I opened up my largest humidor and noticed a musty smell to it. I immediately removed all the cigars and rotated them and checked for mold. Nothing wrong with the stix themselves. I went to refill my humidifier bricks when it hit me. These things stink like dirty dishwater!!! :D

I've had this humi for over a year and have always used distilled water, no solution. What do I do now? My cigars have a slight mustiness to them but not too noticeable. I've let them air out for over an hour. I'm tossing the humidifiers. No sense in ruining 300+ cigars! What humidifier solution should I replace them with? I placed four Drymistat sticks in to build the humidity again? This is a fairly large humidor. Dimensions are about L*W*H (20*14*12) inches.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

*I had the same problem with mine and consulted the good folks on this forum. They told me to simply dry box them all for awhile and they should return to good as new shape. It worked. I was horrified, stricken, thought my lovely and wonderful habana aroma was done. But they came back in about 2 months or so.

Thanks everyone. I'd hate to bead this thread like a dead horse :rotfl: but I do have some beads laying around from a "frigidor" experiment that didn't work out. I'm dry boxing as of last night. The smell has pretty much subsided. I check the humi every 3-4 days so I guess I caught it soon enough.

Cheers all! :rotfl:

Hey, there is these things called Humidity Beads that hold a perfect 65% percent RH really well. You should check them out! :rotfl:

I used Heartfelt beads with great success but I know Mark at Cigarmony also carries some as well.

G

Hey, there is these things called Humidity Beads that hold a perfect 65% percent RH really well. You should check them out! :P

I used Heartfelt beads with great success but I know Mark at Cigarmony also carries some as well.

G

The reason that the beads perform so well is that they contain propylene glycol.....which is used in the pharmaceutical industry and animal feed industries to inhibit the growth of bacteria and mold....I would speculate that those folks that use beads rarely have problems with mold growth.