The market must be absolutely huge.

*I read somewhere years back that the fakes sold on the streets in Cuba by desparate young amigos have contained everything from rolled up newspaper, human hair, feces and dirt :(

While on the cruise, I was relaxing by the pool and enjoying one of my own cigars. I overheard some guys at a nearby table, they said one of the vendors had offered him one of the glass top boxes for $150. He proudly stated that he managed to negotiate him down to $40. The vendor told him that he has a connection in one of the factories, which was why he was able to offer them so low. sigh. I didn't have the heart to tell him that had been taken. If it sounds too good to be true...

My Dad knows I love my Cubans. He brought me a Glass top box of Cohibas from a trip to the Domenican Republic. He knew they were fake and just did this to tease me, see my face when he handed his vacation souvenir to me. At 10$ I thought it was worth the joke. ;)

post-1077-1293981080.jpg