Montecristo Gran Reserva

I have been hauled over the Industry coals more than once for giving poor reviews. The Monte Open comes to mind. Ken's "Shame Habanos Shame!" is still brought up in the confines of late night Nacional drinks ;)

You either like something or you don't. I am happy to give a "benefit of the doubt" if I have a dud but when you taste 6-8 from different sources/boxes/codes over a period of time and they suck then just say so. I don't see anyone doing HSA any favours saying something is good when it is not.

Some reviewers are more diplomatic than others. Some simply cannot say what they feel and find a way of "smoothing that over". I understand that and it has been raised many times when we have the rare occasion of sitting down together for a drink and a cigar.

I am not in a position where I have to appease a distributor or manufacturer. I think we have sold 2 boxes of Monte Open since release. I wear that badge with honour as I have a stated dislike for the cigar and the concept of some external marketing ponytailed dickhead making the Monte Open up on a whiteboard.

Screw them... it is an embarrassment (my opinion). I do have trouble with reviewers who in my company berate a cigar on release and then give it a 90 on a blog the following day.

I just do what I do and don't really give a rats what others say or do. In private I may ask them "WTF" but each works to his/her own set of circumstances and I understand that. I may not necessarily agree with it.

In relation to James I will say one thing. I have seen a shiteload of industry and non industry "dignitaries" and "wannabees" treat my Cuban friends and family with disrespect and occasionaly like dirt. It fires me up no end.

James however is the utmost gentlemen with a genuine love for Cuba and its people. I have witnessed it time and time again away from the crowds of a festival. He is engaging, honest and humble with the people I care about.

Whether you like his reviews or not, his public persona or not, don't make the mistake of judging the individual.

Well said Rob,

IMO a person without integrity is a no body

cheers OZ :huh:

I have been hauled over the Industry coals more than once for giving poor reviews. The Monte Open comes to mind. Ken's "Shame Habanos Shame!" is still brought up in the confines of late night Nacional drinks :huh:

You either like something or you don't. I am happy to give a "benefit of the doubt" if I have a dud but when you taste 6-8 from different sources/boxes/codes over a period of time and they suck then just say so. I don't see anyone doing HSA any favours saying something is good when it is not.

Some reviewers are more diplomatic than others. Some simply cannot say what they feel and find a way of "smoothing that over". I understand that and it has been raised many times when we have the rare occasion of sitting down together for a drink and a cigar.

I am not in a position where I have to appease a distributor or manufacturer. I think we have sold 2 boxes of Monte Open since release. I wear that badge with honour as I have a stated dislike for the cigar and the concept of some external marketing ponytailed dickhead making the Monte Open up on a whiteboard.

Screw them... it is an embarrassment (my opinion). I do have trouble with reviewers who in my company berate a cigar on release and then give it a 90 on a blog the following day.

I just do what I do and don't really give a rats what others say or do. In private I may ask them "WTF" but each works to his/her own set of circumstances and I understand that. I may not necessarily agree with it.

In relation to James I will say one thing. I have seen a shiteload of industry and non industry "dignitaries" and "wannabees" treat my Cuban friends and family with disrespect and occasionaly like dirt. It fires me up no end.

James however is the utmost gentlemen with a genuine love for Cuba and its people. I have witnessed it time and time again away from the crowds of a festival. He is engaging, honest and humble with the people I care about.

Whether you like his reviews or not, his public persona or not, don't make the mistake of judging the individual.

Great post Boss

Rob,

I am very glad to hear this because I think he comes off as a pompous know-it-all whether he is taking about cigars or wines, another interest of mine. But I take your comments at face value, and if this is the case he could do a better job projecting his public persona as it does not do him justice at all IMHO off course.

Well said. I found the video really entertaining. I think he probably had a bottle of rum before he shot that video. While watching it I could not help but wonder if he ran into his old budddies at CA since they were all there and if he did what that encounter was like. From his writing his genuine love of the people and the island comes out. I enjoy his posts on Cuba and its people more than his cigar reviews.

Rob,

I am very glad to hear this because I think he comes off as a pompous know-it-all whether he is taking about cigars or wines, another interest of mine. But I take your comments at face value, and if this is the case he could do a better job projecting his public persona as it does not do him justice at all IMHO off course.

I wouldn't say he acts like a know-it-all (though I know others who share that opinion). I've always perceived it as passion or child-like enthusiasm for the subject.

Cheers.

I never jump on bandwagons on people's opinion of others.

Frankly, I have always liked his reviews. His passion for CC's is very infective.

He's the Steve Irwin of CC's as far as I'm concerned and I dig what he has to say. Personally, I could give a rat's ass what he is like as a person. If I meet and hang with him in person, then I might make an opinion. But till then, I don't let other people's opinion sway mine.

I think somebody forgot to tell Sir James that the words "The Bomb" went out of style years ago. I'm just saying...
child-like enthusiasm for the subject.

I have met James Suckling a few times in Havana and elswhere and I'm with Rob on this,

he really is a man who has a real respect for others and that is a rare thing today.The man is

a great guy and truly a real cigar lover & passionate person. However, professionally I'm not

always in agreement with his wine tastings and even less on his cigar tastings .

Maybe it's the fact that he stayed such a LONG time with WS and CA but I find his reviews and

vocabulary on wines and cigars ,soo short & simplified that you almost feel like he is rating

the same wine & cigar all the time. When he speaks on his video's and because of his vocabulary &

behavior, I can't help but feel like it's a 14 year old boy talking as if he was still in the early 70's.

Yeah, I'm Digging it , :)

Regards to cigar reviews, I'm not intending to blow sunshine up our benefactor's ass but, ..... In FOH, I trust.

Generally, I've bought and liked the cigars you all (Rob, Smithy, Ken, et al) have reviewed as good, and hence has stayed away from those that you all don't like so much. The cigar reviews are genuinely a resource for me. ****, at first I could not understand WTF you are saying with your accents. And, frankly it's your reviews on youtube that brought me to FOH. I like the "Everyday Joe" point of views albeit I know you all are cigars connoisseurs in their own right and bring your history and experience of CC's to the table. I just get a sense that none of you are anybody's lackey or marketing rep. Of course, I don't know any of you all personally, and would love to one day smoke a cigar on the deck with you all. This I can say, I'm sure if that day comes, you will get me plenty drunk as well as recommend some great cigars to smoke. Would be good times I'm sure.

I also value the cigar reviews of our brethren here as well. This is the best place to learn. I always pimp this site when others getting into CC's or want to learn about them ask me what cigar to buy or what do I think about this and that CC.

post-5987-1299360409.jpg

I like the guy - seems to have respect for the cuban people. I do know ever since he left CA I havent bothered to renew my subscription - those other guys, well it just aint worth my time.

• JohnS changed the title to Montecristo Gran Reserva