Help me choose a multi-use torch?

Looking to buy one of these tabletop badass lighters like the vector nitro, or this blazer that I recently stumbled upon http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-GB2001-Self-I..._pr_product_top

Anyone use one of these? I would like to be able to use it for cigars, but also cooking.

I also saw this one, which looks identical to the nitro, just different colors http://www.amazon.com/Jewellers-Jumbo-Buta...d_sbs_indust_17 Probably worth the extra cost to just get the vector for the warranty though, but I thought it was interesting to see either way

any comments/suggestions are much appreciated

Well, since Don Candido poo-pooed my Vector tri-Pump B) might I suggest a cheap brulee torch instead?

One of those that screw directly onto the canister would be better than those that you have to refill.

Link

Well, since Don Candido poo-pooed my Vector tri-Pump B) might I suggest a cheap brulee torch instead?

One of those that screw directly onto the canister would be better than those that you have to refill.

Link

hmm, that is quite convenient. I do want something a bit stylish though, even if it's in a rugged kinda way, which is why I like the vector nitro and blazer. A torch meant for creme brulee would be fine but I'm thinking it might be harder to find reviews/comments, and not sure how reliable they may be?

hmm, just found this

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13057451

again, almost the build is identical to the vector nitro, the design slighty different from the amazon link I posted. I assume Vector manufactures them all? I might try this one. half the price of the vector and I should be able to get it locally I think

hmm, that is quite convenient. I do want something a bit stylish though, even if it's in a rugged kinda way, which is why I like the vector nitro and blazer. A torch meant for creme brulee would be fine but I'm thinking it might be harder to find reviews/comments, and not sure how reliable they may be?

hmm, just found this

again, almost the build is identical to the vector nitro, the design slighty different from the amazon link I posted. I assume Vector manufactures them all? I might try this one. half the price of the vector and I should be able to get it locally I think

The Iwatani torch has a lot of favourable reviews on some cooking forums.

Iwatani torch

To be honest, I have one of the straight on the butane canister torches.

This was after my professional brulee cooking torch died.

One of the reason for the move was that it was cheap ($15 from the flea market - the koreans have masses of these in their grocery stores as well), has a Big a$$ flame and does what is it suppose to.

I also use for brulee, light grilling and lighting charcoals.

Have to admit though, not the best looking but very practical.

But do they die? ;)

I think all lighters eventually die...it's inevitable. The question then is whether or not they are worth repairing down the road. Xikar and some others have lifetime warranties, so whether they die or not I guess could be irrelavent if the manufacturer is willing to provide a free replacement as Xikar does.

Blazer PB-207

just googled this, then found this

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16610917

looks identical. I guess the lighter manufacturers sell to other companies who rebrand them. But I'm curious why the nitro clone at bed bath and beyond is half the price of the nitro. doesn't look as pretty but still. I think I'll go check that out in person

Link

I don't typically use anything but a lighter, but have to admit lighting a cigar with a lot of things including an oxy-acetelene cutting torch, mapp gas plumbing torch and right off of red hot steel parts!

Most canister type "camping" gas with the threaded fitting on top is odorized gas. This includes the propane and the mapp gas. That odor travels in the flame and is not totally destroyed by combustion for those with a sensitive sniffer. These torches with Venturi type emulsifiers don't mix the gas completely and there is some residual odor most of the time. I would therefore not suggest using them on a regular basis for your cigar smoking. They can foul a cigar for those who are sensitive to the smell.

The rechargeable type that takes regular butane lighter gas is not odorized for this purpose. My 2cts. -Piggy

just a very small suggestion. If you can, try using the torch before you buy it. I have used a few of these at various B&M's and some of them really irritate your thumb...its like you have to fight it to keep it on.

d

hmm, just found this

the wife has one of these, of course just used for brulee

I think all lighters eventually die...it's inevitable. The question then is whether or not they are worth repairing down the road. Xikar and some others have lifetime warranties, so whether they die or not I guess could be irrelavent if the manufacturer is willing to provide a free replacement as Xikar does.

You are absolutely correct, I dropped my Xikar tabletop in the river, mailed it to them, and they sent me a brand new one...no questions asked. I even told them I dropped it in the river.

decided to make a quick temp purchase and got a Vector Knight in gunmetal. I'm very impressed, surprisingly so. It's a cheap lighter, and I got it cheaper on ebay, just under $17 shipped, and it's brand new. It's nice and heavy, feels like great quality and it looks great. Once I try it out I might decide I don't even need anything else