What is the one book that has most influenced you/made the most impression?

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a huge question. Only one book?

Too many books that have influenced me or delighted me at least a little. But no one book meets the "most influenced' qualifier.

Are we talking fiction? Non-Fiction?

Recently? Or years ago when I was more impressionable?

The one book (OK...three) which resonated with you in alighning/challenging your thoughts and have had some significant impact on the person you are today.

August Strindberg, The red room

Of course, I see, and take my chances to infuse the world with swedish things of all sorts. Accept from cigars that is, even though there was a company that produced a swedish puro until last year.

Back to the subject, The red room is a truly great novel, it´s a satire describing the lunacy and falseness in seeking fame. Even though it´s written in 1879 it feels universal an up to date.

Happy reading!

As a teen the novel Siddhartha spoke to me, I felt like the book had been written just for me. During my time in college and the Peace Corps I read and reread Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance several times. My all time favorite novel is All the King's Men. Robert Penn Warren's prose is just beautiful.

The one book (OK...three) which resonated with you in alighning/challenging your thoughts and have had some significant impact on the person you are today.

OK, then. I'll have to go back and rethink this.

But in the meantime, here are a few of the books that have impressed me recently:

Fiction

Welcome to Hard Times by E. L. Doctorow

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lathem

The border trilogy books by Cormac McCarthy

(basically any of his other books, too)

The Art of Drowning by Billy Collins

(or any collection of his poetry)

Non-fiction

A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Letter To A Christian Nation by Sam Harris

The Tipping Point, Blink, and The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

In that case, what comes to mind is

Existentialism Is a Humanism an essay, or more correctly I think, a lecture given by Jean-Paul Sartre in 1946.

I first read it in the late 60s and re-visit it periodically. Also at the time I was reading Eric Fromm and Rollo May and all of it put together had (or must have had) a big impact on me. I suspect it's worn off by now.

very hard to limit. loved siddarthra but not sure it had any major impact. if it is books you keep coming back to, i've read gerald durrell's collection many times. try and read lord of the rings every five years or so but i don't think i'm about to rush off to mordor to fight orcs (enough of that visiting new zealand). also re-read a lot of shakespeare's stuff regularly, especially lear and a few others but again, how much impact that has had, not sure.

probably subliminally, many of the wine books.

try and read lord of the rings every five years or so but i don't think i'm about to rush off to mordor to fight orcs

I read The Hobbit and LOTR series time and time again. These have to be my favorite reads, but not life changing.

Life changing? Getting Things Done (GTD) - David Allen

**** my Dad Says is a LOL book. Anyone who a relationship with their Dad will love this book.

Atlas Shrugged- I probably re-read it every five years. I promise you will not be able to put it down. Ayne Rand. Teaches how "greed is good".

The Reckoning -by Halberstam- explains why Japan eventually killed the U.S. dominance in auto prodiction. Although it is non-fiction, it is so brilliantly written you will feel like you are reading a great novel. The end of the book looks towards the future of China (and perhaps India and countries like Brazil) and how it/they will be big game changer(s).

Soooo many others. What types do you like to read or matters do you want to learn about?

As DBone said, LOTR and Silmarillion...read many times. Not life changing. Great escapes from reality.

Also read All Quiet on the Western Front many times. Not life changing. Great read

For WHom the Bell Tolls, influential.

Art of War - influential, can be used in life strategy and situations.

Lolita. The story itself is captivating, but the true pleasure of reading the book is in the prose. I think Nabokov has no equal in his mastery of language. It is the most well written book I have ever read.

I'm not sure, that is a tough question. I do hope though that my wifes one book isn't the book my dog stole off of her desk today and shredded in the back yard. Good thing she is out of town for work. Especially after my dog stole and shredded two Christmas stocking that she slaved over weeks making.

I want to do a little more quality reading this year :D

What is the one book that has most influenced you/made the most impression? Expand if you wish.

When I was about 16 I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X (just before or after the movie with Denzel Washington came out). This book made an everlasting impression on me. For a white kid in Suburban Australia, Malcolm X's story (as told to Alex Haley) made a profound impact on me, giving me a an idea of Malcolm X's experiences, an overview/his perspective of race relations in the US and also a wider awareness of Nation of Islam and wider Islam....

As a fan of history it aslo intorduced me to parts of the history of Slavery, race relations, Martin Luther King Jr etc.

as an aside Angela Bassett's performance as Malcolm's wife Betty in the film is powerful.

Albert Facey "A Fortunate Life" - an autobiography/novel detailing a normal Aussie's extraordinary life. Amazing all the jobs and things he did, had some very tough times too - bull whipped as a kid working on a farm, fought at Gallipoli, lived in depression days, family dramas etc. Kept positive and generally was a good bloke. worth a read.

The Bible and Søren Kierkegaard's Sickness Unto Death are the only truly life-changing volumes that I've read. Some honourable mentions would be Thomas Mann's Doctor Faustus, Schopenhauer's World as Will and Representation, Pascal's Pensées, and Alvin Plantinga's Nature of Necessity.