Montecristo Gran Reserva

The only "problem" ( for lack of better term) I have is that I don't really trust his opinion - they may very well be great cigars, but I can't recall him

ever giving a cigar a poor review. A little off perhaps, and I think I once read him saying something along the lines of he had an off cigar transfer

it's off properties to a good cigar next to it in the same humidor.

Perhaps not trusting his opinion is not the correct way to say it - maybe just that our tastes are not in line.

The only "problem" ( for lack of better term) I have is that I don't really trust his opinion - they may very well be great cigars, but I can't recall him

ever giving a cigar a poor review. A little off perhaps, and I think I once read him saying something along the lines of he had an off cigar transfer

Perhaps not trusting his opinion is not the correct way to say it - maybe just that our tastes are not in line.

I think people in James' line of business have to walk a fine line. You see him at this festival, or visiting wineries, talking to the owners and giving out 90+ points or the odd 100 to a wine. When you come across something that didn't sit well with you and then give a "bad" rating and furthermore you're doing it in a very public forum, you're going to lose some access and turn some noses. Whether you make cigars or wine, if JS gives you 90+ you're going welcome him with open arms. Anything below 85 and next time he is persona non grata. :lol: Human nature will kick in.

As consumers, we all want high profile reviewers to be as honest as objective as they could be so that we are more confident in our choices. For instance, when I see Rob pitching a cigar in disgust halfway through a video review, that says a lot to me as a customer. First off, that particular cigar would be risky to buy and second the guy selling me the product has enough integrity to come out and say what products he is carrying that he thinks is not only good but what products are not up to snuff!! I'm probably just skimming the surface of what I believe to be complex and subtle relationships.

At the end of the day, you have to judge for yourself. Over time, if you see your tastes line up with those of the "pundits" then you can put more stock in their opinions.

I agree with your points Bundwallah.

I see high-profile reviewers as 'hype-men' to use some rap slang. Basically just part of the marketing apparatus for new promotions.

Not to bag on J. Suckling..... I certainly have enjoyed some of his writing over the years..... but I don't think that he has done much to foster interest in some of the less-appreciated marcas and vitolas. I think a critic has a certain responsibility to promote quality at the margins of public perception. If more cigar writers did this..... I doubt HSA would have felt the need to cut the Partagas SDC line, just to name one example. Of course the deletions are more complicated than just this and shouldn't be blamed on any one individual. That being said, when the assessment of this period in cigar history is written, I suspect that the move towards limited, value-added releases, which certain industry writers have fawned over, will have to come under scrutiny.

Ignore the average smoker..... lose your market in the long run.

Bow. Off soapbox.

I see high-profile reviewers as 'hype-men' to use some rap slang. Basically just part of the marketing apparatus for new promotions.

Exactly. I'm almost done reading Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" which talks about how ideas spread. To quote from the back of the book.

"The Tipping Point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behaviour crosses a threshold, tips and spreads like wildfire"

There's an entire section on what he believes are the underlying reason's teens get into cigarettes. Very eye opening. An excellent book IMO.

People like JS are definitely playing the role of "hype man".

I think a critic has a certain responsibility to promote quality at the margins of public perception. If more cigar writers did this..... I doubt HSA would have felt the need to cut the Partagas SDC line, just to name one example. Of course the deletions are more complicated that just this and shouldn't be blamed on any one individual, but when the history of this period in cigar history is written, I suspect that the move towards limited, value-added releases that certain industry writers have fawned over, will have to come under scrutiny. Ignore the average smoker..... lose your market in the long run.

I think in a way, that both sells short, and lets off the hook the buying public (I know that's not what you're saying). I have to believe that a good amount

of the cigar smokers are well versed enough to not have to rely on a single, or relatively few, sources of information to help guide decisions. In the end,

not enough people felt strongly enough about the virtues of deleted cigars to vote with their wallets and keep them alive (also obviously more complicated).

It's probably still a bit difficult for a newcomer to sift through all the chaff, and well known magazines are more than likely an easy starting point. But with

all the information available today, and a little patience, I hope that smokers are more well armed when it comes to making choices.

That said, there are cigars that some may never have the pleasure of smoking......

Wow, I've watched a number of James' videos, and I've never seen him that excited about a cigar! He's normally almost Brittish in his reserve. But either he freakin' loved this stick or he was on his 7th Mojito, lol.

Personally, I thought they should do a Monte #2 Gran Reserva since the Cohiba came out. Because the production quality on the regular #2 line is such crap, there are people who would love to pay top dollar for some that are actually great. I'm not one of them, but I'm happy for the people are are excited about these.

Um yeah, when James says It's the bomb, he's NOT kidding. I ended up with 5 of these at the festival (lol don't ask me how I managed to procure more), and it was BY FAR the best cigar I smoked down there....and I smoked about 45 cigars including at least 30 custom rolled cigars from La China , Reynaldo, and a custom rolled from Carlos Robaina . So JS is definitely not blowing smoke with this review. Now, word was going around at the festival that these would be retailing for between 60-80 per stick. If Rob decides to sell some of them individually, then yeah It's definitely worth picking up a couple. I give this cigar a 98-99 already, and its still fresh (the tobacco is 5 years old, but the roll is recent). I can only imagine what these beasts will be like with some age on them...they definitely have the balls for some spectacular aging.

