'The Fighter'

Torontonian

The Fighter is a 'based-on-a-true-story' film about former professional boxers 'Irish' Micky Ward and half-brother Dicky Eklund. As a casual boxing fan, I was intrigued by the previews and finally got around to seeing the movie a few nights ago.

'Realism' was the principal aim of the film, I think. There was an air of the pedestrian throughout, contributing to the overall believability - for instance, the actresses weren't super-models, the settings weren't pristine. Also, the familiar voices of Larry Merchant, Emanuel Steward, and Jim Lampley, and the televisual style, gave the boxing scenes credence.

In terms of violence, it was surprisingly tame - though my senses may have been dulled by the foregoing preview for Jason Statham's gratuitously violent The Mechanic. Anyway, there were no gruelling death scenes, no x-ray shots of splintering bones, no large explosions from which persons walk away unperturbed, and so on.

Some people may be put off by the 'white-trash' domesticity, as it were. It's not an escapist's movie. And Wahlberg's performance was, perhaps, a little flat comparatively - especially in juxtaposition to Bale's. But on the whole it's a good picture. If you haven't seen it, it's not too late to do so.

On a side note, wouldn't it be nice to smoke cigars at the cinema - except for the screen-obscuring smoke, that is, and the heightened, darkness-induced burn risk . . .

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to seeing this flick. Love boxing films.

• 2 months later...

This was one the best movies that I have seen in a long time. I thought Christain Bale did an amazing job. If you watch the making of the movie you see the real Eklund and you see how well Bale did the role.

Agreed on Bale. He looked, and acted like a legit junkihe. All the little nuances, and behavior were bang on.

I also saw this film and enjoyed it. Better yet I saw 3 of the actual Mickey Ward vs. Aturo Gotti fights....wow those were some of the best fights I have ever seen. Those two guys really leave it all in the ring. If you've never seen any of their fights I highly reccomend watching.

• 2 months later...

I was stunned by how great Christian Bale was...best movie I have seen in awhile myself. Really excellent acting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a big fan of Christian Bale. Perhaps my favorite film of his, many of which I enjoy immensely, is "The Machinist."

He was amazing and the film still haunts me.

For a film like this, it's better to go in "cold" and know nothing about it. But I know some don't "play that way," so below is a link from imdb.com, which I suggest you don't click on. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/

cheers!

I bought this movie on Blu-Ray and it's just sitting on my coffee table I have no idea why I haven't watched it yet

You definitely should. It will be worth it. Good movie. Great acting!