Need input for building a Walk-In Humidor

edameff

Yes, finally a dream come true. We are building a “Cottage” on our property for my wife’s mom as she is getting along in years. Always an opportunist, my mind immediately seized on the opening and Bang, I am going to add a smoking room for myself with a walk in humidor. Any ideas you have will be greatly appreciated, and repaid with a nice smoke in my new room with me. The dimensions (for the walk in humidor) I am looking at are 6 feet deep by 15 feet wide. I am going to use two layers of thick visquine for a moisture barrier, then Spanish cedar veneer plywood. I am planning on using the Habitat Monitor with an AC evaporative humidifier. I think that small fans placed throughout the humidor will help to keep the temperature and humidity consistent, but am not sure about this. I think it should be relatively airtight, but again input is appreciated. Also am I better off with an 8 foot ceiling or 10 foot, either is easy to do. Thanks for all your help!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello to all, yes I am back after a long sabbatical. Due to work, personal issues, but most importantly building my smoking parlor and humidor I now have some unveiling to do. I have spent close to

Anyone who lives in a town with both Punta (as in La Punta) and Gorda (as in Coronas Gordas) and smokes Cuban cigars, who likes my ideas and would build me a shrine of EL's is a "sonofabitch" who, I h

Nice... Turn mum's cottage into a humidor/smoking lounge.

Looks like your links will be popular bundwallah. I am in the same situation, refinishing the basement and got permission from the wife to add a humidor.

Doc, we have a few members here with walk-ins - here's a link to one of the threads:

Link

I know there are one or two other threads (member Claudius had at least one very good one), but you will have to find them if you are interested -

I can't recall any of the key words for a search ;)

IMHO, I'd make the walk in airtight, but leave the rest of the area relatively well ventilated (maybe put some extractor fans in the ceiling and blower vents near the floor). That way you won't have the smell of stale smoke lingering in the air.

If I ever build a cigar lounge for myself, that'd be one of my key design features.

I'm not a contractor but my thoughts would be...

For better temp control might be better to not have the humidor on an exterior wall.

Use spray foam insulation for smoking & humidor area to mitigate smoke infiltration also temp and humidity loss.

The lower ceiling may be a better option for temp/humidity control.

Definitely a vapor barrier and blue board sheetrock on walls and ceiling.

A friend of mine has an amazing 5000 bottle walk-in wine cellar and they utilized two layers of sheetrock! not sure if it was 1/2" or 5/8"

Doc, as long as we're spending your dough, you could always make the smoking room a negative pressure room :)

P.S. don't forget the CGR altar :D

Actually it will be close, I am going to have duel 110 cfm exhaust fans, along with a separate AC and smoke filtration unit by IQ Air. Check out this link, it Blew me away (ha ha).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66hVQ0WIkQ

I am working on the alter for the CGR and am melting the gold tomorrow. I am using my wife's diamond from her wedding ring as the centerpiece of the alter. If you ever want to get really sick, PM me and I'll tell you how many of those stupid things I bought :rolleyes::no: I'm way too embarrassed to admit it on the public forum. Once it is all done, if you come down and visit, we can enjoy them by the alter as we chant and dance around it.

Not sure about this, but "spanish cedar veneer plywood"? When I think of plywood, I think of the typical SPF (spruce-pine-fir) stuff that we use here with construction and such. With this other that you mention, is it all spanish cedar wood, or are there other types of wood mixed in? I'm thinking that wouldn't be the greatest idea for a material. Especially with the "veneer" jumping out, I'd think that wouldn't be a long-lasting wood idea for the humid environment you're creating.

Again, not particularly familiar with that material. I'm a sucker for solid spanish cedar planks/wood, though. When I did my cabinet (you can do a search and find it in the Humidor Tuturial area), I used layers of a hardened fibreglass sheeting (similar for showers and such), and then 1/2" or so solid spanish cedar boards.

TD,

Plywood has multiple layers of adhesive. As it "gasses off" over time, the air inside your humidor and your cigars, may take on the smell of the adhesive vapors. If you are set on using plywood as a backing over drywall, put a vapor barrier on top of the plywood, somewhere underneath your spanish cedar.

In addition, if you look in to it further, you will learn that spanish cedar is a particularly difficult wood to work within that its sawdust is highly irritating, perhaps even carcinogenic.

Spanish cedar is also VERY expensive and can be difficult to get, so most think of it in terms of thin planks as opposed to boards.

Lastly, different woods have very different vapor and insulation factors worth considering. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I will gladly scan and send you a two-page letter analysis of the vapor values and R-values of different types of humidor wood for your consideration.

Robert

(BTW, I am in Orlando.)