Um yeah, when James says It's the bomb, he's NOT kidding. I ended up with 5 of these at the festival (lol don't ask me how I managed to procure more), and it was BY FAR the best cigar I smoked down there....and I smoked about 45 cigars including at least 30 custom rolled cigars from La China , Reynaldo, and a custom rolled from Carlos Robaina . So JS is definitely not blowing smoke with this review. Now, word was going around at the festival that these would be retailing for between 60-80 per stick. If Rob decides to sell some of them individually, then yeah It's definitely worth picking up a couple. I give this cigar a 98-99 already, and its still fresh (the tobacco is 5 years old, but the roll is recent). I can only imagine what these beasts will be like with some age on them...they definitely have the balls for some spectacular aging.

If you are already rating them a 98-99 I don't see how age will improve them??? I'm not trying to be a **** here, just trying to understand. :)

Well I imagine they may go to 99-100 after some more age. I seriously thought they were already one of the best cigars I have ever smoked. I have only rated 3 cigars at 100, and the Monte Gran Reserva has the potential to hit the 100 mark. Keep in mind that maybe they won't improve with age....who knows, but it will be interesting to see how they do.

Colt, i'm like this as well. I rarely give poor reviews, not because i don't smoke bad cigars, but because when i do, i just can't be bothered saying poor things about it publicly.

Someone may ask, "Well, then how do we know which cigars we should avoid?"

The answer to that is simple, "Well, just smoke the ones that i do review, because those are the ones that i recommend."

I go by this philosophy -- if you got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I would probably make a lousy film critic, and only do one or two reviews a year since there are much more crap movies that good ones. But when it comes to luxury items like cigars, i think this approach works.

Colt, i'm like this as well. I rarely give poor reviews, not because i don't smoke bad cigars, but because when i do, i just can't be bothered saying poor things about it publicly.

Understandable - but I think this might be where paid public critics might rub some the wrong way from the standpoint of appeasing advertisers. Again, I

don't want this to turn into a bash session - it is what it is, and I don't lose any sleep over it.

I think people in James' line of business have to walk a fine line. You see him at this festival, or visiting wineries, talking to the owners and giving out 90+ points or the odd 100 to a wine. When you come across something that didn't sit well with you and then give a "bad" rating and furthermore you're doing it in a very public forum, you're going to lose some access and turn some noses. Whether you make cigars or wine, if JS gives you 90+ you're going welcome him with open arms. Anything below 85 and next time he is persona non grata. :rolleyes: Human nature will kick in.

As consumers, we all want high profile reviewers to be as honest as objective as they could be so that we are more confident in our choices. For instance, when I see Rob pitching a cigar in disgust halfway through a video review, that says a lot to me as a customer. First off, that particular cigar would be risky to buy and second the guy selling me the product has enough integrity to come out and say what products he is carrying that he thinks is not only good but what products are not up to snuff!! I'm probably just skimming the surface of what I believe to be complex and subtle relationships.

At the end of the day, you have to judge for yourself. Over time, if you see your tastes line up with those of the "pundits" then you can put more stock in their opinions.

You nailed it Brother! :clap:

I have been hauled over the Industry coals more than once for giving poor reviews. The Monte Open comes to mind. Ken's "Shame Habanos Shame!" is still brought up in the confines of late night Nacional drinks :D

You either like something or you don't. I am happy to give a "benefit of the doubt" if I have a dud but when you taste 6-8 from different sources/boxes/codes over a period of time and they suck then just say so. I don't see anyone doing HSA any favours saying something is good when it is not.

Some reviewers are more diplomatic than others. Some simply cannot say what they feel and find a way of "smoothing that over". I understand that and it has been raised many times when we have the rare occasion of sitting down together for a drink and a cigar.

I am not in a position where I have to appease a distributor or manufacturer. I think we have sold 2 boxes of Monte Open since release. I wear that badge with honour as I have a stated dislike for the cigar and the concept of some external marketing ponytailed dickhead making the Monte Open up on a whiteboard.

Screw them... it is an embarrassment (my opinion). I do have trouble with reviewers who in my company berate a cigar on release and then give it a 90 on a blog the following day.

I just do what I do and don't really give a rats what others say or do. In private I may ask them "WTF" but each works to his/her own set of circumstances and I understand that. I may not necessarily agree with it.

In relation to James I will say one thing. I have seen a shiteload of industry and non industry "dignitaries" and "wannabees" treat my Cuban friends and family with disrespect and occasionaly like dirt. It fires me up no end.

James however is the utmost gentlemen with a genuine love for Cuba and its people. I have witnessed it time and time again away from the crowds of a festival. He is engaging, honest and humble with the people I care about.

Whether you like his reviews or not, his public persona or not, don't make the mistake of judging the individual.

• JohnS changed the title to Montecristo Gran Reserva