Blind Cigar Tasting Competition Thread......

El Presidente

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new here and I'm probably missing something very obvious, but where can I get these mystery cigars? I know I'm too late for this, but I just wanted to know for future reference.

As Fuzz mentioned, Rob does these type of things on an irregular basis - various contests, poker tournaments, drawings, etc. Visit often, participate

as you can.

Mystery Cigar #1

Appearance -veins run through the cigar

Construction - a well made cigar. No loose or unfilled spots

photo-2.jpg

Aroma at cold - old tobacco

1st - started with a little spice through the noise...muted tobacco flavor

photo-4.jpg

This cigar can hold an ash! Every even burn for me

2nd -small amount of spice pepper through the noise with a medium toasty tobacco flavor

last 3rd - photo-5.jpg

Some earth, maybe cedar with the clear toasty tobacco permeating the cigar. It produced tons of smoke in the final third

Overall, I haven't smoked this brand. It's not a luxury brand for sure. Mild to medium at best, as it wasn't overly complex but enjoyable. I'm certain torn between two brands. I just don't know what this particular cigar is at this juncture.

All the best, PM sent to el prez

ciao,

Dee

Still waiting to get mine - hoping I get them in time to get this done!!!! :P

I wondering how many participants are still waiting on their mystery cigars? Sound out if you haven't got them.

Myself and Chris (ChanceSchmerr) I believe. That's all I remember seeing mention it on the various threads on the comp so far.

Chance got his yesterday...fingers crossed yours arrive in the next day or so

Well, I smoked this baby last week, finally emailed Rob my highly nuanced analysis (read: guess), and am finally posting my notes here. I am soooo, lazy and just find smoking so much more enjoyable than gathering my thoughts and writing up my notes. However, the alternative tonight is to finish working on my 2010 income taxes ;) , so here goes:

Conditions: Weekday around lunch, about 42 deg. F, slight breeze. Was hoping for a warmer day, but the forecast was for 30's almost through the end of phase 1 of the contest, so I thought this was my best opportunity. This put a slight damper on things, making me feel I was "forcing" myself to smoke it, rather than it being an "organic" experience.

Construction: Nice Colorado to Colorado/Maduro color, no blemishes. Good looking cigar, but no centerfold, a couple of large veins. Firm to the touch but w/ a gentle "give", one spongy spot right at the halfway point. Cap looked more rounded than most that I've seen. I've seen at least one post that also mentioned this, but I've seen photos that are both rounded and more flat.

Aroma at cold: Toasted tobacco, a little bit of barnyard. Draw was right where I liked it, a slight bit on the firm side.

Opening: Very strong, almost harsh on the first 2 puffs, then settled down immediately to med/full. Hint of grilled meat?, then moved to leather. Visually, there was a decent amount of smoke, but less than I expected, almost as if there was a draw problem (there wasn't). Smoke was definitely light on the palate, almost thin.

First third: Burn has been perfect. Nice, long grey ash which held to almost the start of the 2nd third. Strength at the end of the 1st third is more to the med side of med/full. Nothing much happening with the flavor, mostly toasted tobacco and leather.

Second third: Bit of pepper here, but not overpowering. Some uneven burn at the mid-point, where the soft spot was, also a bit of wrapper lift, but it corrects quickly and burns through this. The smoke volume becomes greater now, strength is still on the med side of med/full. Middle of the second third also brings a slight hint of chocolate.

Last third: Flavor goes back to pepper and leather. Toward the nub, the pepper is gone and there is a sweetness that was hard to place. The aftertaste was distinctly rawhide/leather and a little chocolate.

This cigar was just OK. Not inspirational or fantastic, but also not what I'd call a good daily smoke. Just OK, which is barely or just below average to me. Of course, this is only a sample of one, and there were enough interesting hints to make me curious to try some more samples, but if they all panned out similar to this one, it's not a cigar I would seek out. 82-83.

Thanks Rob, Lisa, Smithy and all those at the Casa del Czar that helped to put this together. Big fun!

Rick

Mystery Blind Taste Cigar #1

3/23, 5:00 PM, 78 degrees fahrenheit

Phoenix, Arizona

Paired with a Tanqueray Rangpur and Tonic

Vitola- Petit Coronas.

Lovely Colorado wrapper with a small speck of green on the wrapper. Silky to the touch with light veins running throughout.

Aroma at cold - Clean tobacco with a hint of spice.

Draw - Perfect. Slight resistance which is how I like it.

1/3 - Toasted tobacco is predominant flavor with some oakiness to it. It's medium body to start. I get some earthy tones with scattered sweetness. The burn is absolutely perfect. I got some white pepper through the nose.

2/3 - The burn is still perfect. It's turned more into a creamy smoke with hints of sweetness. It's slightly more than medium body now but not full. Now the predominant flavor is leather with some toasted almonds.

Final 3rd - The creaminess is coming through nicely with the core flavors being leather and toasted tobacco. Towards the end the oakiness came back and I got some hints of chocolate/cocoa.

I would rate this an 88/89. It seems like a cigar that wouldn't give you that "wow" moment but if it stayed consistent then you would be happy smoking these for the rest of your life.

Good cigar but lacked a happy ending. It weighed in at a hefty 8.8 grams. Firm to the touch. The specimen demonstrated bilateral wrapper creases akin to SLB Cabinet Packaging. Overall it was a pleasing cigar that provided what I expected. It may not have finished strong, but there were moments in the body that definitely made it worth the experience. It was a young cigar, having touches of ammonia at the beginning, but nothing too overt.

