hi and salmon

Ken Gargett

greetings, first, apols for my absence of late. the scumbags at tesltra shut me down and then sent a faulty modem as a replacement part - doing this from a mate's so will be off air again till probably mid next week. i have told telstra that if any of them had any pride at all, they'd shoot themselves.

also, was in nz for a week for a cloudy bay event and also spitbucket.

the cloudy bay event was their annual 'forage'.

aside from tastings, one goes off in teams to 'forage' for stuff for dinner. so some do cheese making and others, deer farms etc. our group did berries and pine nuts and a quick fish. three of us – an irish chef who doesn't fish, a very pregnant woman and me – to the wairau where i'd fished a few weeks before with limited success. we only had an hour and no waders so i am walking through the streams in my jeans. guide gives us a million reasons why no chance of catching anything, not that i needed to hear that. then first cast – a 12lb salmon!!!i have spent gazillions on flights, accom, guides, top gear, choppers, you name it, chasing that mythical ten pound fish. and then this happens. it didn't seem right. not that i'm not happy (though as i let it go, a lot of people were very grumpy and explained the concept of 'forage' to me several times).as it wasn't a trout, i have to keep going.

and if that idiot ayala mentions fishfarm, chalk it up to the never ending jealousy! i assure you it was free and wild, before and after. post-9-1299807369.jpg

Colt - always quick on the draw, cracking us all up with the PhotoShop editing! Ahhhh, if there's comfortfood, this is the closest thing to a comfort-post - the expected zinger of a photo from Colt.

Well done.

Although, before I scrolled down to see your post/picture, I half expected to see a 1/2-off-sale tag on it, or a woodchipper to the left that Ken was feeding it into.

Funny nonetheless. Just goes to show you the hopes that we have in expecting your pictures, Colt! :):D

Well done.

I appreciate the kind words, but alas, I'm afraid it's Ken's photo which has been adulterated. They stamp the farmies prior to setting them loose

in the holding tank. When you "fish" one out, that's the price you pay. I'm just trying to do my small part to help right an egregious wrong.

Good luck with telstra Ken!

Nice catch Ken...sorry to hear about your continuing problems with Telstra, but that seems to have become just an everyday part of your life at this point.

Nice catch Ken...sorry to hear about your continuing problems with Telstra, but that seems to have become just an everyday part of your life at this point.

sadly yes.

and if colt can find salmon over here for that price, farmed or otherwise, best of luck!!!

mind you the way the us$ has tanked, we are not likely to see too many of you over here to find out.

sadly yes.

and if colt can find salmon over here for that price, farmed or otherwise, best of luck!!!

mind you the way the us$ has tanked, we are not likely to see too many of you over here to find out.

Ken, next time you're up this way, I'll have you and Rob out for some nice rainbow trout/salmon/bass fishing up here.

We grow/farm/breed everything big up here! ;)B):D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

then first cast – a 12lb salmon!!!i have spent gazillions on flights, accom, guides, top gear, choppers, you name it, chasing that mythical ten pound fish. and then this happens. it didn't seem right.

nice fish ken...there's a lesson from the fishing gods in there somewhere....