Christmas 2010 Cigar Review (Montecristo Joyitas TBR OCT 05)

Most of my end-of-year parties and family-get-togethers tend to have lots of children under the age of 10 (two of mine included), this fact together with the heat reaching the upper 30C mark in the near-south-western front of Australia, forces me to smoking late at night when everyone is asleep, specially the kids, and the air has cooled sufficiently.

12.55am. Not a soul in sight (or earshot), faint warm and wet easterly breeze, 27C… I chose a cigar that I haven't touched for a while: a minute Montecristo Joyita. They went painfully dry and rough about a year ago, so I let the last nine have a long nap. This stick ended being dry-boxed for four days; I had initially hoped to have it for new years eve, but due to lack of opportunity then it ended with an added couple of days.

post-1908-1293996480.jpg

I must admit that the stick chosen didn't look the best (those are long-gone) as it had a rather bumpy aspect, particularly near its cap, with hint of oil on the dark-colorado wrapper. It was relatively firm to touch.

At cold, it gave a fragrance of sweet leather and toast… clipping the cap, it revealed a nice not-too-easy draw that left a faintly sweet hay taste on the lips and palate.

post-1908-1293996552.jpg

After gently torching the foot, it opened with a well-rounded leche-con-cafe (milk with a dash of coffee) with hints of cinnamon, quite mouth filling and creamy in texture.

About half an inch into it, the sweetness nearly vanished, leaving a dry macchiato core - with burnt citrus rind and cinnamon. Medium body, but with stinging white pepper through the nose (didn't try that again).

post-1908-1293996579.jpg

Ash was nicely ribbed and whitish-grey, quite flaky, but the burn was perfect up to this point.

After 1 inch, the coffee built to a chewy espresso and vanilla on toast, becoming drier with citrus rind on the linger. Hints of cream seemed to come in and then wane, more as a texture than a taste, mixed in with dry citrus peel.

post-1908-1293996593.jpg

Just past midway, the vanilla became spicy whilst the espresso gave way to a sweeter but weaker coffee core more akin to lightly sweetened long black… the spice and dryness slowly strengthened in the midst of the coffee core, leading to a minty feel on the tongue and lips.

post-1908-1293996706.jpg

With 1 inch left: mint leather and espresso, well-balanced and smooth, hints of sweet anise on the linger, which slowly transmuted into strong cinnamon spice and thick espresso.

Nubbed 'til it hurt.

post-1908-1293996628.jpg

30min smoke. Quite amazing transformation with nearly a year's undisturbed rest. The mongrel spirit appears to have died in these, leaving a well rounded smooth smoke. If its siblings are similar in character, they will not last beyond the first quarter of 2011.

94/100

(third review of cigars from the same box).

I think these cigars are wonderful, thanks for the review. But again I also enjoy the Cohiba Exquisitos. While neither cigar is a value and are really overpriced per gram of tobacco, I cannot deny the excellent smoking experience that I often get from them.

Great review mate! -Piggy

Great review Zuma

good to hear from you again

thanks for posting

Cheers OZ :cofcig: