FOH Blind tasting Competition

El Presidente

....This is not exactly a novice crowd and of cigar profiles the Cohiba almost always stands out. This is not a poor reflection of those who missed the cigar, but a really poor refection of the lack of quality in Cuba's flagship line. I can't believe that only 6 choose Cohiba. When I look again at the pictures of my cigar and consider what I just smoked, it is no wonder H SA has warehouses full of tobacco!

Overproduction of a cigar ruins it. This is a perfect example....

Piggy, these are all exactly my thoughts, and right to the point. I too can't believe that there were only 6 out of 57 to get it. Even from reading the reviews and seeing the pictures, I thought I'd have it down to three or four real potential options. But there were definitely some curve balls in there that no doubt got everyone curious - the construction quality on mine was utter crap (and yours too, and a few others mentioned it as well), and yet others said the construction and burn was impeccable.

Overproduction, over saturation of the brand in the market, and over extending the production of it. All factors in this, IMO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, my guess was SLR. It was so nutty and peppery, with a massively strong finish. That's normally what I find in SLRs, which normally need quite a lot of age.

But I'd never smoked a PC from this brand, was just going on flavour profile.

Come to think of it - is the SLR PC even in production?? :)

If you guys watched my video review

I specifically say that it isn't a Cohiba, it's quite shocking thats what it eventually turned out to be.

Where is the unique flavour profile?? The grassiness and hints of pepper and spice?

Amazing. I didn't think i'd get it right, but i also didn't think i'd get it so wrong! :covereyes:

Haha, bring on cigar #2!

Wow, my name is Cohiba and I didnt guess Cohiba. Well done to the winners. My cigar tasted nothing like the many Cohibas that I have smoked over the years. But I never, ever, smoke a freshie either. Congrats to all the winners. Looking forward to see if the pros can guess the next cigar correctly. Thanks for the fun Rob.

Great stuff all :):drool:

Guess the third fermentation is not all that LOL :drool:

The curve ball is that it was a 2010 cigar. It has a long time to go before it will taste like a cohiba. Thats why I dont like young cigars, they taste bad and often nothing like they should.

HSA needs to cut this crap out and get back to the old schedule of having an 18 mo- 2 year stock cycle on popular items.

I had technical difficulties and wasn't able to PM my guess to Rob, not that it mattered since I would have missed it! I figured it for a Monte 4 or a PLPC and planned on going with the Monte. Nice work to those who guessed it correctly, in my defense, it was my first Sig. II

... I want my money back!!! :)

Chris, Guy... you are not alone. Frankly I really thought that this might be an RyJ too, it was choice two, but did not think that Rob would actually put one in the mix. My stick was a real piece of ****. Usually grassy crap cigars are RyJ's in my book. Considering construction I really thought that it might have been a machine bunched and hand finished.

If that was a Siglo 2 I'll eat Rob's pink hat... But I guess with Suckling praising '10 vintage cigars I should have known! That is the first '10 vintage cigar I smoked; I can only pray that was an exceptionally bad sample. If more cigars were like that one I would give them up!

This is not exactly a novice crowd and of cigar profiles the Cohiba almost always stands out. This is not a poor reflection of those who missed the cigar, but a really poor refection of the lack of quality in Cuba's flagship line. I can't believe that only 6 choose Cohiba. When I look again at the pictures of my cigar and consider what I just smoked, it is no wonder H SA has warehouses full of tobacco!

Overproduction of a cigar ruins it. This is a perfect example.

Congrats to the winners, Nut, Van and others! Good job mates! -Piggy

Mr sapiens porcus, siglo II's are almost always ugly sticks. Had I been in it that would have been my only clue. It really would just be a guess when they are that young and nasty.

Rob knew what he was doing lol. But so did I ;-)

Interesting so far for sure. I guessed H. Upmann PC but it was a bit of a crapshoot. I felt sure that it was either an Upmann, Monte, Cohiba, or PLPC. Kind of a broad deduction I know but my cigar really didn't have much of an identity either way. It was good but no flavors stood out to tip its hat to any specific Marque. I knew it wasn't a Bolivar PC b/c I know that cigar better than I know myself but beyond that, crapshoot.

Mr sapiens porcus, siglo II's are almost always ugly sticks. Had I been in it that would have been my only clue. It really would just be a guess when they are that young and nasty.

Rob knew what he was doing lol. But so did I ;-)

I am gonna' use this comment as a case in point.

H SA et al,

Mr. C says your flagship line PC almost alway looks like ****! What a reputation to be proud of!!!

Guess what? While looks don't equal taste, one of my staples, the RG PC's almost always look fantastic!!! -LOL -Piggy

I went with something I had not smoked because that was the poorest excuse for a Cuban cigar I ever had.

From the review that never was.... First intial puffs, just strong tobacco.

Man, this smoke is starting out just plain sucking.

It never really got any better for me.

There are a ton of theories after cigar 1 ;)

So what happens if 50% of people nail cigar II.........

Always fun reading

Then I think the 6 of us who got the mareva right will be screwed, IMO. I think the piramide is going to be easiest, and felt/still feel that the mareva was hardest. So, depending on who gets what right for the robusto, things might get pretty interesting for the piramide.

I am gonna' use this comment as a case in point.

H SA et al,

Mr. C says your flagship line PC almost alway looks like ****! What a reputation to be proud of!!!

Guess what? While looks don't equal taste, one of my staples, the RG PC's almost always look fantastic!!! -LOL -Piggy

Ray I think you and I are the only two on the RGPC bus in these parts. Its sad though what a great cigar along with its bigger brother.

R

Congratulations to the 6 guys who got this right... but this is the last guess I would have made about the cigar I smoked. It was peppery and very rough, I picked RG as a blind guess. I have smoked a lot of Cohibas and have never had one taste like this.

Good luck to the guys remaining in the game, I hope you nail the rest!

Ray I think you and I are the only two on the RGPC bus in these parts. Its sad though what a great cigar along with its bigger brother.

R

I'm a huge fan of the RGCE, the RGPCs big brother. Excellent cigar. The RGPCs have been decent, but don't hold a candle to big bro.