What is the one book that has most influenced you/made the most impression?

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, can't believe nobody mentioned the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy yet. Certainly made an impression on me by showing me two things: Do not take everthing so seriously and there are other strange people out there, I am not alone. And MRN showed cigars in a diffrent angle to me and it had a direct impact not only on me if not an impact on my bank account too... Couldn't stop buying cigars afterwards.

Speaking a bit more seriously, I can vote for anything that Hermann Hesse wrote. Some of it might not be life changing like Siddharta but is very epic, looking at menkind in diffrent ways. Steppenwolf, Glasperlenspiel, Narziss & Goldmund (sorry for the German names) - those books are really up there with the best.

Thanks at all for your valuable inputs. I think I'll do some book shopping soon.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very hard to say - i think Ecclesiastes from the bible has had a profound impact on me at a "life meaning" kind of level.

Reading Tolkien's mythology, particularly LoR, at age 7, has also kind of ruined me for the real world. Don't let your kids get hold of it if you want them to be happy accountants!

At an intellectual level, i can probably say no one book has really inspired me yet and this despite more years wasted studying political philosophy than is reasonable for any one person ;-)

*** On another note, all these people mentioning philosophers like Fromm, Foucault, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Sartre seems to be a lot higher than if you did a poll of the average population

Conclusion: Cigar smokers are more likely to be intellectuals/reflective. In other words, all that time spent smoking (and drinking!) gets them lost in thought... idle/addled minds tempt the devil ha ha

To Kill a Mockingbird influenced me a great deal. I read it when I was about 12 years old and living briefly in the southern US in the mid 70's. I had previously been living in England and Canada all my life and not really exposed to racial tensions in the real world until that time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a great study bible I love to read: the Navarre Bible.

As far as other books go:

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

both Iberia and Hawaii, by James Michener

The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemmingway

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brien

The Complete Short Novels, by Anton Checkhov

The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck

The Autobiography of Mark Twain, by Mark Twain

The Silmarillion, by J. R. R. Tolkien

I tried to list books that I continue to think about long after I read them, or that changed my thinking. The list could go on for a fair bit.

Yeah, they do read differently... but "differently" by no means means negative or poorly.

The series is an amazing journey that has won numerous awardspreviously reserved for novels and solely text based media. I really do recommend it highly.

Check out the Wikipedia page for a synopsis and other info. --> Wiki Page

Finished Volume One. I have mixed feelings about it. Once or twice I actually had trouble figuring out which frame to move to next. At times it was compelling but other times far from it. However, I was a little disappointed when I was back at the library earlier this week and saw that Volume One is the only one they have out of the entire series. Anyway, I'm glad I tried it. Thanks for the recommendation.

There are 2 books that I would suggest. The first is called Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice. The second is actually a novella from Herman Melville, called bartleby the scrivener.

In the 20 years since I first read these stories, I have never been able to forget them. They are a bit odd, and I think that is what I like about them most.

"Books-For-Rob" is turning out to be a gold mine.

Just finished Bartleby The Scrivener. I would not have considered it without the listing here. Thanks. You're right, it is a bit odd. Now starting Billy Budd since it's in the same collection of short novels.