The cigar you just don't get

... almost any robusto. They are overproduced and underwhelming. Of course there are individual exceptions. It is not as though I have never smoked a good robusto. They just generally lack the care in building of the limited production cigars I usually smoke. I do like a JL #2 now and again, and a couple of the Hermoso #4's here and there, but otherwise I think the robusto has been dumbed down to a novice cigar. -Piggy

i can go to my grave now - a post from piggy that was only three lines long!!!!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mag 46 for me also. It just never lived up to the hype.

Same here, though I have to admit my experience is limited to a single box I bought. Not awful, but not glorious either. Definitely did not live up to their billing.

Maybe it's just the box I got. Still, how can I convince myself to spring for another when this one was so lackluster?

Por Larranaga

ERDM

CoRo

Just haven't hit one that has floored me.

Now here is the big kicker...I can list just about every same cigar that all the others have mentioned. Then I can also list the same cigars as being stellar.

Crap PSD4. I kept trying. I have two 09 boxes that are mind blowing. Same with the Boli RC.

Singles of Trini T that were off the hook. I have a box that is bland as crap.

Mag 50 Tubo that was AMAZING (top 3 all time). Box that tastes different.

07 Rass that stank flavor wise. Suddenly, the box is now interesting.

I believe much of this has to do with production and the luck of the draw. Buy what is hot now. U Still take a chance on the smoke being off or not ready, so this thread is really more of a rant (which is fun to read btw), IMO. I am more in the belief that those sticks we mention that we don't get have to do with the sample being poor or not ready.

SLR DCs for me. I've smoked one every year from an 07 box and not a single one has impressed me. The first 2 were acrid and tasted of plain tobacco. The last was just plain boring.

I've been smoking these in parallel with the FOH 5 year SLR DC experiment. Btw Rob, what is going on with that 5 year experiment? :P

Funny about the Mag 46... I absolutely do not enjoy the flavor at all. Decent body, but it just doesn't "taste" good at all. Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is the VR Famosas. At least for me. A very light smoke with not a lot of noticable flavor beyond plain tobacco. I smoked one with a friend a couple of days ago, and said to him: " you know, it tastes kinda' like a Cuban attempt at a Macanudo" He burst out laughing in full agreement. I have a whole box of Clasicos, so I hope it was just a few duds.

Funny about the Mag 46... I absolutely do not enjoy the flavor at all. Decent body, but it just doesn't "taste" good at all. Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is the VR Famosas. At least for me. A very light smoke with not a lot of noticable flavor beyond plain tobacco. I smoked one with a friend a couple of days ago, and said to him: " you know, it tastes kinda' like a Cuban attempt at a Macanudo" He burst out laughing in full agreement. I have a whole box of Clasicos, so I hope it was just a few duds.

Ditto on Famosas. Had one on Friday and I have to say I'm in perfect agreement with your assessment.

Ditto on Famosas. Had one on Friday and I have to say I'm in perfect agreement with your assessment.

I had a box of famosos last year that was outstanding. Excellent construction, flavor everything, couldn't stand to age them. It turned into my cousin's favorite cigar.

BBFs for me. BRCs, BPCs and BCJrs are staples,and I love the belicoso size, so I want to like the BBF too. And others rave about them. But I've smoked through most of an '07 box, had several from an '08 HQ cab, and had a few stray singles, all with the same result -- boring. But I'm still trying! Hopefully my cab will come around with another year of age. ----Sam

For me its RASS and PSD4, this 2 I've tried several times didnt do anything for me. There are several others i've tried only once that didnt do it for me but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt it was a bad sample

Interesting takes.

I have been down on Partagas PSP2 and PSD4 for years. A complete joke compared to 898 and Connie selections.

I don't really get the Hoyo hate. Anybody had an aged Hoyo des Dieux??

My biggest head-scratcher is the SLR Regios. Love me some SLR DC (aged). Regios not my cuppa.

Interesting takes.

I have been down on Partagas PSP2 and PSD5 for years. A complete joke compared to 898 and Connie selections.

I don't really get the Hoyo hate. Anybody had an aged Hoyo des Dieux??

My biggest head-scratcher is the SLR Regios. Love me some SLR DC (aged). Regios not my cuppa.

Yes, I've had a box of 2002 Des Dieuxs since 2003. Nothing happening flavorwise there. Usually give one to the drummer in my band, who's favorite cigar is "free". :)

Yes, I've had a box of 2002 Des Dieuxs since 2003. Nothing happening flavorwise there. Usually give one to the drummer in my band, who's favorite cigar is "free". :)

Fat chance any of my bandmates would ever hand out free cigars! :fuel:

But if they did I'd pass on the Des Dieux. My 2008 box was completly lost on me. I used the balance for trade.

Once again...to each his own.

Cuban cigars I have had no luck with and no love for are:

Bolivar - Belicoso Fino, Royal Corona

Cohiba - Lancero, Genios, Magicos, Siglo VI

H. Upmann - Connaisseur No. 1, Coronas Junior/Major/Minor, Monarcas/Monarchs

Hoyo de Monterrey - Coronations, Epicure No. 1 & 2

Juan Lopez - Seleccion No. 1 & No. 2

La Gloria Cubana - Medaille d'Or No. 3, Tainos

Montecristo - Open (Junior, Master, Regatta)

Partagas - Coronas Junior & Senior

Punch - Coronations, Petit Coronations, Punch, Royal Coronations

Quai d'Orsay - Coronas, Imperiales

Romeo y Julieta - Belicosos, Churchills, Exibicion No. 3 & No. 4

Yikes! This list is getting out of control, so I won't include the ELs and REs I was planning on adding.

I have two and they're both torpedoes.

First off, the Monte 2. I've had about 4 of them and only once did I really enjoy it. Otherwise I've found it lacklustre. A fellow BOTL gave me a nice example so I'm going to give it one more shot.

Same goes with Partagas PSD2. An ok smoke but not worth my investment. I've only had two but I defintely did not find enough to like in them to get any more.

I would have to agree with the Famosas. I've prob smoked close to a box altogether with samples from ea. of the last 4yrs and while maybe a handful were worth remembering the rest were nondescript. I'd much rather smoke an Unicos out of that line and there are a handful of robustos/hermosa #4 I'd rather smoke, of course it's funny most are on this list, :o to each their own that's what I say.

Cuban: Por Laranaga Petite Corona - boring after the first 2 I had

RyJ Churchill - meh

Partagas D4 - just dont get it

Bolivar Corona Extra - unbalanced

Non Cuban: La Flor Dominica- blah

Leto Gomez--Nasty over Ligeroed piece of crap

Any Rocky Patel - rolled up pieces of paper...... crap

Any cigar that tries to be the strongest cigar you have smoked. I hate strength for strengths sake...whats the point of overdosing on nicotine? don't get it.

d

For me it's most of the cigars mentioned in this topic :P

- RASS (absolute tasteless cigar for me)

- Mag 46 & 50 (try one every year and haven't been impressed yet)

- PLPC (just can't get excited about it)

After reading some more posts I remembered another couple! (They're so worthless to me I forgot about them...)

- RyJ Churchill. The Short and Wide versions have been pretty tasteful though :D

- Partagas Serie P No. 1 (it hurts me to write this because I would love a good one, but seriously it's ****)

The Monte Sublime EL 2008... Is the one I dont get..

I Bought a couple of boxes form La Casa (Conde Villanue) in Havana on there release.

I just find them to Open a draw, with little or no flavours, and poor burn issues.

Will they get any better with age who knows, but not so far.

Just my 2p's worth

Seriesteve

For me H.Upmann all Coronas (Major, Minor) - waste of money :o

Hahaha...tastes are different. Got a sampler of three of each and thought the were fantastic, complex, and refined. Go figure!

For me the PSD4 and BBF. Don't do nuthin for me.