1st Third

Opened well with a desired draw that was slightly resistive. The aroma popped immediately after lighting showing subtle signs of Sandalwood and Stone fruit. The taste was sweet and slightly acidic. And the burn resulted in a cone slightly off center.

2nd Third

The transition demarcated itself with an increase in umami taste. The draw remained slightly resistive. Aromas of molasses and roasted nut took over. The burn surprising turned flat.

Final Third

Was extremely disappointing. The draw became hot and easy. The cigar was very spongy at this point. The aroma was too light to make out. The taste overly sour and acidic.

post-2888-1301621801.jpg

Good cigar but lacked a happy ending. It weighed in at a hefty 8.8 grams. Firm to the touch. The specimen demonstrated bilateral wrapper creases akin to SLB Cabinet Packaging. Overall it was a pleasing cigar that provided what I expected. It may not have finished strong, but there were moments in the body that definitely made it worth the experience. It was a young cigar, having touches of ammonia at the beginning, but nothing too overt.

1st Third

Opened well with a desire draw that was slightly resistive. The aroma popped immediately after lighting showing subtle signs of Sandalwood and Stone fruit. The taste was sweet and slightly acidic. And the burn resulted in a cone slightly off center.

2nd Third

The transition demarcated itself with an increase in umami taste. The draw remained slightly resistive. Aromas of molasses and roasted nut took over. The burn surprising turned flat.

Final Third

Was extremely disappointing. The draw become hot and easy. The cigar was very spongy at this point. The aroma was too light to make out. The taste overly sour and acidic.

Well, that about does it.

Semery, I have to hand it to you - that's about one of the most detailed, scientific, analytical reviews I've ever seen. Hell, you even have a graph and a spreadsheet/column organizational aspect in there.

Dude, you need to get some fresh air.... :PB):P;):D

Petite Corona review

Pre light - poor nose beautiful wrapper

1st third....poor burn, very woody nose. at this point it is not complex. Dominate flavor is Oak....very woody.

2nd third caught a runner due to poor construction. black ash. Still woody aroma and taste. A hint of sweetness heading into the third

Last third - woodiness gave way to sweet cedar...a bit of candy. more enjoyable now than the 1st two thirds...The runner is gone. Surprised the construction belied the nice wrapper. Sweet aroma, candy tastes

Quick n' Dirty PC review

1st third - woody, slight sweetness

2nd third - woody gave way to creamy goodness, sweetness increased, peppery note on the tonsils.

3rd third - sweetness subsided a little, pepper note faded as well. No bitterness detected at all.

Razor sharp burn from start to finish. Good draw. Tons of smoke.

Several people at the lounge took note and showed interest in the cigar.

Just got back from vacation with the family and Oh **** am I tired...

Mystery Petite Corona smoked 3-25-11. With water and black coffee.

Medium Colorado, well rolled, unassuming little mareva with a hint of grey to the color. A bit of funk smell unlit. Draw is very loose with some leather flavor drawing prelit.

Opens up with a waxy character, loads of smoke. Moves to a somewhat salty, dank character not entirely unpleasant. Medium bodied with forest floor and a woody aspect. No sweetness until ¼ in, then a bit of caramel. Slowly lightens up in flavor profile, with more sweetness and some floral notes. Some chocolate shows and persists, along with the waxy characteristic I will chalk up to youth. Dark forest floor in the background. Still a lot of smoke and becomes stronger, medium full as the first third ends.

Some tannic, anise notes in the second third. Earth, leather, some lingering charred sweetness and overroasted nuts. Strength. More earth.

Last third: Dumbed down version of the first two thirds, with some black pepper thrown in at the end. Ended somewhat prematurely with bitterness due to the loose draw.

The loose draw changed the profile for me, and the call it was very close between two, although in the end one marca seemed obvious. Enjoyable smoke, with complexity starting in the beginning but lost later. Promising, however. 87-88 if I had to score it, with deductions due to its loose draw and youth.

PM sent to Rob...

Forgot to send this out. Better late than never.

Construction: Firm with a veiny wrapper. Good burn. Never needed to touch up or correct

Cold Draw: Nuts and Cherry

1st Third: Smooth and mild to start builds to hints of pepper and wood.

2nd Third: Wood flavors dominated with pepper being subdued 

Final third: wood and coffee flavors. Pepper gone. Cigar never got harsh. 

Never got mine smoked... oh well I am out of the contest but I have three cigars to smoke.

I'm not gonna look at the answers though to test myself.

You still have till April fourth to give it a shot!

Oh great, now I'm going to have to follow the Pig??!?!?! :)

Yes, you heard me right....I actually get to do this! Just got these in the mail today, Friday! Whew! Damn Canada Post.

Well, I'll smoke this down tomorrow, and see how she goes. Rob, if I'm right in my guess(es) so far just based on the pictures and reviews, and with your warped sense of humour possibily, and likely especially with El Cerdo's post....if I'm right with my guess, you are one slick, mean SOB! :clap::clap:

I'm gonna smoke this tomorrow and see what my thoughts are....

You still have till April fourth to give it a shot!

Smoked mine today... it was peppery and harsh. Not the white pepper flavor that I associate with a certain marca. It had me stumped, I don't think it was from one of the marcas I usually smoke from. Sent Rob my guess.

This one was a hard case to crack because the true essence of the cigar really only appeared for 10-12 draws.

Dark, Earth, Spice, Choco, Cherry, Slight Wood, Burnt Tobacco, Little To No Cream, Med-Full.

Burn problems and retorches. This will not be a cigar I purchase once the mystery is revealed.

Next time I'll upload spreadsheets, pivot charts and diagrams as well. :lol:

Good job brothers.