Barcode removed from Box

stephenbj

Hi I've recently started smoking again and I purchased a few boxes from different vendors on-line but all of them had the barcode cut out. Is this normal? or did I buy all fake smokes? I also buy my smokes from the trusted cigar shop in Hong Kong, but their price is almost 2X of what I see on those sites. I just wanted to make sure they are not fakes before I place another order. Would like to get some input from fellow cigar brothers on this site. Thanks.

I've attachted photos of a box of Mont #4 I got on-line and one that I got from Cigar shop in Hong Kong.

post-8683-1301336137.jpg

post-8683-1301336155.jpg

post-8683-1301336835.jpg

post-8683-1301336860.jpg

Here's another box of Mont LE 2010 Grand Edmundo that I got on-line.

The wrapper looks kind of funny to me. Also it has quite a bit of veins.

post-8683-1301337101.jpg

post-8683-1301337120.jpg

post-8683-1301337136.jpg

post-8683-1301337152.jpg

post-8683-1301337171.jpg

post-8683-1301337186.jpg

post-8683-1301337201.jpg

They were most likely acquired by the merchant (if the merchant ever even had them in his possession) outside of authorized channels -

a distributor, etc, supplying people outside his authorized zone.

They are most likely gray market cigars, and though not necessarily fakes, practice due diligence - buyer beware. They remove the bar

codes so they can't be traced back - such a distributor would stand to lose their license.

This is the response I recieved from a regular supplier,from this threadverification.

So I emailed one of my suppliers regarding this subject,I would add that this is a supplier whom I trust.

This is the response I recieved.

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your note.

The bar code you speak of is removed from boxes for all orders that are exported out of ????? This bar code is for traceability for Habanos distributors. As the cigars we receive from the ???????? Habanos Importer are suppose to be sold on the ???????? territory, we remove this tracing bar code to protect the local Habanos distributor. we are not suppose to sell these cigars outside of ?????????. I believe most online retailers do this, otherwise they are putting at risk the hand that supplies them.

Of course I remain at your disposal, should you need any further information or assistance.

Best regards

???????

This is a fairly straight forward answere,

They were most likely acquired by the merchant (if the merchant ever even had them in his possession) outside of authorized channels -

a distributor, etc, supplying people outside his authorized zone.

They are most likely gray market cigars, and though not necessarily fakes, practice due diligence - buyer beware. They remove the bar

codes so they can't be traced back - such a distributor would stand to lose their license.

+1

Grey market cigars. The cigars do look good though. The Monte Grand Edmundos are a treat! Enjoy!

Typical for grey market cigars. The cheapest (legit) vendors tend to do that. This in itself does not mean the cigars are fake but it does take away the ability to check the barcode on the Habanos website (not that this verification is 100% reliable either). I have a whole bunch of boxes like that and have not found any fakes. In fact, the only box of fakes I ever got was a box of Grand Edmundos (only that the insert said "Gran Edmundos" :spotlight: )

the 1 picture showed had URG JUN 10 stamped on the bottom of box. I bought a box of trinidad short robusto t edicion limitada 2010 with the same factory code. my question is do they produce montecristo and trinidad at the same factory ? if not which box is wrong ?. i looked for that factory code and couldnt find it online.

Colt, if you do come across someone that knows that code (URG) or come across that thread , could you message me with the info ?

thanks walt

Ditto, can someone PM me the info as well, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to end this Topic by saying that, most of the stuff that I thought were fakes are actually real :cigar: Being a newbie and lived in the US for 10 years, I think I was just paranoid. I mean the smokes I got were definitely real, but the quality of cigars could vary dramatically between different vendors. FoH's been a god sent for me. Lisa and the prez offers the best service amongst all my on-line and off-line sources. Thank you for everyone's input and I hope I don't have to post in this section again, because I get most of my stuff from FoH :) HQ and PSP's baby!!!!! Love em' I want the prez to sign my boxes though :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

So true on the uncertainty of dealing with a lot of vendors online. So glad I found a place like FoH to be able to discuss cigars. And definitely nice to know that a cigar fanatic like rob takes such a devoted interest in the cigars he supplies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I recently ordered a box of Partagas Serie D4 From an online vendor I also have a box that I got in Canada years ago both boxes look completely different I wonder if I got robbed here? Looks like the water marks are not visible under a UV light on the box that I am suspicious about their scratched out the areas And the barcodes are missing on the box in question. Anyone have any good takes on this thanks in advance

2F66F6A4-0889-41EF-B1DB-6C4B599568B2.jpeg

224A3846-A1D7-441B-A3DF-F66ACC440AE1.jpeg

8AF17D90-4422-47DE-AA3F-7F9DF68266F1.jpeg

CD58FD5B-7AA3-404E-9C89-87E7469A0568.jpeg

D281246F-14A2-4B20-8961-F1FC109007ED.jpeg

I recently ordered a box of Partagas Serie D4 From an online vendor I also have a box that I got in Canada years ago both boxes look completely different I wonder if I got robbed here? Looks like the water marks are not visible under a UV light on the box that I am suspicious about their scratched out the areas And the barcodes are missing on the box in question. Anyone have any good takes on this thanks in advance

45C089FB-6A9E-49C1-B3A7-4EF2CCFD2DF0.jpeg

62795DFC-0D53-47DB-A8FD-2262AE6C95CB.jpeg

DD07BD18-45F9-4FA8-8375-65C2C3025A9F.jpeg

On 8/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, Tji said:

2F66F6A4-0889-41EF-B1DB-6C4B599568B2.jpeg

Looks like seal is still there. The barcode numbers also appear in much smaller print elsewhere.

I've attached pictures of one box below.

The reason they take off the barcode and leave the tiny ones is that the tiny ones don't appear on pictures online unless you go out of your way like I did here.

Edit: Although from your picture it is unclear if the micro print little numbers have survived.

20200821_001456_copy_2442x1924.jpg

20200821_001542.jpg