You can save yourself a lot of money if you use mahogany-faced MDF board instead of spanish cedar for the walls. It's a neutral wood and won't impart anything to the cigars. Besides, I assume you'll be storing most of them in spanish cedar boxes anyway, so it's overkill IMO.

Best of luck with it! I hope you post pics of the progress along the way.

TD,

Plywood has multiple layers of adhesive. As it "gasses off" over time, the air inside your humidor and your cigars, may take on the smell of the adhesive vapors. If you are set on using plywood as a backing over drywall, put a vapor barrier on top of the plywood, somewhere underneath your spanish cedar.

In addition, if you look in to it further, you will learn that spanish cedar is a particularly difficult wood to work within that its sawdust is highly irritating, perhaps even carcinogenic.

Spanish cedar is also VERY expensive and can be difficult to get, so most think of it in terms of thin planks as opposed to boards.

Lastly, different woods have very different vapor and insulation factors worth considering. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I will gladly scan and send you a two-page letter analysis of the vapor values and R-values of different types of humidor wood for your consideration.

Robert

(BTW, I am in Orlando.)

Wow, I'm only about 2 hours from you. Great advice, Thanks.

Great links, very much appreciated, I will definitely post photos when it is done.

I am gonna' toss some ideas at you Doc.

I would likely prepare the walls with DensGlass or greenboard. I would use no taping material that could mold in the future. I would likely ventilate the DensGlass to open space and then use a Tyvek vapor barrier, inverted, or permeable side in and seal the Tyvek with tape. I would fir an open space between the Tyvek and the finished surface. The finished surface would not be a laminate of any kind (plywood) unless it was marine grade which would likely defeat the other substrate work.

I would use Spanish Cedar and in planks perpendicular to the furring, at least 1/4 inch think, 3/8th would be better and rabbit the edges for either a T&G or shiplap configuration. I would use a quality stainless deck screw to attach the lumber or if you must a SS finish nail.

I would finish by using a double paned, exterior grade 1 3/4", multi-light door, probably mahogany in a Q-lon fitted exterior jamb with a Q-lon threshold. Finish with a deadbolt and lever, with no finish applied to the interior surfaces.

In a nutshell; my years of building chilled humidors leads me to believe that sealed refrigerated units have inherent flaws. A controlled uni-directional evaporation is desirable. The smell of cedar to overcome any mildew, ammonia or unwanted odors is a must.

Best of luck with the project... I am envious as I wish was building this one myself.

Oh... While I use CMT monitors myself, the use of a data-logging process controller would be better!!! -Ray

I am gonna' toss some ideas at you Doc.

I would likely prepare the walls with DensGlass or greenboard. I would use no taping material that could mold in the future. I would likely ventilate the DensGlass to open space and then use a Tyvek vapor barrier, inverted, or permeable side in and seal the Tyvek with tape. I would fir an open space between the Tyvek and the finished surface. The finished surface would not be a laminate of any kind (plywood) unless it was marine grade which would likely defeat the other substrate work.

I would use Spanish Cedar and in planks perpendicular to the furring, at least 1/4 inch think, 3/8th would be better and rabbit the edges for either a T&G or shiplap configuration. I would use a quality stainless deck screw to attach the lumber or if you must a SS finish nail.

I would finish by using a double paned, exterior grade 1 3/4", multi-light door, probably mahogany in a Q-lon fitted exterior jamb with a Q-lon threshold. Finish with a deadbolt and lever, with no finish applied to the interior surfaces.

In a nutshell; my years of building chilled humidors leads me to believe that sealed refrigerated units have inherent flaws. A controlled uni-directional evaporation is desirable. The smell of cedar to overcome any mildew, ammonia or unwanted odors is a must.

Best of luck with the project... I am envious as I wish was building this one myself.

Oh... While I use CMT monitors myself, the use of a data-logging process controller would be better!!! -Ray

Thanks Piggy, excellent ideas. Tell you what, I will have a special corner dedicated to EL's in your honor, any chance you can come by when it's done and help me inaugurate it?

Thanks Piggy, excellent ideas. Tell you what, I will have a special corner dedicated to EL's in your honor, any chance you can come by when it's done and help me inaugurate it?

Anyone who lives in a town with both Punta (as in La Punta) and Gorda (as in Coronas Gordas) and smokes Cuban cigars, who likes my ideas and would build me a shrine of EL's is a "sonofabitch" who, I have gotta' put on my Christmas card list!!! Hell yeah, I say!

The only thing better than a great Cuban cigar is smoking a great Cuban cigar given to you by, and with, a friend. :D I may need to send you one of my Mr. Piggy Benevolent Dictator ashtrays/alter stones!

...Awaiting my shrine! Mr. Piggy.

post-79-1295575586.jpg

• Like 1