Havana trip report.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Report Tarks. Now thats the way to do Cuba. Sounds like you guys have the Havana connection down pat.

Now if I can only convince the wife to let me join you next year!

G

Next year is far too long to wait bro. How about joining us in May and Nov this year? :)

If I may be so stupid to ask...as a fellow canuck. How does the haul back home work getting through customs???

BTW......that is an awesome program you guys are rockin.

JD

The trick is to delcare everything. Be honest with Customs. If you have 140 sticks, declear 140 sticks. Most likely, you wont be pulled in as they don't really care and are more focused on criminals / terrorists / etc rather than duty avoidance! My last trip, I brought back 140 sticks (90 over the limite) and sweet talked the guy down to 50 over (my cheapest sticks - mostly customs) and paid $58 in duty !!

If I may be so stupid to ask...as a fellow canuck. How does the haul back home work getting through customs???

BTW......that is an awesome program you guys are rockin.

JD

The trick is to delcare everything. Be honest with Customs. If you have 140 sticks, declear 140 sticks. Most likely, you wont be pulled in as they don't really care and are more focused on criminals / terrorists / etc rather than duty avoidance! My last trip, I brought back 140 sticks (90 over the limite) and sweet talked the guy down to 50 over (my cheapest sticks - mostly customs) and paid $58 in duty !!

I agree.

Your allowance for a week away is 50 cigars. It doesn't matter if you buy a box of 50 Montecristo Clubs, or bring back 50 Cuaba Diademas - the overall size or value doesn't matter. It's the numbers that count.

And, to go with what BigDog mentioned above, if you DO go over the allotment, there is a bit of a trick that I learned. Yes, declare it all. There's nothing at all illegal about going over your allotment. As long as you're not coming home with Havana House's whole annual shipment, and without an import permit, it's not a major issue. Whether you've got 60, or even 600. The value only comes into play at that point for taxes and such.

But, the trick that I found out about a bit is that if you specifically know that you're going to buy well over your limit, when you go to Cuba to buy, work with a bit of a plan. Buy your most expensive stuff first, the pricey big boxes of stuff. The LCDH does the little receipt form with your passport number and such on it....and the date. Then, as you get more stuff, do it on a following day or whatnot. That way, if you do get dinged with having to pay tax, it's on the cheaper stuff at the end of the pick-up; the expensive stuff that you got during the first few days were the cigars that, in theory, fell within your 50-cigar duty-free alotment. So, it's the additionals bought after that, the cheaper stuff, that they have to sort out the taxes on.

Now, all this said, it all depends on how nice you are to the Customs staff. Depending on their day, or if you got a prick of a manager, they could just average it out. However, I've heard that the way that I stated above (that it's the first 50-sticks that are duty-free, its specifically the later stuff that should be taxed), is the way that it's supposed to be done.

Thanks for the info regarding customs.........off to Varadero shortly for a Vaca and will be making a haul back. I know different provinces are different, etc regarding importation but what are you looking at for taxes, duty per stick on your overage......roughly. Can't find that info anywhere on the Gov't site.

JD

I agree.

Your allowance for a week away is 50 cigars. It doesn't matter if you buy a box of 50 Montecristo Clubs, or bring back 50 Cuaba Diademas - the overall size or value doesn't matter. It's the numbers that count.

And, to go with what BigDog mentioned above, if you DO go over the allotment, there is a bit of a trick that I learned. Yes, declare it all. There's nothing at all illegal about going over your allotment. As long as you're not coming home with Havana House's whole annual shipment, and without an import permit, it's not a major issue. Whether you've got 60, or even 600. The value only comes into play at that point for taxes and such.

But, the trick that I found out about a bit is that if you specifically know that you're going to buy well over your limit, when you go to Cuba to buy, work with a bit of a plan. Buy your most expensive stuff first, the pricey big boxes of stuff. The LCDH does the little receipt form with your passport number and such on it....and the date. Then, as you get more stuff, do it on a following day or whatnot. That way, if you do get dinged with having to pay tax, it's on the cheaper stuff at the end of the pick-up; the expensive stuff that you got during the first few days were the cigars that, in theory, fell within your 50-cigar duty-free alotment. So, it's the additionals bought after that, the cheaper stuff, that they have to sort out the taxes on.

Now, all this said, it all depends on how nice you are to the Customs staff. Depending on their day, or if you got a prick of a manager, they could just average it out. However, I've heard that the way that I stated above (that it's the first 50-sticks that are duty-free, its specifically the later stuff that should be taxed), is the way that it's supposed to be done.

Once you have cleared Cuban customs, toss your Facturas. Bring zero receipts into Canada. Declare all your cigars. If you get pulled in, tell them you bought everything on the street. Fudge the numbers. :P