How do you light your cigars?

Lighting your cigars  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By the way, what's a disposable match? What's the difference between a disposable match and a wooden match?

I thought matches were by their very nature disposable and wooden (except maybe some little paper-and-wax matches)

I apologize for using such a vague term. What I meant by "disposable matches" are the free, paper matchbooks that they give you for free at restaurants or when you buy a pack of cigarettes at a convenience store, like the one in the picture below.

strike-gently-matchbooks.jpg

I apologize for using such a vague term. What I meant by "disposable matches" are the free, paper matchbooks that they give you for free at restaurants or when you buy a pack of cigarettes at a convenience store, like the one in the picture below.

Thanks. I should have known.

I cut before lighting and test draw and initial notes of flavor. Then I use a torch lighter to toast the entire foot of the cigar while NOT drawing or even having my mouth on the end of the cigar. Once the foot is entirely toasted, I then blow OUT the cigar a quick couple of times to get rid of the nasty super heated smoke, THEN I start drawing through the cigars. Works great and I don't get the gas or the super heated charred tobacco taste filtering through my cigar.

I cut before lighting (Winning!!! Duh??!!?!! - ala Chucky Sheen). Then, I generally use a single torch lighter (Colibri Ambiance). However, I'm starting to use my new triple-torch Vector Tri-pump more and more. 99% of my smoking is done outside, so these torches are best for my use.

Now, if I'm at a lounge somewhere, or it's an incredibly still and windless summer day, I do like to occasionally slow-roast and use a cedar spill, and/or a long wooden cigar-specific match.

I'm agreeing with Colt's sentiment - the end result is all the same. The purpose is to burn the damn things.

That said, and I know some others don't agree with me, but the only thing that I'm sure to NOT use is the paper Eddy matches or Bic-type lighters, and especially not the fluid Zippo lighters. To me, and my huge honker (and palate too), I just find that I can very easily detect a strong chemical smell and taste of the fluids, etc., for a good minute or two when drawing on the cigar, after using one of these methods. Not something that I want to impart on my cigar flavours, being that there's so many other ways to complete the task without leaving an unwanted aftertaste. Just my thoughts/opinions - some may not notice/detect these same odours.

I tried the cutting after thing today, though I still used a torch to light. I think it does start the cigar off a bit differently, but my guess this is more due to the smoke being a little cooler on the first puffs rather than a lack of contaminants from the torch. After the first 1/4 inch, my cigar tastes like it always does.

First of all I clip the cap off the cigar. Then, using a Xikar double torch lighter I toast the foot constantly rotating the cigar until it is completely lit. I don't puff and rotate while holding the flame to the foot as this heats up the cigar much too hot and the first draw is hot and terribly harsh. I may use more butane the way I light it, but that first puff is cool, and flavorful and butane is cheap.

If you've watched my videos, you probably have seen how i light my cigars.

Cut, the single torch DuPont does the business.

I take deep draws on the cigar while flame on, because i feel this really starts the combustion going well. Experience tells me that a cigar that starts off with a poor light will burn all over the place. So its important to get the combustion going well, to ensure that the tobacco is evenly and well lit. This tends to keep things even throughout.

Snip an eighth of an inch off the end and roast the foot with a single flame torch ie dupont round and round then a bit on the center.

Then and only then do I take a puff on it. I used to use wooden matches but since most of my smoking is outdoors and there is almost always a breeze it got frustrating. I almost never have burn issues this way.

I also am horrified when people torch the end and puff on it about ten times as they start a cloud-filled virtual inferno.

Single flame torch and cut before lighting. for me due to the fact soft flame lighters just don't cut the mustard IMO

OZ :D

When I smoke inside I use matches, when outside usually a single flame torch. I cut my cigar first, but have experimented with lighting first and then cutting, but it didn't seem to do much for me.

I've always had a problem with wet cigars that were hard to keep lit (the humidity here is killing) So I usually end up relighting my cigar a couple of times no matter how fast or slow I smoke :)

I usually toast the foot first without drawing while lighting, but yesterday I smoked a cigar outside in the rain with heavy wind and I only had a soft flame Dupont on me so I lit my cigar really fast, drawing while lighting and it was the best tasting and burning cigar I have had all year (past 3 months :unsure:) It didn't die once and the burn was razor sharp! So I might try lighting my cigars like that more often to see if it has any positive effect.

I also go for cutting the cigar first before lighting. A single flame torch does the job for me but your idea of lighting through a candle is extraordinary. Will a scented one give you a different high? I also believe on what the others said about cutting it first so as to keep the unwanted smoke from spoiling the fun.

• 1 month later...