How do you light your cigars?

Lighting your cigars  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious to find out how my fellow FOH'ers light their cigars.

To me, cutting and lighting a cigar is an important ritual I find it almost as enjoyable as smoking the cigar itself. The anticipation as you slowly roast the cigar above the flame to bring out its aromas is an experience I find very unique and relaxing.

As for my own preferred method: I use a soft-flame lighter when indoors, and a dual-flame torch lighter when outdoors. I like to slowly roast my cigars above the flame instead of directly lighting it.

I use a multi flame, and I voted for cut before lighting. However, I used to always light the cigar before cutting it. This was 'supposedly' to prevent the gases from the flame to be vacuumed through the stick while lighting, since the cap still being on would prevent this flow of air. I never really noticed a taste difference, and while I charred the foot on less occasions with this technique I found it easier to cut first to assess the draw. No one likes plugged cigars.

Hold on. Lighting the cigar before cutting? Never heard of that. Why would one do that? ;) Any advantages to doing so?

I read somewhere that cutting after lighting is supposed keep any nasty smoke from naturally drawing in if you get the end too hot. Kind of like hot boxing produces bitterness. I suppose if you held a blow torch directly onto it I could see where you might have an issue. To me this sounds more like someone just doesn't know how to properly light their stick.

I read somewhere that cutting after lighting is supposed keep any nasty smoke from naturally drawing in if you get the end too hot. Kind of like hot boxing produces bitterness. I suppose if you held a blow torch directly onto it I could see where you might have an issue. To me this sounds more like someone just doesn't know how to properly light their stick.

Yeah, I was told something similar. Tried it a few times but it didn't really seem to make a difference so I stopped doing it.

Really depends on wind and weather conditions for me... I prefer a soft flame but sometimes it just gets too windy so I break out the torch. I always cut before I light ;)

Yeah, I was told something similar. Tried it a few times but it didn't really seem to make a difference so I stopped doing it.

I too tried it. Didn't notice a thing. I agree with an earlier post, I like to cut first so I can test the draw. I truly think it is for those who just are clueless on how to light a cigar.

*Whew! I'm sooooo glad to see the large number of torch lighter users here! I thought only I was being "too hurried" in lighting my stogie as opposed to the looonnng - draaawwwwnnn - out process of a wooden match or cedar spill...I just don't wanna wait! Have a multi-torch that I use first. Then a single torch after mostly glowing red on the foot. Then soft flame to even out. All takes about 40 seconds. Also, speaking of lighting before cutting - noooo - but I did read somewhere that after you've finished your lighting procedure - you blow on it first, supposedly to blow off any bitterness or tar (I don't know) then you draw on it to get ultimate flavor. Don't know how true it is but I do this regularly before drawing on my cigar. My 2 cents :huh:

I like using a cedar stick. If I don't have one, I usually toast my stogie slowly above the flame. I've never heard or seen anyone light their stogie without clipping it first. Am I missing out on something? :-)

Interesting, I found a video on the subject of lighting the cigar before cutting.

I'm a little surprised by the relatively small percentage of FOH'ers that uses soft-flame lighters. I guess torch lighters are just more consistent and versatile given their performances outdoors.

Cut before lighting with a single flame torch.

But I don't draw while lighting. Just torch the foot and then blow on it. Torch again. Maybe a third time. Only then draw.

By the way, what's a disposable match? What's the difference between a disposable match and a wooden match?

I thought matches were by their very nature disposable and wooden (except maybe some little paper-and-wax matches)

I'm a little surprised by the relatively small percentage of FOH'ers that uses soft-flame lighters. I guess torch lighters are just more consistent and versatile given their performances outdoors.

Yes, as I smoke almost exclusively outdoors, a soft flame is just too much work (I used one for years). I will sometimes use a soft flame on the rare occasion

that I do smoke inside, but even then I usually find myself going back to the torch (I've a hybrid lighter that has both flames I take to lounges).

Some enjoy the formality and ceremony of slowly lighting their cigars, which is great. I fall on the other end of the spectrum (though I have also slow roasted) -

I just torch the foot until the cigar is lit - before ever taking a draw.

The end result using either method is the same - burned tobacco.

I always cut (95% of the time) or punch (5% of the time) the cigar before I light it. As you can see, I definitely prefer to cut, even though the punch looks neater; however, I have V-cuts. Indoors I typically use a soft flame lighter, outdoors I use a torch. My preference is for a single flame torch, but I've used dual and triple torches as well. Single flame torches just work better in terms of control, and for touching up, they beat all the others hands down. Hate matches, I only use them when there are no other better options. Cedar spills...tried a few times, but didn't care for it.